PDA

View Full Version : Toro Timemaster has answered a lot of my problems.

instyle
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
30" = 40% faster. Where is the drawback?

A lot of people on this site are saying "it is a consumer model", I say big fricken deal!

Currently I run 5 - Honda HRX 21" mowers (cunsumer model) 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I need more staff this year.

Here is the math:

5 FT employees = $2700/month (taxes in) = $13500 in payroll each month

I can give 3 of my guys a Timemaster and they can cut the same amount of grass. So....3 FT employees @ $2700 = $8100

Result: I save $5400 PER MONTH.

I can buy a new mower for each employee...every month and still come out ahead! (I am guessing they will last 1 season)

In my area, our grass must be bagged, we can't really mulch, I own a 36" walker walk behind, and I rarly use it.

People say "it will be underpowered" yet nobody who has one says it is. It has 2 - 15 blades. I am assuming it takes the same power to spin 2 - 15" blades as oppsed to 1- 21' blade. Think about your weed wacker....the shorter the stringthe faster it can spin.

I will buy 4 timemasters, I will buy extra transmissions, wheels, blades and belts, and in my honest opinion, come out ahead! With less man power related head aches!

Ps: I am not a noobie at this. lol

Comments??

MOturkey
03-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Comments? Yes. What is the point? If you have enough business for three fulltime employees, why would you purchase new mowers that you think will only last one season? Why not buy full commercial mowers that will probably create less downtime, have two year warranties, and will likely last several years if you service them regularly?

In my opinon, your thinking is flawed. If you were a newbie just starting out, with limited business and resources, I can see the "crawl before you walk" mentality, but I don't see why anyone experienced in business would purchase a consumer mower for anything other than occasional use. A 21 inch mower is a far cry from a Z. Not much to go wrong with a 21, lots to go wrong with a Z.

instyle
03-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Fact of the matter is....everyone here runs 21" mowers, everyone! Our yards are 5000 sqft. Meaning everyone runs Honda HRX mowers - they will only last 2 years at best. They are a lot lighter less taxing than the commercial HRC, which might last 5 years.

Even then....40% time savings....what I spend in equipment cost, I will save double in labour. Plus, I have new machines every year (which is fun), and the operators of these machines will not suffer the mind numbing mentality they all get after being on one site too long.

headz77
03-08-2012, 10:28 PM
What % of your day is spent mowing? Only 40% or so of that time is saved, I'm not sure the math is quite so straight forward...

But if it works for you- great!
Posted via Mobile Device

petscanning
03-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Made up my mind I'm getting one. I have one guy I call in to help me but he works but has no eye for precision. I can get rid of him get things done right and come out ahead not having to pay him. Its the American way make more use less people

instyle
03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
We have very large condo complex's, some take 6 hours, just to cut (with 4-21"'s). 80% of our day is spent mowing. so we'll save 40% of 80%......awesome!

MOturkey
03-09-2012, 08:53 AM
If your lawns are only 5,000 square feet, why not go to walk-behinds? A 36 inch WB would increase productivity tremendously and likely give a better cut than a Timecutter.

petscanning
03-09-2012, 09:34 AM
If your lawns are only 5,000 square feet, why not go to walk-behinds? A 36 inch WB would increase productivity tremendously and likely give a better cut than a Timecutter.
Maybe faster but better cut not sure about that. Screw it I'm going to buy one today and I will try to keep up with hours and lawns mowed. I bet you see all the other makers come out with something like this in a year or two I bet. Americans always want the fastest, largest, noisiest, coolest thing out there. I bet the profit margin on this is huge as well for the maker.

billpiper
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I had a $600 (new, consumer grade) 21" Honda HRX that lasted 6 years with no major repairs with occaisional use. A timecutter for $1000 that's 40% more efficient, if it held up like that Honda, would be a much better deal. With 2 blades, the Timecutter would be a more complicated machine, but I expect you could get 2 or 3 years out of it - for occaisional use. Maybe by then Some one will come out with a commercial grade similar machine. For my really small lawns, I can throw the Timecutter in the pick-up with the Kombi and the blower and go cut grass. Can't do that with the 36" - at least not easily.

A commercial 32" - 36" WB is $3K for a belt drive & $4.5K to 5K for a Hydro. For occaisional use, it would probably last until I die. It weighs at least 400 lb, uses more gas and is definitely a more complicated machine than the Timecutter.

Cut quality - one guy on here has bought and used a timecutter and he says it cuts good. I'm thinking of buying one because I think it fits my needs, instead of another consumer grade 21" simply because it ups my production for what I need it for.

instyle
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

I don't get it, tremendously??? How, is because they are faster? How do they bag??? This is a 30" rear bagger, and that to me is the important part.

I have 4 Timemasters on order, I will be putting hour meters on them, so I can track this seasons performance. So long as the quality of cut is there....I don't see a problem.

Not to mention 4 timemasters will cost the same as a single WB (maybe a bit more), and the timemaster will be easier to train a guy on, and not tear the grass with new operators.

instyle
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I had a $600 (new, consumer grade) 21" Honda HRX that lasted 6 years with no major repairs with occaisional use. A timecutter for $1000 that's 40% more efficient, if it held up like that Honda, would be a much better deal.

I am in Canada....and as such....our HRX mowers atart at $1100. Our Home Depots don't carry Honda's either. Hell all winter I was planning a trip down south to stock up on HRX's and other stuff. We get hosed on Honda's for sure. lol

So now the timemaster is cheaper = win win

BBC.lawn.services
03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
As long as they last for a little bit sounds like you've got a good plan figured out. Keep up updated on how the hold-up and if they break which parts are going down etc. Think about it man.... You'll be famous being the Toro 30" representative...

mowerbrad
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I like the idea of the timemaster, personally I would rather use a 30" machine over a 21" machine. I think for people who use a 21" regularly, the timemaster could save them quite a bit of time. You can fit a 30" anywhere a 21" will go, esepecially since both machines are setup almost identical.

I am quite interested in hearing about how well they work out for people. I think depending on how well they hold up, they could become quite a bit more popular.

All_Toro_4ME
03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
definately interested in see how it they hold up for ya.

petscanning
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I just ordered mine so I will pick up this afternoon from my dealer. Got my military discount too

greenerman
03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=instyle;4342761]Fact of the matter is....everyone here runs 21" mowers, everyone! Our yards are 5000 sqft. Meaning everyone runs Honda HRX mowers - they will only last 2 years at best. They are a lot lighter less taxing than the commercial HRC, which might last 5 years.

I am in Canada too. Everyone hear is running 21's. It rains a lot here and I have to cut in the rain to keep up with my schedule. Apparently the time master does not bag wet grass, typical Toro. Waiting for my YBravo 25.

instyle
03-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I am in Canada too. Everyone hear is running 21's. It rains a lot here and I have to cut in the rain to keep up with my schedule. Apparently the time master does not bag wet grass, typical Toro. Waiting for my YBravo 25.

Sorry to hear that. We dont have the issue with the rain. The odd time we may venture out when wet, and even our Honda`s don`t perform the best with wet grass.

instyle
03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I look forward to giving reviews on these machines to you guys. I have called a few other LCO`s around town and have told them to look into this machine. As long as the quality of cut is up there, I know ill be happy

J & D Greens
03-09-2012, 11:33 PM
My dealer had their annual open house today. They had the Toro Timemaster mowers for $999.99. The thing is I am not impressed with this mower at all. I hope it works for you but I run those Toro (Suzuki) Prolines and a 32" Encore. No problems to speak of other than the normal wear and tear you would experience on any machine. I'm also looking for a slightly larger machine since 90% of my lawns are around the 5,000 sq. ft. too, but I would rather try out the Worldlawn 28" mower before I would consider wasting my money on a residential mower again. (I started with those residential mower and had to have two back-up mowers just to keep one working through to the end of the week not the case with commercial equipment.) Toro needs to take this machine and make one that appeals to guys like us who want a in-between 21"-32" and make it commercial grade. Then you will have my interest!!!!

I hope you do well with the Timemaster but I'm holding my breath.

HPSInc
03-09-2012, 11:53 PM
i just saw one today at my local hardware store. it was 1149. the employee showed me the features real quick before i left. seemed good for the money but definately screamed johnny homeowner.

petscanning
03-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Well got my timemaster today and it is fast. I pushed it down and you can jog with it. I was mowing my lawn and laughing how fast this thing will go. Will try it a customers house tomorrow

FastMan
03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Well got my timemaster today and it is fast. I pushed it down and you can jog with it. I was mowing my lawn and laughing how fast this thing will go. Will try it a customers house tomorrow

Look forward to your detailed reports. Still waiting for mine to arrive at the dealer. They're in short supply out here.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Wish I had one of these today. I powerraked a yard that was kinda hilly and not level. My side catcher on my 36" always falls right off. After it fell off for the 4th time I grabbed my 21" Honda and realized the trans must have went out because the wheels no longer turn. What a lovely day. Sore feet full of blisters, sore back, and a few customers I wish I'd never met.

petscanning
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I did my first paying lawns today and it did shave quiet a bit of time off my route today. Did a nice mulching up some left over leaves as well. Still not totally used to the drive. It has soe much power it will take off like a bat out of hell so hang on.

MOturkey
03-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Hey guys, my bad. I just now realized you were talking about a walk-behind type of mower. I was thinking about the Toro Timecutter (I think that is the model), a residential Z. Just forget everything I said. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

MJB
03-11-2012, 04:32 AM
Hey guys, my bad. I just now realized you were talking about a walk-behind type of mower. I was thinking about the Toro Timecutter (I think that is the model), a residential Z. Just forget everything I said. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

I know which one you were thinking of my neighbor has one and they are weak as expected.

Yea this is just a walkbehind I kind of laugh at how serious everyone gets over a walkbehind being commercial or residential. I just like the size of the Timemaster , I'm sure some on here will tear em up, and some will get 2 to 5 years out of them. I would not buy a Timemaster for over fertilized spring growth type lawns, but for lawns that grow 2 inches per week should be fine.

FastMan
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Now your persistence makes sense, turk. I'd agree with you in regards to the Timecutter.

Exact Rototilling
03-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Well I saw this mower at my dealer today. I looked more flimsy on the pictures here on lawnsite than it does in person. I'm still intrigued by the.mower and I'm more impressed seeing it in person. The blades look like they will do okay. If I was to buy one I'd want to chase down the best possible blades I could find for the mower ASAP for the wet grass bagging drill. Can someone post pics of a removed Toro 30 blade and how it is kept in time star pattern etcetera. Has anyone chased down matching blades in the Oregon ® catalog that will.work....?

Any updates if Toro is shipping high lifts for this yet....? There.was some.sort of.hold.up from.what was.mentioned in.another thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenerman
03-16-2012, 01:48 AM
If I was to buy one I'd want to chase down the best possible blades I could find for the mower ASAP for the wet grass bagging drill.

Doubt that this puppy will bag wet grass no matter what blades you use. Has anyone who bought one of these tried cutting wet grass?

OakNut
03-16-2012, 01:56 AM
If I was to buy one I'd want to chase down the best possible blades I could find for the mower ASAP for the wet grass bagging drill.

Doubt that this puppy will bag wet grass no matter what blades you use. Has anyone who bought one of these tried cutting wet grass?

:nono: All homeowners know that you don't cut grass when it's wet. :laugh:

Exact Rototilling
03-16-2012, 02:02 AM
:nono: All homeowners know that you don't cut grass when it's wet. :laugh:

Funny....I saw a stubborn homeowner mowing wet grass last year. It had just rained and I was grinding out a lawn with my Ybravo 25 and I was thinking, "...the.grass is wet why push it...clumps, bogging, mowed Hayfield effect for the poor Guy" :confused:

Not everyone can own a Ybravo 25 :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
03-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Well I saw this mower at my dealer today. I looked more flimsy on the pictures here on lawnsite than it does in person. I'm still intrigued by the.mower and I'm more impressed seeing it in person. The blades look like they will do okay. If I was to buy one I'd want to chase down the best possible blades I could find for the mower ASAP for the wet grass bagging drill. Can someone post pics of a removed Toro 30 blade and how it is kept in time star pattern etcetera. Has anyone chased down matching blades in the Oregon ® catalog that will.work....?

Any updates if Toro is shipping high lifts for this yet....? There.was some.sort of.hold.up from.what was.mentioned in.another thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

After seeing some of your pictures of the thick wet grass you cut with the YBravo, I would have my doubts that this mower could bag that heavy of grass. I think it would be great on average lawns taking off no more than 2 ". Don't see how it would have the hp for your lawns. High lift blades will suck the HP which it does not have any excess. But I may get one too after my season starts up. Which dealer did you see one at in Spokane?

Exact Rototilling
03-16-2012, 02:19 AM
After seeing some of your pictures of the thick wet grass you cut with the YBravo, I would have my doubts that this mower could bag that heavy of grass. I think it would be great on average lawns taking off no more than 2 ". Don't see how it would have the hp for your lawns. High lift blades will suck the HP which it does not have any excess. But I may get one too after my season starts up. Which dealer did you see one at in Spokane?

Saw it CDA Tractor today $1099 electric start only. Spokane Power Tool has them in stock now $999 assuming pull start. I had CDA Power tool call over.there today.

It might do okay with higher lift blades but you are correct Ybravo uses a Ariens Gravely type top deck square discharge and it.moves a lot of air.

I belive my Q32 with the highest lift blades Oregon ® 99-127's will beat the Toro in wet bagging....but a side.catcher is a pita in tight spots when you have to.bag.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenerman
03-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Save the kicken yourself and spend the extra $$ now and buy a Bravo 25. Why waste a grand. I can't see this plastic wheeled piece holding up to day in and out running. Does this B & S engine even have a lined cylinder? At least wait and see what the commercial unit will offer.

MJB
03-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Save the kicken yourself and spend the extra $$ now and buy a Bravo 25. Why waste a grand. I can't see this plastic wheeled piece holding up to day in and out running. Does this B & S engine even have a lined cylinder? At least wait and see what the commercial unit will offer.

It's basically a larger version of the 22" Personal Pace residential mower. Funny thing is I have one of those and I can replace most parts by visiting Home Depot. Plus the cut quality as good as a Honda Commercial mower. I bought it when my Honda went down and was in a bind, surprised how well it cuts. Now it may not last as long but at 30" per cut I would risk a grand to save time and steps .

instyle
03-18-2012, 09:06 PM
It's basically a larger version of the 22" Personal Pace residential mower. Funny thing is I have one of those and I can replace most parts by visiting Home Depot. Plus the cut quality as good as a Honda Commercial mower. I bought it when my Honda went down and was in a bind, surprised how well it cuts. Now it may not last as long but at 30" per cut I would risk a grand to save time and steps .

Exactly, $1000 to try it out....very worth it to me. People are making claims like - the wheels are plastic, the motor prob doesn't have a lined cylinder blah blah blah. Everything can be replaced, for cheap. Hell a motor is cheap. Wheels can be replaced with bearing wheels. Also, a homeowner will not even know it is not commercial.

If it will last 1 month...I will save a huge amount of money on labour. I have read nothing on any of these posts that detours me.

Again, I have 4 on order, I will let you know.

hi_speedreed
03-18-2012, 09:35 PM
I looked at one at Home Depot the other night. I didn't like the looks of it and I use homeowner push mowers exclusively. I need super light weight for the hills I mow. Tried the high end homeowner Honda out and it was way too heavy for my needs. I actually just picked up a Troybilt push (not self propelled)21 from Lowes. Its the 3 in 1 system with mulch, bag and side discharge capabilities. It was last years model. I looked close and this years model has a 140cc engine. Last years, the one I bought, has 190cc. It retails for $199, but I got them to give it to me for $80 (no typo yes $80 never used never had gas put in it) cause it was missing the gas cap and it was last years model. They didn't realize it was better than this years. With all that said, I don't like the thought of dropping a grand on this mower. If you're going to spend that much on a homeowner unit why not get the 33" wide area cub, troybilt, crapsman? They retail for $1199.

OakNut
03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
I looked at one at Home Depot the other night. I didn't like the looks of it and I use homeowner push mowers exclusively. I need super light weight for the hills I mow. Tried the high end homeowner Honda out and it was way too heavy for my needs. I actually just picked up a Troybilt push (not self propelled)21 from Lowes. Its the 3 in 1 system with mulch, bag and side discharge capabilities. It was last years model. I looked close and this years model has a 140cc engine. Last years, the one I bought, has 190cc. It retails for $199, but I got them to give it to me for $80 (no typo yes $80 never used never had gas put in it) cause it was missing the gas cap and it was last years model. They didn't realize it was better than this years. With all that said, I don't like the thought of dropping a grand on this mower. If you're going to spend that much on a homeowner unit why not get the 33" wide area cub, troybilt, crapsman? They retail for $1199.

I was looking into these for this season because I simply didn't have $1,500-$2,500 on hand for a used walk behind. If I had flat properties, I would have done it as a way of getting me through to next season, but they don't have independent steering and for that reason are lousy to use on hills.
Almost every lawn I cut has some form of hill, so I scrapped that idea.

I just picked up a new Ferris 36", so another mower isn't even an option at this point, but in a year or so, I may rethink getting one of these Toro 30" units - provided they don't turn out to be a nightmare. Maybe a commercial unit will be available by then, but it scares me to think about what it may cost if a homeowner mower is a grand.

Busybee Lawns
03-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Exactly, $1000 to try it out....very worth it to me. People are making claims like - the wheels are plastic, the motor prob doesn't have a lined cylinder blah blah blah. Everything can be replaced, for cheap. Hell a motor is cheap. Wheels can be replaced with bearing wheels. Also, a homeowner will not even know it is not commercial.

If it will last 1 month...I will save a huge amount of money on labour. I have read nothing on any of these posts that detours me.

Again, I have 4 on order, I will let you know.

****This time master has A Commercial engine This is a Vanguard!***
I seen this with my own eyes on @ the toro dealer online pdf of the engine
This has cast iron sleeve

MJB
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM

The Troybuilt , Cub an Crapsman all have cut quality issues, besides heavier and more difficult to use on some situations.. The Timemaster appears to have that covered.

organiclawncanada
03-24-2012, 05:59 PM
http://alpinelawn.com/toro-30-76-cm-timemaster-20200-lawnmower-toronto-ontario
Here is a video done by one of our dealers in the Toronto area.

TuffWork
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I've had one for two days. I like it so far. It's not great in the wet but it works. It cheats a little when bagging and mulches a little. Which helps alot when doing a big property. I did manage to break the air box on it somehow. I think it hit another mower on the trailer. It really is a good solution to all those people that refuse to let me ride their 7,000 sq ft corner lot.

petscanning
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I've had one for two days. I like it so far. It's not great in the wet but it works. It cheats a little when bagging and mulches a little. Which helps alot when doing a big property. I did manage to break the air box on it somehow. I think it hit another mower on the trailer. It really is a good solution to all those people that refuse to let me ride their 7,000 sq ft corner lot.
Your right it kinda cheats when bagging semi wet stuff. It sure has cut my time by a bunch and my helper loves it. I hope it lasts for a while.
One thing is on fescue looks like your dragging a sulky. Plus