PDA

View Full Version : Im working on my walker for the first time....

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, my gearbox was leaking oil so I had to figure out how to get it all. I learned that you dont undo the springs because they are a BI%CH if I could bold I would too, to get back on lol. And its also like digging in a bucket of grease lol, since everything is greased, its like working in a bucket of grease lol. Covered from elbows to hands. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do for the best mower on the market. I did luck out tho and my gear box isnt cracked just needs a new gasket. Gonna clean all the oil (well grease because the previous owner put grease instead of oil in em, and then clean em real good so I can make sure and check all the gears while its apart.

Five Points
03-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Do you mean the gear boxes on the deck??

ed2hess
03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Don't forget about those boxes are timed relative to one another. It really is a pain to have to put it back together twice. And when putting in the lower seal over the blades be sure to get that guard put on. And epoxy the darn thing in place so you won't get it knocked out.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Did you say best mower on the market?
Maybe best for extensive maintenance!
Posted via Mobile Device

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-09-2012, 09:47 PM
yea, i no they are timed, i have em marked right and left. yeah but they leave the nicest cut. and yes the gear boxes on the deck. yeah i have all the pieces. im putting it back together tomorrow. i got all the gear boxes cleaned and all the old oil cleaned out so imma put all new grease and then im thinking about changing the hydro oil when i pay all this stuff off and also its do for a grease job n an oil change

Fred B
03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
I hate to say it you did it the hard way. Fun eh??? Not. But it is a great learning experiance.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Did what the hard way. I have to clean then out because the idiot that owned it before me put grease into the gear boxes instead of gear oil. So while I was taking it apart I might as well check the gears and all while I had it apart so I don't think I did it the hard way.

Jimslawncareservice
03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
The exmark navigator takes less than minute to take off. Springs are easy as pie to go on and take off
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
The exmark navigator takes less than minute to take off. Springs are easy as pie to go on and take off
Posted via Mobile Device

Less than a minute to take what off?

The springs on my walker are fairly easy to hook and unhook.
The tension is adjustable, maybe the OP's are tightened up too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
03-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Take the deck off
Posted via Mobile Device

fixer67
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Springs hard toget off? I have had springs fall off. You went about it wrong I am thinking.

KS_Grasscutter
03-17-2012, 11:23 AM
On the springs, I assume you folded the body/seat area open? If so the springs should simply fall off.
Posted via Mobile Device

fixer67
03-17-2012, 02:38 PM
On the springs, I assume you folded the body/seat area open? If so the springs should simply fall off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, that is how it is done

Cleve
03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
I keep reading indications that you are going to put "grease" in the gearboxes. Maybe I missed something.
I have an older Walker (94 diesel) with a 42" deck that still runs and cuts as new. My gearboxes contain oil. I changed the oil in them years ago to synthetic. Never leaked or needed service.

fixer67
03-17-2012, 06:59 PM
I keep reading indications that you are going to put "grease" in the gearboxes. Maybe I missed something.
I have an older Walker (94 diesel) with a 42" deck that still runs and cuts as new. My gearboxes contain oil. I changed the oil in them years ago to synthetic. Never leaked or needed service.

90W gear oil is what goes in the boxes. You fill the boxes until the shaft is half covered. You need to take the four screws out to remove the top cover to check and fill. The pipe plug in the top cover is useless. Fill the two out side boxes and the center box will take care of its self. It will get filled thought the tube. When rebuilding a deck you can remove the pipe plug in the center box and put some in there to help shorten the fill time. DO NOT over fill the boxes. They are not vented and when they get hot they will build up pressure and leak if over filled.

Sharpcut 1
03-25-2012, 10:27 AM
All you do is flip the seat foward, springs will pull right off at top bracket where they come together