PDA

View Full Version : ROPS Bar

Golden Boy
03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
How many people around here fold their Rops bar down so it is not doing what is intended? I have heard so many excuses as to why people keep them folded down or take them off completely. How do you think that conversation with an employee's family at their funeral when he flips that mower on top of themselves? What do you think your insurance and worker's comp policies are going to be like after that? If there is one thing that could change this year is for this industry to become safer. Wouldn't we be taken more as professionals if we follow the letter and the law of all safety rules. This one seems fairly easy to fix. Use the ROPS bar. If it is below your head, it does NO GOOD. Who agrees with me??:waving:

TNGrassCutter
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Have you ever tried to mow around a tree with one up?
Posted via Mobile Device

stephen424
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
yea, i took mine off completely. all of my lawns are flat so i don't invision myself rolling over. want to know more unsafe things i do?
* sometimes i forget to wear my seat belt
* i eat steak often
* i speed on my motorcycle
* i drink sodas often
* sometimes, when i'm feeling lazy, i don't tie my shoe strings

want more?

crazymike
03-08-2012, 12:17 PM
How many people around here fold their Rops bar down so it is not doing what is intended? I have heard so many excuses as to why people keep them folded down or take them off completely. How do you think that conversation with an employee's family at their funeral when he flips that mower on top of themselves? What do you think your insurance and worker's comp policies are going to be like after that? If there is one thing that could change this year is for this industry to become safer. Wouldn't we be taken more as professionals if we follow the letter and the law of all safety rules. This one seems fairly easy to fix. Use the ROPS bar. If it is below your head, it does NO GOOD. Who agrees with me??:waving:

Sunshine Groundscare, which is now the Grounds Guys, had a machine with a modified rollbar. The machine rolled somehow and injured an employees foot. Before the case was investigated they reinstalled the rollbar.

Not only were they fined for operating machinery without property safety equipment, they were fined an additional $40,000 for obstructing an investigation. As well as whatever money they lost from lawsuit by the employee.

Although extreme, removing a rollbar is not a good idea. Fold it down, if you still can't get in there use a WB

Ray_Lawns
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Stephen, I can relate on the shoestrings since i havent tied mine in years. i stuff the strings down in there and let um ride. Now as far as the sodas go what are you trying to do kill yourself? Slow it down bud you are gonna kill yourself! Haha

JD997
03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Golden Boy, after 31 years of mowing rops up and seat belt on.

Ridin' Green
03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
I won't tell anyone else how to use theirs, since I have no right to in the first place, and I am not there to see the conditions they cut under in the second place.

I have mine folded 99% of the time, since almost everything I mow is flat enough that a chance of a roll over is just about zero. If I have to mow on a bank or hillside, it goes up and the seat belt goes on.

Going by the OP's example of how a machine could flip, that's true enough under certain circumstances, but by the same token, that same employee could be injured, or killed just as easily if the machine he is riding has a ROPS up and snags a branch and flips him over backwards, or sidways into something.

The only person who can make the determination for up or down is the owner and/or operator of the machine IMO.

Mickhippy
03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
If ROPS where designed better then they wouldnt need to come off. Take the Scag Cheetah, great, fold right out of the way. Then look at the Super Z, even folded the lower part sticks out over the fuel tanks and hinge is way to high. Up or down it will snag on a tree. If it doesnt flip over backwards, itll break the branch it it'll come down on ya head. Safer to have them off altogether.

I have to take it off my SZ, I dont have a choice. EVERY property I do has trees.

orangemower
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
That was the first thing I removed when I brought my mower home. It's useless for me. I don't cut any hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Have you ever tried to mow around a tree with one up?
Posted via Mobile Device

actually yes......

up until last year I had only demo'd sit down ztrs. last season my grandstand was in the shop and the only loaner they had for me was a sit down. I raised the ROPS every time I pulled out of the trailer.

by the end of the week I had a few property's the ROPS got caught on a tree limb. one property the front end rose and the rear took a chunk of turf out.

TNGrassCutter
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I hang trees and ride wheelies with mine folded down.
Posted via Mobile Device

scotts lawn care
03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Mine is folded down until i get to a job that is a little hairy-steep. Then it goes up and the seat belt gets buckled. I appreciate the reminder to be safe out there.

weeze
03-08-2012, 06:50 PM
i always leave mine folded down. that's one good thing about the deeres and scag cheetah. they fold down below the level of the seat and are tucked in really nicely. i don't even fold mine up when mowing hills. you will lose traction and slide before you will flip over sideways on a hill.

ed2hess
03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I hung a tree and it almost smashed my head into the limb.......guess who took his killer rops off real quick.

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

the tree I hung that dug out the turf would have gotten hung even if I did fold it down. I just forgot all about it since I'm not use to.

but I did use it all week and I mow mostly flat properties. I'm a stickler for safety.

agrostis
03-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I agree with you Goldenboy.

MOW ED
03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
You cant argue safety. My problem is I own a 2003 Zero Turn and back then they did not come with the roll bars. I have never come close to flipping but I know that an accident can happen in a second. When I finally upgrade, the rops will be up with the belt on when I am working.

Golden Boy
03-08-2012, 08:53 PM
For those that are catching trees, explain to your customer the safety aspect and explain the need to limp up the trees or enlarge the tree ring. If you cant do it safely, you shouldn't do it. I wish I was so ignorant to the dangers out there to think that I am invincible.

Golden Boy
03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
limb not limp

Kelly's Landscaping
03-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Nearly broke my hand twice having a branch I was directing out of my way slam my hand in to the folded ROPS. Sorry but I do not agree they do not work for us here. We are mostly flat with a few 5-10 degree grades. The hills are not what kills the majority of the 1-3 people that die on ZTRs per year anyways its getting pinned when they roll them into ponds and lakes and other water hazards. If you don't mow around water you have removed most of your risks. You got a far greater chance of losing an eye to a branch you didn't see till it was too late should we all wear motor cycle helmets now too.

yardguy28
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Nearly broke my hand twice having a branch I was directing out of my way slam my hand in to the folded ROPS. Sorry but I do not agree they do not work for us here. We are mostly flat with a few 5-10 degree grades. The hills are not what kills the majority of the 1-3 people that die on ZTRs per year anyways its getting pinned when they roll them into ponds and lakes and other water hazards. If you don't mow around water you have removed most of your risks. You got a far greater chance of losing an eye to a branch you didn't see till it was too late should we all wear motor cycle helmets now too.

I do.....

seriously you should be wearing eye protection and that will aid in keeping your eyes safe......

Kelly's Landscaping
03-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Yea eye protection is a must not a helmet. I never do anything with out the glasses and headphones on. But I once had a freak incident where the lawn had trees on the edge and the maples branches hung down so low you had to drive through them with each pass. Now that is normally very safe the ends of them are soft but the homeowner had cut them and left the tips as 1 inch thick points and then the leaves grew in and hid the danger. Had one hit my cheek as I'm driving forward scratch it up to my eye then hopped the eye ripping the glasses off my face from under them then scratched my forehead on its way back as it ripped my headphones off as well. But even with all that danger I still wouldn't wear a helmet. That's one time in 23 years of more then 2000 lawn cuts a year done by me.

clydebusa
03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
yea, i took mine off completely. all of my lawns are flat so i don't invision myself rolling over. want to know more unsafe things i do?
* sometimes i forget to wear my seat belt
* i eat steak often
* i speed on my motorcycle
* i drink sodas often
* sometimes, when i'm feeling lazy, i don't tie my shoe strings

want more?

Man all that stuff is me also. I will add liquor and beer and somtimes I drink them the same day.

tbone3
03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I only put mine up and wear a seat belt when I'm mowing on a hill. Other then that it stays down...

Tom

MTenterprises
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I keep mine up because I have a sound bar on mine and KC lights because I mow at night, blasting AC DC back in black! :hammerhead: Hahaha.

Seriously, I flip it up on hills, but it is down most of the time bc of low branches etc.