PDA

View Full Version : crazy ethanol

williams lcm
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
It is just me or am I crazy that my equipment takes about 10-20 pulls to get running when the heat and humidity increase during the day. 1 or 2 pulls in the morning. It is not just one brand of handhelds. They all act the same from the ethanol seperating from the gas. It pissies me off so much. My customers see me struggling to get the equipment running. It is all fairly new equipment. I tried some fuel additivies and nothing works. What are u guys using to help combat this situation?

weeze
03-08-2012, 07:32 PM
there's something wrong with your equipment. mine starts on first or second pull every time first thing in the morning. the rest of the day they start first pull every time. make sure you use 89 or higher octane and not 87.

ed2hess
03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Mechanic in a bottle and if it doesn't work then your equipment needs repair.

ed2hess
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
This stuff is recommended by the Echo Regional Technical Representative after they tested several products. I use it and it better than Sea Foam

http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/mechanic-in-a-bottle/

weeze
03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
yeah try mechanic in a bottle, stabil, or sea foam. any of those should help clean it out a good bit.

Patriot Services
03-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Try a bottle of ethanol shield. If that improves the situation there you go. If not you may have other issues. Running 93 octane can cause hard starting by its very nature. Even in FL heat its only 2 pulls when hot on Echo and Stihl.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-08-2012, 11:53 PM
What type of fuel grade are you running?
You should be running at least 89 with a high quality 2-stroke oil.
I run 91 with stihl HP ultra.

ed2hess
03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
What type of fuel grade are you running?
You should be running at least 89 with a high quality 2-stroke oil.
I run 91 with stihl HP ultra.

My experience with a large bunch of 2 stroke Echo is they do not start or run better with octane above 87 ever. It is way better to use something that will take any water out of the gas from the ethenol....like Mechanic in a bottle.

Patriot Services
03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
My experience with a large bunch of 2 stroke Echo is they do not start or run better with octane above 87 ever. It is way better to use something that will take any water out of the gas from the ethenol....like Mechanic in a bottle.

Ed gets a check every time somebody says "mechanic in a bottle". Let's help him out.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
there might be something wrong with your equipment but the fuel thing is garbage.

I've NEVER purchased an ounce of anything except 87 octane fuel for anything.

my equipment has NEVER given me problems starting either.

ngibson6
03-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I have never understood the whole ethanol problem. I have never had any problems that could be traced back to ethanol. The best example I can give is my dad bought a stihl brush cutter back in 1987. It has never has the gas emptied out before winter or any of that crap. It has all the original fuel lines, primer bulb, ect. It has never had any engine repairs of any kind. So my point is this, if anyone really thinks they have problems because of ethanol, they don't. I won't argue that fuel lines today do fall apart over time, but has anyone stopped to think it's because they are made with substandard materials? Engine manufacturers know what they are up against and refuse to deal with it. Also, it seems the whole ethanol thing seems to be more prevalent in the the south. I'm originally from up north and remember when ethanol was going to be put in gas. Everyone was saying that cars weren't going to last as long, lawn mower engines would blow up, ect. None of this happened.

weve
03-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Try fuel without ethanol. There are several options in your area. Check at pure-gas.org.

cgaengineer
03-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Try a bottle of ethanol shield. If that improves the situation there you go. If not you may have other issues. Running 93 octane can cause hard starting by its very nature. Even in FL heat its only 2 pulls when hot on Echo and Stihl.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is true...higher octane does not mean more power, easier starting, cleaner engine...it's simply formulated to prevent detonation which means it prevents the combustion mixture from premature ignition.

Now if you have a turbo, supercharger or high compression it will prevent pre ignition.
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad
03-10-2012, 07:43 AM
For What It Is Worth: A test and report was published in our area two years ago. Seems that ethanol was to blame for the deterioration of plastic fuel lines in many chain saws and weed trimmers. The mechanic of a the best and largest repair shop reported that their business was because of the ethanol in gasoline and that most repairs could have been prevented by using non-ethanol gas. I now only use non-ethanol gas in my equipment and small lawn mowers. Haven't had any of them to fail since the report.

Richard Martin
03-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't have problems with starting or the fuel going bad quickly. My problems are related to the primer bulbs on Stihl equipment and fuel lines that degrade quickly. I do believe the primer bulb problem is actually a Stihl design flaw. All of the primer bulbs that I have problems with are exposed to the sun. Everybody but Stihl has the primer bulb on the bottom of the carb. Stihl's bulbs are on top or facing out so the sun can hit them all of the time.

Ironically enough though my Stihl fuel lines often outlast the fuel lines on my other equipment. The fuel lines on my Tanaka trimmer are good for about 3 months beofer they have to be changed.

I can leave gas untreated and still use it for months at a time.

doyles
03-10-2012, 08:36 AM
i run 87 octane gas and opti 2 oil. no problems but i only buy enough premix
gas to last about a3 to 4 weeks.
i don't know about the ethanol thing we run our trimmers and mowers
weather its sunny out or pouring rain.

mowingmachine
03-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I really don't think your problem is related to ethanol fuel. I have mentioned this is past posts about ethanol fuel. In Illinois we haven't had a choice in about 10 years. Everything is ethanol regardless of octane. I never have issues with running ethanol fuel and it is a rare situation when somebody says that they do. In fact I have less carburator issues since using ethanol. Fuel systems stay much cleaner. I wonder if down south they are doing something different with their ethanol fuel.

mowingmachine
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Also 87 octane is more than adiquate. It is what all of these small engines are designed to run on. You are just throwing money away if you run the higher octane fuel.

cgaengineer
03-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I really don't think your problem is related to ethanol fuel. I have mentioned this is past posts about ethanol fuel. In Illinois we haven't had a choice in about 10 years. Everything is ethanol regardless of octane. I never have issues with running ethanol fuel and it is a rare situation when somebody says that they do. In fact I have less carburator issues since using ethanol. Fuel systems stay much cleaner. I wonder if down south they are doing something different with their ethanol fuel.

We may have higher humidity and more variations in changing temps which cause condensation...that being said, I have had one fuel related problem that I could not figure out...A mikuni fuel pump just dissolved after 4 years...a second one did the same thing after 1 month (non mikuni) a third pump was installed last season and no problems yet (mikuni Oem)
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Also 87 octane is more than adiquate. It is what all of these small engines are designed to run on. You are just throwing money away if you run the higher octane fuel.

Stihl suggests 89 but I still run 87.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Charles
03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
The new additives have made 87 octane better than it used to be. I have had this problem too when it gets really hot and humid. Could be Vapor Lock:

"In hot weather, excessive volatility results in what is known as "vapor lock", where combustion fails to occur, because the liquid fuel has changed to a gaseous fuel in the fuel lines, rendering the fuel pump ineffective and starving the engine of fuel."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

yardguy28
03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
weird I read all the time about guys having problems with fuel ones and primer bulbs. the same fuel lines and primer bulbs that are on my exmarks, toros and stihl equipment.

I've never had a primer bulb go bad or a fuel line deteriorate. I use 87 octane an up until 2 years ago for mix it was whatever oil lowes sells. now because of the trimmer I have I use the gray stihl bottles from my dealer in all handhelds.

Richard Martin
03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
weird I read all the time about guys having problems with fuel ones and primer bulbs. the same fuel lines and primer bulbs that are on my exmarks, toros and stihl equipment.

I've never had a primer bulb go bad or a fuel line deteriorate. I use 87 octane an up until 2 years ago for mix it was whatever oil lowes sells. now because of the trimmer I have I use the gray stihl bottles from my dealer in all handhelds.

Well, what do you want? A Brownie button? I'm not doing anything to cause these problems. Perhaps you have an explanation? ;)

yardguy28
03-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, what do you want? A Brownie button? I'm not doing anything to cause these problems. Perhaps you have an explanation? ;)

hmmm brownie......

no I just think its weird how some experience problems with a certain brand and others have no problem with that same brand.

ed2hess
03-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Ed gets a check every time somebody says "mechanic in a bottle". Let's help him out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know why I am pushing this stuff so hard......they tore my head off over in the mechanic section. The sales guy was just like those ole timeee medicine guys. He had all these charts and bottles and chemicals and he wouldn't stop talking. He had the sea foam the stabil and all the big names. Guess what tipped me was the Echo technical guy who said they tested the product and we really really do need to put something in our gas to take out any water. Especially in diesel engines. I did my own test with some water in gas and it did keep the water suspended for several days and the stabil and sea foam didn't. I think I will stop talking about it just like I did Stihl blowers what the heck.

cgaengineer
03-10-2012, 07:42 PM

I actually want a brownie...alamode would be good...
Posted via Mobile Device