PDA

View Full Version : Scag/Kohler trouble

RedlightRalphs
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I have a 2003 Scag TigerCub w/20hp Kohler. It will crank and run but it when i pull the choke off, it goes dead. I know its a simple fix and i aint got the time to take it to the shop and let it set there for 2 weeks. Anybody got any ideas? Or that could help me? I would greatly appreciate it.

piston slapper
03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
You know its a simple repair...... Hmmmmmmm.....
I guess you're only familiar with the tough ones........
How about a model and spec #.......
Posted via Mobile Device

RedlightRalphs
03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Its a STC48A-20CV

ricky86
03-09-2012, 07:40 PM
To be honest, if you have no idea what would cause that particular symptom, chances of fixing it are slim. You have to start at the fuel tank and work you way to the carb or fuel injectors. It could be a cap problem, restriction in the outlet, filter, shut-off, fuel pump and anything to do with that pump, or dirt in the carb/injector. Don't overlook the shut-off solenoid, if equipped.

piston slapper
03-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Ralph.....when is the last time it ran good?
Try to listen for a click on the fuel solenoid when you turn the key on. Not to start. It is screwed into the carb bowl. I'm sure its not fuel injected.....unless I'm rumplestiltskin and been sleeping 50 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedlightRalphs
03-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I cranked it, started mulching some leaves around the house and it ran outta gas. So i refueled/switched tanks and it started this. At first it would crank run on high throttle then die. I took the parts around the carb apart and cleaned it some and wd-40'd all the throttle linkage. Once back together it now runs but will shut off when i take it off choke.

piston slapper
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
You have some water or trash in your fuel tanks, lines,filter, or carb.
Drain your fuel tanks and replace the fuel filter. You may also have to remove and clean the carb. Blow out anything that looks like a hole with compressed air or carb cleaner.

If that doesn't work...it may be time to check out the Seafoam (SNAKEOIL). Threads on this site. Rabbits Foot in a bottle is about the best.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
If that doesn't work...it may be time to check out the Seafoam (SNAKEOIL). Threads on this site. Rabbits Foot in a bottle is about the best.....

Wonder why I was think'n that the entire time I was reading.... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

ricky86
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I cranked it, started mulching some leaves around the house and it ran outta gas. So i refueled/switched tanks and it started this. At first it would crank run on high throttle then die. I took the parts around the carb apart and cleaned it some and wd-40'd all the throttle linkage. Once back together it now runs but will shut off when i take it off choke.

Try taking the line off the fuel pump, that leads to the carb. Get a container
on direct the line into it. Crank the engine. You should get a steady pulse of fuel. If not, problem is the pump or before it. If you do, problem is after the pump.