PDA

View Full Version : Apb calling all landscapers

Wright48
03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
So I have noticed over the years that any one with a mower calls themself a landscaper or a lawn proffesional!!!!!! WTF I went to school for it paid money, worked with experienced guys,got all my pesticide lic. ,went to trade schools for masonry to call my self a landscape design and constuction company. Then you see a guy with a rag tag trailer doing pavers or re-seeding a lawn and as your looking at it its being done wrong!!!!! I wish there was a apprenticeship for landscapers to get into there own bussiness just like plumbing and electrical work. It would level the playing field and get rid of these so called"landscapers" haha anyone else agree ???

Lugnut
03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I do agree that it would help in some aspects, although the question is how well would it be enforced? Will it help to limit the lowballers and level the playing field for the professionals, or would it just end up being one more license we have to pay for while those same guys keep on working and flying under the radar?

Sammy
03-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Just because people have every thing they should, you just can't fix stupid.

MOturkey
03-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Well, not everyone. Look at my business name. :)

Fred B
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
So I have noticed over the years that any one with a mower calls themself a landscaper or a lawn proffesional!!!!!! WTF I went to school for it paid money, worked with experienced guys,got all my pesticide lic. ,went to trade schools for masonry to call my self a landscape design and constuction company. Then you see a guy with a rag tag trailer doing pavers or re-seeding a lawn and as your looking at it its being done wrong!!!!! I wish there was a apprenticeship for landscapers to get into there own bussiness just like plumbing and electrical work. It would level the playing field and get rid of these so called"landscapers" haha anyone else agree ???

You are correct. There should be some sort standards. But who makes those standards? Right now being honest, Landscapers are a dime a dozen. You don't like the first one go down the line. If you have a truck and a mower you must be a landscape proffesional.

You even see it here on this website all the time. You can tell by the questions. Do I need sinage on my truck? Do I need commercial insurance?....

I don't want to bash people for having ambition because that is not right, But please if you are going to start up a bussiness do some local research on laws that would pertain to where you plan on operating have effect. Same thing for the education or experiance in your area. To many people have mowed their own residence as a kid and have done it during their teens, and when they can afford a truck they are now Landscape proffesionals.

fireman gus
03-09-2012, 05:50 PM
What standards do you want to see. MORE government involvement? I think there is enough of that. If a parson wants to hire a person to do substandard work then so be it. I will just wait for them to call me to correct the situation. If you do good work the word will get out about it and the work will come to you.

sealcutter
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Or you could do what I did in February, I hired someone who knows more about landscaping than I do. He was getting laid off by my friends LSO, due to a light winter and not landing all the contracts from the previous year. He went to the tech. school for hort. and has been with Buddy's co. for 10 years. This might be one of the best business moves I ever made, we will see in 6 months. I can concentrate on growing the other side of my business and sleep at night.:laugh:

Richard Martin
03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Fat chance of that happening in North Carolina anytime soon. It is legal for any company to do up to $25,000 worth of home improvements without a contractors license. And you guy would propose that they require a test and license to cut grass?

White Gardens
03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
When the so called "landscapers" can't or won't do a job, then I get called. Then I take the rest of the business away from them.

Eventually it works in our favor regardless.

One company I know of has "out-door" services written all over their signage. Funny how they only do a handful of outdoor services and that's it.

Fred B
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
What standards do you want to see. MORE government involvement? I think there is enough of that. If a parson wants to hire a person to do substandard work then so be it. I will just wait for them to call me to correct the situation. If you do good work the word will get out about it and the work will come to you.

Definitely not more government, there is way to much of that already. But if you want to be called a tradesmen or a proffesional in the landscaping field, Some sort of apprenticeship program would be nice. Up here there is a orginization called LANTA.

What I would like to see is more enforcement. EG. Commercial insurance, Truck trailer inspections, DOT signage, equal health and safety. If I follow the law and an other company dosn't thay can put in a lower bid. With no enforcement our laws mean squat.

fireman gus
03-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I, too, agree that there should be more enforcement but if your state is suffering from shrinking budgets as we are in Oklahoma you will find there is more and more shortage of money to hire people to enforce the rules. I also agree that a LCO should have all the licenses that are required, follow the rules, have commercial insurance, etc. I also think we have to present ourselves in a "professional" manner (uniforms, signage, etc).

And without beiing too much of an a$$hole a person should learn how to use proper grammer and spelling in their paperwork and THREADS!

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Or you could do what I did in February, I hired someone who knows more about landscaping than I do. He was getting laid off by my friends LSO, due to a light winter and not landing all the contracts from the previous year. He went to the tech. school for hort. and has been with Buddy's co. for 10 years. This might be one of the best business moves I ever made, we will see in 6 months. I can concentrate on growing the other side of my business and sleep at night.:laugh:

Sealcutter, that's exactly what I just did this week as well!! He has 12 yrs experience and just got his CDL - way over qualified for the job but the other lco had to let him go. Hope to have fewer headaches and set him loose to kick some butt. May be a little tough for the other guys to have a "new guy" in charge but I think they'll understand.

TruSomethingOrOther
03-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I, too, agree that there should be more enforcement but if your state is suffering from shrinking budgets as we are in Oklahoma you will find there is more and more shortage of money to hire people to enforce the rules. I also agree that a LCO should have all the licenses that are required, follow the rules, have commercial insurance, etc. I also think we have to present ourselves in a "professional" manner (uniforms, signage, etc).

And without beiing too much of an a$$hole a person should learn how to use proper grammer and spelling in their paperwork and THREADS!

Touche. I wasn't gonna be the one that opened that can of worms....even though typing these topics / reply's, spell check is immediately letting us know the word is misspelled. Juuuust saying. :hammerhead:

Richard Martin
03-10-2012, 08:49 AM
even though typing these topics / reply's, spell check is immediately letting us know the word is misspelled. Juuuust saying. :hammerhead:

Win 8 has it built right in. If you type and make a mistake Win 8 automatically checks and underlines in red any mistakes it thinks were made.

I'm using the Beta version of it now.

Smallaxe
03-10-2012, 10:04 AM
A "healthcare professional", doesn't care for your health... they treat the symptoms with drugs...
Lawncare professionals don't grow grass, they treat symptoms with a one size fits all 'application'...

Because both of these examples imagine that they know something, there is no discussion about any of it... lots of the apprenticeships do happen as they might come from TGCL and their 7 step program and that is certainly not professional lawncare... :)

Smallaxe
03-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Win 8 has it built right in. If you type and make a mistake Win 8 automatically checks and underlines in red any mistakes it thinks were made.

"Their over they're, next too there truck"...

spell check didn't have a problem , so the statement must be correct!!! :)

THEGOLDPRO
03-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I dont worry about what other companys are doing, I only worry about myself.

TruSomethingOrOther
03-13-2012, 04:35 AM

Yea I'ma getin reddy ta ley mah filthay pauws onna coppi uf Win8 mahselv.

Wonder how Win8 Ultimate is gonna be. Not sure which flavor I'm gonna get yet. (I love having family that are bigger computer geeks than I am!)

Richard Martin
03-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Wonder how Win8 Ultimate is gonna be. Not sure which flavor I'm gonna get yet. (I love having family that are bigger computer geeks than I am!)

This version is especially sensitive to optional preinstalled software like Quicken, Firefox, Calender Creator or whatever. I couldn't get the Start Menu apps to work until I let Windows "freshen" my computer. It went in and removed all references to any software that is not Microsoft from all of the critical system files like start.bat, the registry etc. The software and all files are still on the hardrive. It just needs to be reinstalled.

Figuring out how to shut the computer off was interesting too. I could have just pushed the power switch but you don't get a proper shutdown like that.

Agape
03-13-2012, 11:13 AM
I learn as I go, no school, getting my CCB# soon, gonna do hardscapes and will have to learn that as I go too. an apprenticeship would be nice, let me know if you find one in Oregon that I can attend while working overtime as a lawn care professional:waving: