PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some wisdom

dieseltech
03-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Well guys, im starting to gain more customers from my original selects. Im now feeling the need to expand my fleet as well. As of now i have 2 toro z master 52" a 2 cycle lawnboy and all of my handhelds. As you all know this past winter was far from a slammer and what i needed to free up some cash for spring purchases. What im looking at are two options. 1 is i lay down about 4 grand on a 34" stander to help with tighter areas and gated yards. 2 is to buy a new 21" as my lawnboy is just not cutting it anymore. Poor cut quality these days and alot of use. I need something to increase productivity while keeping the quality of work that i am known for with my customers. I dont want a walk behind other than a new 21 if i go that route. Should i just lay down all of my extra cash on that stander in hopes of a good season and increase my productivity that way or do i grab a new 21 and hold off on the stander untill a later date this summer or possibly before next season. Who knows i may be able to snag both with a good season but which one for now? Thanks guys
Crm
Posted via Mobile Device

R&MLawnServices
03-08-2012, 08:11 AM
http://www.ybravo.com/store/pc/Bravo-25-Commercial-Mower-BBC-2p560.htm
I'm in the same boat, these have gotten great reviews on here.

dieseltech
03-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Those never really crossed my mind... I do really like the design of the new exmark commercial 21 which would be my top pick
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMan19
03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I would go the 21'' route, Brand wise Honda, Toro, Exmark. I know these are all real good mowers.

BestImpressions99
03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Honestly yes you'll be looking at spending triple the amount for the stand on but you'll also (safe to say) triple your productivity if not more with the stander. Unless you're solely condos and customers that require 21" mowers, you're losing productivity.

LawnMan19
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes, but with a smaller stand on rutting becomes an issue quickly.

dieseltech
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Really im torn...i can scrape up the money for the stander and have the cash for the 21 now... I have 8 gas stations that i picked up and most have small medians and tight areas in between fences and buildings. Those are the ones i need one for now and have a few other places i can use a smaller mower im sure if i think more about the other properties. I understand that with a stander over a 21 it will be more productive...but do i need it? Another option i guess would be to buy a new 21 and look for a used stander to get me by for the season to see how it plays out. I am going to a large used equipment sale at the end of the month and could look for a stander in the 2500 range or so. I will not however buy a used 21 as i like them new. Maybe the best solution? Any opinions
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
03-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, but with a smaller stand on rutting becomes an issue quickly.

Never thought about it that way...anyone have this problem with a 36" or less stander. I will be looking to get either a new 34" lesco or used wright 36"
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
03-09-2012, 03:23 AM
I think I would look into the the TORO Timemaster 30" walkbehind. Productivity would go up, just stock up on a few parts just in case. But if it holds up well after 1 year, you've not lost anything really. The cut quality looks good in the videos I've seen too. Lets face it times are getting tough and we are all cutting corners looking for timesavers. The stander would be nice too.

dieseltech
03-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Yes times are tough...but honestly i dont know that i can lay down and buy one of the timemasters that have yet to prove themselves. My business is small, growing, yet doesnt have the ability yet to be a test mule. I want and need something that i can count on day in and day out and just dont feel that that machine is it. Yes a stander would be nice as ive always wanted to try one. Just looking for the smartest option. Im sure i will make the right decision but like to hear opinions from others who have been there as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

hoyboy
03-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Only you know your aspirations about future expansion and profitability, but, generally speaking, I would not hesitate to invest a dollar in equipment to gain a dollar in productivity.

After all is said and done, the cost of equipment is far cheaper than the cost of labor...so investing in labor saving equipment is a good way to go. And frankly, there aren't too many pieces of equipment that will save you as much as the stander....it has revolutionized this business.

dieseltech
03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Only you know your aspirations about future expansion and profitability, but, generally speaking, I would not hesitate to invest a dollar in equipment to gain a dollar in productivity.

After all is said and done, the cost of equipment is far cheaper than the cost of labor...so investing in labor saving equipment is a good way to go. And frankly, there aren't too many pieces of equipment that will save you as much as the stander....it has revolutionized this business.

Well said my man!... Anyone else?
Posted via Mobile Device

Set Apart Lawn Care
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Factors I dont know that would shape this decision
1. How much money you have, I'd say dont spend it if you dont have it
2. how often you need something that small, I need it on about 80% of my yards so a 21" was not an option, had to be bigger.

Are you against a 36" walk behind, might be a good solution as they are bigger than a 21" and I keep hearing the smaller standers rut really bad, never used one myself. Plus the price is a bit less than a stander.

I will say this, Ive never regretted going with a stronger, quicker machine, and have regretted buying something a little less than what I could to save a buck.

dieseltech
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Well to answer those ?
It would be money i have. Im a tight ass when it comes to spending if i dont have to and i have never borrowed a dime for equip.

I could use a smaller piece about 60% of the time to save headache and speed up productivity

I would rather a stander over a wb if im going that size but if rutting is a major issue then i may stay clear of them and reconsider.

Hopefully someone with a small stander will chime in soon
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Rutting would be an issue with the stander. Plus how hard is it to jump curbs and medians? The 30" Timemaster would be perfect for islands and medians and rutting would not be an issue.

Plus most 36" decks have no extra trimside, so it's hard to mow next to something without scraping a wall or house. Something to consider, a 42" would possibly be better on a stander.

dieseltech
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I dont see jumping curbs or medians being too much of an issue. While a good thought, 42" would be too large to fit inside a 36" gate opening. As of right now hearing the rutting arguement i am leaning towards a new 21 and possibly a nice 36wb with a sulky... Man the timemaster is just not thrilling me. Being non commercial and new to the market. I dont have a huge budget and just feel safer going with something a little more tried and true altho i do appreciate your opinion of it!
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
As a side note. I am also thinking that i may save it till next year and possibly look for a leaf vac and dump trailer later this season as i get alot of leaf requests but have to turn away some to a friend because of my inability to productively do leaves. So a 21 may be best at this point in the game.
Posted via Mobile Device

BestImpressions99
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Ok, after seeing your post about the amount of times you need a smaller peice of equipment here is my 1.5 cents. Sell your largest mower... or the other rider, doesn't matter. By saying that you would need something smaller over half the time that answers the dilema about what to get. Use the money from selling the mower to put towards the new smaller mower... Yes, trading it at a dealer will not get you solid worth but you could put it on CL or even here at the classifieds section but once you sell the equipment it's 2000 or 3000 that you didn't have or won't worry about spending. Get a smaller stand on. But most importantly if you're wondering about the rutting that being said here... Demo demo demo.

dieseltech
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Funny you say that..my oldest z master is being picked up tomorrow lol. Really looking to keep that in an emergency fund for later. Hmmm
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
03-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Welli believe for as much as i will use this smaller mower i am going to go ahead with the 21... Right now i see that as a better way for me to go. I can always get a bigger one if demand arises during the season. Going to go pick up a new exmark commercial 21x series this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

2brothersyardcare
03-10-2012, 05:12 PM
buy a small walk behind

ArieMcD
03-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Take a look at the Stander X. I have the 48" which took over from my eXmark and my customers love it. Great on hills and pretty good on fuel. I looked at the Toro Grandstand which is awesome in its own right. I just liked the compactness of the Wright and the Kawasaki engine it uses (FX Series).

Cut is beautiful.