PDA

View Full Version : Best backpack blower?

AmazingLawns
03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Title says it all. Need to buy one before the 13th. Any suggestions?

Ridin' Green
03-09-2012, 12:28 AM
More info would be helpful. Are you commercial, homeowner? What is your main use for one?

There are a ton of good blowers on the market. I'm not brand loyal, so I won't pump one over another. I run both a Stihl BR600M and a Husky 570 BTS. Both are great blowers and close in performance, with a slight edge going to the Husky 570 (which is the same blower as the RedMax 7500).
I've run the Echo 770, and Red Max 8500. They are all close in performance in the real world. The 8500/Husky 580 have the edge in CFM's, but some of the others have higher MPH which kind of offsets the CFM advantage of those two to some degree.

Having a good dealer who you can trust if you need service is about as important as which blower you buy.

Alan0354
03-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Also the Maruyama BL8100 which is the same as Kawasaki KRB750. I was told the power is very close to the Stihl BR600, not as strong as the super big one. It is a little lighter than Stihl BR600, only about $420 or so. It is the quietest big blower bar none. It is easy to start, not much warmup needed.

You need supper power, look at Shindaiwa EB802 or Redmax etc. But you want a good blower that gets the job done, this is a good one.

AmazingLawns
03-09-2012, 01:18 AM
More info would be helpful. Are you commercial, homeowner? What is your main use for one?

There are a ton of good blowers on the market. I'm not brand loyal, so I won't pump one over another. I run both a Stihl BR600M and a Husky 570 BTS. Both are great blowers and close in performance, with a slight edge going to the Husky 570 (which is the same blower as the RedMax 7500).
I've run the Echo 770, and Red Max 8500. They are all close in performance in the real world. The 8500/Husky 580 have the edge in CFM's, but some of the others have higher MPH which kind of offsets the CFM advantage of those two to some degree.

Having a good dealer who you can trust if you need service is about as important as which blower you buy.

Thanks! What I have close to me is a Scag dealer, Exmark, and Home Depot and Lowes. I have 17 regular customers so far for regular lawn maintenance which consists of mowing, weed-eating, edging, and blowing grass clippings except for a couple that are paying extra for bagging. All are residential and smaller lawns. Still have some marketing to do, so hoping for to have a lot more in the coming weeks, but no way to predict what I'll end up with. This is my first year and just starting up. Is a backpack blower something that is OK to be bought used or something that needs to be bought new? How long can I expect one to last and what price range can I expect to pay for a professional one either used or new?

AmazingLawns
03-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Also the Maruyama BL8100 which is the same as Kawasaki KRB750. I was told the power is very close to the Stihl BR600, not as strong as the super big one. It is a little lighter than Stihl BR600, only about $420 or so. It is the quietest big blower bar none. It is easy to start, not much warmup needed.

You need supper power, look at Shindaiwa EB802 or Redmax etc. But you want a good blower that gets the job done, this is a good one.

Ouch, that's pricey. I don't think I need super power. Just starting up, so don't have to have the very best, but do want something that will last me a while. How much does the Stihl run? Thanks for the info.

headz77
03-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Sounds like a decent handheld would be fine for now. I bought a reconditioned Echo at Home Depot for $150. It's just a backup for us and it works just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
03-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Ouch, that's pricey. I don't think I need super power. Just starting up, so don't have to have the very best, but do want something that will last me a while. How much does the Stihl run? Thanks for the info.

I think it's going to be like a $100 more. That's what I like about Maruyama or Kawasaki. They are like a good $100 less and they belong to the big blower category.

Remember, this is a true 2 cycle, nothing complicated. In this case, less is more.

From what I read so far, all the super blowers have their own little problems. If you want the baddest, get the Shindaiwa EB802, this is the only.....I repeat......the only one that has perfect record in the last 4 years. Don't get suck into the power war where you look for the last little bit. Reliability is the most important.

PLS-Tx
03-09-2012, 02:33 AM
BR600!! You mean there are others to consider. :confused:

Ridin' Green
03-09-2012, 02:42 AM
The 802 is a great blower, but it is just as pricey as any other top blower.

For your needs, the Husky 350 sold at Lowe's wuld be awfully hard to beat. Plenty of power, and reliable. They run about $299 IIRC.

You can keep your eye on CL too. I have two Stihl BP's that I bpught used off CL. My Stihl BR320 ws 16 years old when I bought it, and it still runs like a top. It still looks good too. I bought my BR600M from an LCO who was getting out of the business. It was only about 4 months old when I bought it. I saw his receipt, and I happened to know the salesman where he bought it, and I checked the guy's story with him. It cost me $225. There are deals are out there. I have seen several Stihl BR550's since then for about the exact same price, and in as good a condition as my 600, which looked like brand new, and still does. I take extremely good care of my stuff.:)

Ridin' Green
03-09-2012, 02:45 AM
BR600!! You mean there are others to consider. :confused:

Yes, there are others. LOL

Like I said, I like my Husky 570 better than my 600, and it has more cohones to boot.

scotts lawn care
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I have used j.d. backpack blowers and the stihl br600 magnum. John Deere no longer makes small equipment anyway, which is fine because they didnt last too long. The stihl br600 is lightweight and has lots of power.

Ijustwantausername
03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks! What I have close to me is a Scag dealer, Exmark, and Home Depot and Lowes. I have 17 regular customers so far for regular lawn maintenance which consists of mowing, weed-eating, edging, and blowing grass clippings except for a couple that are paying extra for bagging. All are residential and smaller lawns. Still have some marketing to do, so hoping for to have a lot more in the coming weeks, but no way to predict what I'll end up with. This is my first year and just starting up. Is a backpack blower something that is OK to be bought used or something that needs to be bought new? How long can I expect one to last and what price range can I expect to pay for a professional one either used or new?

Amazing, I was in your shoes a few years ago. I ended up using a handheld for about 2 years. I then spent $500 on a big Husqvarna backpack. Aside from my zero turn, it was the best investment I had made. Last fall I had a ton of leaf jobs and the Husky got too heavy so I sold it and bought a Shindaiwa EB 802 for the same price -500. It is a lot of money up front, but if you are planning on expanding like you talk, you need to go ahead and spend the money and get a good one that will last.

Yes the BR600 Mag wins the prize for the lightest one, but for a few more pounds you can get a noticeable difference in power with the EB802. Just search on here and find threads where people have used both and make your own decision, its what I did.

AmazingLawns
03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
The 802 is a great blower, but it is just as pricey as any other top blower.

For your needs, the Husky 350 sold at Lowe's wuld be awfully hard to beat. Plenty of power, and reliable. They run about $299 IIRC.

You can keep your eye on CL too. I have two Stihl BP's that I bpught used off CL. My Stihl BR320 ws 16 years old when I bought it, and it still runs like a top. It still looks good too. I bought my BR600M from an LCO who was getting out of the business. It was only about 4 months old when I bought it. I saw his receipt, and I happened to know the salesman where he bought it, and I checked the guy's story with him. It cost me $225. There are deals are out there. I have seen several Stihl BR550's since then for about the exact same price, and in as good a condition as my 600, which looked like brand new, and still does. I take extremely good care of my stuff.:)

I just checked on craigslist- saw a Husqvarna backpack model I am going to call on, but it didn't have the model or any other info- I'm going to call on it just in case. It was listed for $200, though. Is that high for used if it's a 150 or 350? I didn't see anything else on CL. I checked on the Husqvarna 350 at Lowes. What is the difference between the 350BT and the 350BF?

Set Apart Lawn Care
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Amazing Lawns,
We are in the same area, in fact I think I've seen your flyers on vacant houses in the same neighborhoods where I was passing out flyers. Right off Houston levee and Macon, I'm assuming thats you.

A couple thoughts, if you are planning to do leaves at all, get the strongest blower you can buy if it makes sense for you financially right now. If not, a handheld works fine. We have two RedMax 8500 and a stihl handheld, more often than not we grab the handheld for Cordova yards in grass season because it's lighter and less of an ordeal to get on and off the rack and start. Helps us save our energy!

Our first blower was also a reconditioned handheld from Home Depot, worked awesome until it was stolen, under $150. Also bought our first weedeater from HomeDepot reconditioned as well, both worked well for the first couple years.

One thing that I will tell you, stihl is a great brand, but all the 2 stihl dealers in our area take FOREVER to fix things, I'm talking 4-6 weeks in season. I have used every dealer in Memphis to see how long they take and how I am treated. Kalb and Gambrell have been the best, the most knowledgable mechanics and quickest repairs. Personally now I only by from Gambrell, the reason being they knew me by name when only had 25 yards and know all all my equipment. It is worth every penny extra you spend to buy new from a place like that, that will get you up and running quickly when your stuff breaks down. Lowes, Home Depot, and Craigslist will not have your back in July when your busy and your stuff breaks!

yardguy28
03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I've used the stihl br400 all 6 years I've been in business. starts up on the first pull.

mostly use it for sidewalk and driveways but in the fall I clean out mulch beds.

AmazingLawns
03-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Amazing Lawns,
We are in the same area, in fact I think I've seen your flyers on vacant houses in the same neighborhoods where I was passing out flyers. Right off Houston levee and Macon, I'm assuming thats you.

A couple thoughts, if you are planning to do leaves at all, get the strongest blower you can buy if it makes sense for you financially right now. If not, a handheld works fine. We have two RedMax 8500 and a stihl handheld, more often than not we grab the handheld for Cordova yards in grass season because it's lighter and less of an ordeal to get on and off the rack and start. Helps us save our energy!

Our first blower was also a reconditioned handheld from Home Depot, worked awesome until it was stolen, under $150. Also bought our first weedeater from HomeDepot reconditioned as well, both worked well for the first couple years.

One thing that I will tell you, stihl is a great brand, but all the 2 stihl dealers in our area take FOREVER to fix things, I'm talking 4-6 weeks in season. I have used every dealer in Memphis to see how long they take and how I am treated. Kalb and Gambrell have been the best, the most knowledgable mechanics and quickest repairs. Personally now I only by from Gambrell, the reason being they knew me by name when only had 25 yards and know all all my equipment. It is worth every penny extra you spend to buy new from a place like that, that will get you up and running quickly when your stuff breaks down. Lowes, Home Depot, and Craigslist will not have your back in July when your busy and your stuff breaks!

I don't think I have checked Gambrell out yet. I went with scag for my v-ride (Mid-South Small Engines), but am back and forth on the blower. I decided to go new with the blower to be on the safe side, so I'll definitely check Gambrell out. Thanks for the info!

Ridin' Green
03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
I just checked on craigslist- saw a Husqvarna backpack model I am going to call on, but it didn't have the model or any other info- I'm going to call on it just in case. It was listed for $200, though. Is that high for used if it's a 150 or 350? I didn't see anything else on CL. I checked on the Husqvarna 350 at Lowes. What is the difference between the 350BT and the 350BF?

The difference is in the location of the throttle. T= tube mounted throttle (which I prefer by a wide margin), and F = frame mounted throttle, which is the same thing as hip mounted.

Buying new is always best IMO, but don't let anyone scare you out of buying of CL. I have had excellent luck doing just that. Like I said, I saved about 60% off the price of a new BR600, and the one I bought was only 4 months old. No dealer that I deal with would put me at the back of the line just because I didn't buy it from them. I have bought enough equipment at several different places now, to get fair treatment wherever I go.

Federal Lawn Company
03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I love my Shindaiwa EB 802...I'm sure there are others that compare to it (not many, though), I personally don't want ANYTHING Stihl...ever. If that 802 can't handle it, you know it time to get either: 1-a Little Wonder 13HP Wheel Blower (love that too!), or 2-a rake (you won't EVER see me raking...if I had to rake, I won't take the job, period. My time and energy is worth WAY MORE than I'd be able to get paid). Just like my opinion on that Husq PZ-6034, there is no substitute for displacement. If that 802 doesn't move it, it's some thick, heavy, wet stuff. Like I said....don't get caught "wishin'. You get what you pay for, and spending a little more to get the proper equipment to EFFICIENTLY do the job will pay for itself in the end. Just my opinion. Good luck.... (did I say I HATE rakes *smile*)
--David Innis

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
keep in mind this thread is filled with opinions and a few appear to be trying to pass those opinions on as facts.

sorry had to point that out. it's a pet peeve of mine.

best anything is always a matter of opinion......

Lafman
03-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I started with a handheld and had no problem using it for residential property. But time is money in this business for the most part. I invested in the Shindy 802 and am glad i did. Yes its pricey, but as said, you get what you pay for. Instead of spending 20 minutes per yard to blow, with a more powerful unit, you can cut that in half. That 10 minutes per yard, times 7 yards is 70 minutes, which might give you time to take on another yard during the day.

just my thoughts.

biodale
03-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I am Stihl for everything but bp blower. I bought echo PT 770. Yes it is expensive. I was using handhelds blowers before. The 770 is the best investment you can make. It makes cleaning out flower beds easy as pie. Has more than paid for itself on an almost daily basis. I think the Stihl Br600 is good, but it seemed to hesitate on acceleration.

MOW ED
03-12-2012, 10:43 AM
OK you said the BEST backpack blower. What you mean by best is what is up for debate. Best what? Best weight, best price, best warranty, best frame, best power? There are many backpacks as well as smaller handhelds that will blow grass.
I would say to not make price your deciding factor. You are in business and if you buy a quality machine that meets to exceeds your requirement then you are spending money correctly. I dont know if you do spring cleans or fall leaves but I will guarantee that if you don't have the CFM you need at the end of that tube, you will be working harder and longer. The blower is a money making piece of equipment.
If you are just blowing off your customers driveway and sidewalk and you don't need big cfm then a handheld or a homeowner backpack will do. You may want to be careful with used stuff. Just my opinion but sometimes used stuff is just that, used. It stinks to pay and then have to buy it again because it breaks. If you know the source and trust them, its a different story but I would shy away from CL with these things. Good Luck in your choice.

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I think best is ALWAYS a matter of opinion with any piece of equipment.

what I think is best isn't necessarily what joe thinks is best.

my vote is stihl for all hand helds. I don't really think there is a brand that is superior. they all have there strong points and they all have there weak points.

joed
03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I have the Echo PB770, the Stihl BR600, and the Redmax 8500. They each have their strengths and weaknesses but I'd say, based on my experience, that the Echo PB770 is the best out of the three. The Redmax has a bit more power but not significantly higher than the Echo. The Stihl is the lightest and best on fuel. It's great for everyday stuff but a tad weak for leaves/cleanups etc. The Echo seems the best compromise between the 3. Good power, fits great, not too heavy, and decent on fuel.

yardguy28
03-15-2012, 01:15 AM
sorry gotta laugh when someone tries to say the stihl br600 is a little weak for leaves. that's a first for me. I can't think of a single LCO around here except me who doesn't own and use the stihl br600 blower. I own the br400.

we have plenty of access to redmax and echo as well.

all you see on most LCO rigs are br600 blowers. especially during the fall for leaves.

lawn care St. Cloud, MN
03-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I would recommend the TANAKA 7800 blower. It has a very light weight to it and blows with the same high volume as the other top of the line blowers.

If you are looking for a blower that won't hurt your back go and BUY TANAKA.

http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com

Alan0354
03-15-2012, 01:55 AM
There power are close, my strong advice is get one that has been around and proven. Don't get the latest and greatest. New model always have problems, There are complains on Echo 770 and RM 8500 lately, get one that has been out for two to three years and bugs got ringed out. That little bit of extra power is lost if you have to go to the shop instead of working. Of all the super blowers, Shindaiwa EB802 is the only one that has NO complain in the last 3 years in the market, they seems to get this blower correct right from the beginning. Remember this don't translate to EB8250 or the newer C4 bp. Shindaiwa seems to go down hill in the last few years, EB802 is about the only bright spot from all the comments here.

Do a search here, there are plenty of posts on these few models and you can spend a day reading those, then make up your mind. Don't concentrate on the raving reviews, concentrate on the ones that complains, if you don't see any complain on a particular blower, that's the best review in my book.

yardguy28
03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
my overall advice would be get the brand YOU know and trust. ignore what others are saying if you personally know a certain brand to be proven and true.

if I listened to every tom, dick and harry on here I'd not be running stihl at all. there are a lot of complaints about them.

but I've never had problems with them and they've proven to be good. so I'm sticking with them.

Alan0354
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
As I said, I would ignore all the praises, their blower got to be the best blower. Praises don't mean much. It's people's complains that means a lot. This is a professional equipment, reliability is the most important thing. I don't believe people come here to complain for the fun of it. There are models that has no complain and that speak louder than anything else.

It's ok to buy Mercedes for the status even it is not reliable, but buying a Mercedes for a transportation that you job and income are depending on it is not the wisest thing to do. Reliability change with time, people remember the good old days where Shindaiwa made the legendary T270, T260, T230, EB630 and buy the newer equipments might be in for a big unpleasant surprise. Things change as management change, outsourcing.

yardguy28
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
As I said, I would ignore all the praises, their blower got to be the best blower. Praises don't mean much. It's people's complains that means a lot. This is a professional equipment, reliability is the most important thing. I don't believe people come here to complain for the fun of it. There are models that has no complain and that speak louder than anything else.

It's ok to buy Mercedes for the status even it is not reliable, but buying a Mercedes for a transportation that you job and income are depending on it is not the wisest thing to do. Reliability change with time, people remember the good old days where Shindaiwa made the legendary T270, T260, T230, EB630 and buy the newer equipments might be in for a big unpleasant surprise. Things change as management change, outsourcing.

my advice goes beyond not listening to people's praise over a piece of equipment. it goes as far as ignoring those that complain about a piece of equipment as well.

tons of people complain about stihl equipment on this site. I don't pay a bit of attention. why? because that's not been my experience. just because some find fault and problems in a certain brand doesn't mean others will.

Alan0354
03-15-2012, 11:06 PM
You might be fine with it, but other people should know. You cannot just close your eyes just go for it. As I said, people don't come here to trash a brand just for the fun of it.

I am a strong Maruyama fan but all I posted is only my experience with my stuff, I won't be telling other that they are the best in the world. Let others do the complain to show how good each one really is.

BTW, the old Stihl BR600 had it's share of problems, but the new Magnum might have solved all of it, I just don't know, it's too new yet, but it's been a year or more and so far so good. I am not trying to knock anything, just the data.

joed
03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
For the original poster, here are some videos I did on the Stihl BR600, Echo PB770, and Redmax 8500. I hope these help with your decision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNi0dD2X98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkgjnt0C2is&feature=related

hurrikanelandscaping
03-15-2012, 11:57 PM
The Redmax's in my opinion are the top of the line when it comes to commercial blowers, but they are kind of pricey. the ebz7500 is better for spring cleanups and regular blowing as it has higher mph, is cheaper, and is lighter but the ebz8500 has way more cfm's which is all that is important for blowing huge amounts of leaves and debris. the 7500 is like $450 and the 8500 is like $600 at my dealer. they are expensive but they pay for themselves as they are great machines.

hurrikanelandscaping
03-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I am Stihl for everything but bp blower. I bought echo PT 770. Yes it is expensive. I was using handhelds blowers before. The 770 is the best investment you can make. It makes cleaning out flower beds easy as pie. Has more than paid for itself on an almost daily basis. I think the Stihl Br600 is good, but it seemed to hesitate on acceleration.

I totally agree about the stihl br600, when you squeeze the throttle it floods so there is a hesitation, nothing that significant but it gets on my nerves.

Mowerboy04
03-16-2012, 12:31 AM
defiantly the redmax, i have a redmax 7000 that is a 2002 of 2003??? anyway never had any problems still running strong has to have at least a few thousand hours on it. I just picked up the new redmax 7050 i belive it is..... Its lighter then my 7000 and has amazing power defiantly consider redmax

Ridin' Green
03-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I totally agree about the stihl br600, when you squeeze the throttle it floods so there is a hesitation, nothing that significant but it gets on my nerves.

My BR600 doesn't hesitate in the slightest. In fact, it accelerates faster than all of my 2 strokes. Mine is 2 years old, and has never had any service needed or done.

I also disagree about the RM 7500/8500 too. I have ran both, and I own the Husky version of the 7500 (BTS 570). I could have bought any blower I wanted, but I picked the 570 because of the higher MPH for cleaning up spring and fall debris that is stuck down, and the CFM's of the 7500 are actually pretty darn close to the 8500 in real world side by side testing on the same stuff (regardless of the spec sheets on or in the websites/brochures of which Red Max has several misprints at the moment), that it was an easy decision to buy the 7500. Plus, the 7500 weighs a few LBS less than the 8500. Around here, the 7500 is $499, and the 8500 is $549 all day long.

I don't knock anyone for their choice though. It's a free world (at least for the time being), so buy whatever makes you happy. Like I said above in my earlier post, I am not brand loyal, and won't pump one over another for no good reason. If there's a problem with one, I will tell that too, and I have in several of my BP blower reviews. I just report it as I have experienced it.

Ridin' Green
03-16-2012, 01:11 AM
defiantly the redmax, i have a redmax 7000 that is a 2002 of 2003??? anyway never had any problems still running strong has to have at least a few thousand hours on it. I just picked up the new redmax 7050 i belive it is..... Its lighter then my 7000 and has amazing power defiantly consider redmax

They have a 7150, and the newest one is the 7500.:)

OakNut
03-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Last season was my first full season on my own, so maybe I'm not "qualified" to give my input, but I think you need to know WHY you need the equipment you are buying. Are you looking at backpacks because "all the big guys have them", or because you actually NEED one?

I started with a handheld. I use it to blow clippings off walks/drives - that's it. It works perfectly fine for that purpose. For blowing large volumes of leaves - not so much. By fall, I had made enough money to pick up a new backpack which IS needed to do leaf cleanups. If I had bought a backpack first, I would have regretted it every time I had to lug that big, clunky beast out just to blow some grass off a sidewalk. Now if you have a lot of blowing, or need to disperse clumped grass, get what you need to do that, but I find that a backpack is complete overkill for MY daily routine.

I picked up the Echo PB-770T They normally sell for around $500 - my dealer sold it to me for $435...

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Blowers/DSCI0084.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Blowers/DSCI0082.jpg

My first handheld was a Stihl BG-55 - Not commercial grade, but the dealer says they are popular with the lawn crews. Quite powerful for such a lightweight unit and only $150.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Blowers/IMAG2282.jpg

I had some issues with it not wanting to start easily. Ultimately, I think I either had a lemon, or it needed adjusted more, but I swapped it for an Echo PB-251 (They run a few dollars more than the Stihl I mentioned above)

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/Blowers/IMAG2312.jpg

I liked the Stihl better for its compact size/light weigh/high power, but I've been very happy with the Echo overall. It does what I need it to do - start and blow grass clippings - and occasionally dig into flowerbeds where the backpack is a tight fit.

Find a dealer that can service you and buy from said dealer. Ultimately, there are several very good brands to choose from - support your dealer and he will support you.

redmax fan
03-16-2012, 03:22 AM
dont have time to reaD entire thread but a few points :

- dont waste a cent on a hand held , even if you get out of business a backpack shall last you for decades of home use .
the extra power of a backie shall save MEGA time and make for better jobs . and cleaning place up with powerful backie is a HUGE difference on jobs

- i LOVE redmax backies , weve ran em over 15 years A.N.D. T.H.E.Y. K.I.C.K. A.S.S. , the redmax 7000 series is one of the perfect peice of power equipment ive ever ran in my life , rugged / dependable / powerful . but dont like the new 80oo ones with too big of tube and stupid pistol grip handles , they dont even have more power than the 7000 to me anyway

- though i guess youve said something about price limit so redmax may be out . though ide look on craigslist incase a homeowners selling one , look in the rich areas where somebody with big coin bought one for big yard and its not beat

- ive also a husquavarna with a kawasaki motor i bought for home use because got on a great sale at sears several years ago and its a very good unit , very smooth / reliable engine . ide check sears around you for sales , lowes carries them too in case better price

- ive never ran them but have seen alot of guys says echo makes a good engine , so i wouldnt be afraid to consider buying an echo from homedepot

- but in closing all i can say is ive ran over 5 redmax 7001 backies since the 90s , and me and my partner both couldnt rate any other peice of equipment any higher . THEY KICK ASS

Federal Lawn Company
03-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, I use my Shin 802 a LOT, and also my smaller Husq 145BT, but a small handheld is SO handy for a lot of stuff...especially small apartment patios that are jam packed with people's junk. It's hard to get in the corners with a big box on your back, and anything above idle just blows crap up in your face, but a handheld is nice for getting under junk and lightly blowing it out without sending it all up to the ceiling and then down on your head and in your face. I have a Husq handheld and use it quite a bit for small quick jobs as well. Easy to grab and run. Bigger isn't ALWAYS better....the right tool for the job is. You wouldn't use a 3-foot pipe wrench on a 3/8-inch bolt.....just sayin'. Just my opinion, of course.

Regards,

David Innis

NwHoustonLawnCare
04-13-2012, 05:16 PM
echo 450 hands down!

Alan0354
04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
hand held and bp serve totally different purpose. For area like in Bay Area that people has small lawn, you do a lot of houses but small job for only for each, it is so handy to use a hand held. By the time you put the bp on your back, you could have finish blowing with the hand held. I have both and I found use for both.

Valk
04-14-2012, 12:33 AM
My 3 HH blowers (Echo, RedMax & Maruyama) stay in the garage while I'm at work. My RedMax HBZ8001 is the bomb. I've said it before...and I'll say it again. This machine pays for itself 2x/year in time saved over a HH blower. What's your saved time worth to you all?

Federal Lawn Company
04-14-2012, 07:44 AM
hand held and bp serve totally different purpose. For area like in Bay Area that people has small lawn, you do a lot of houses but small job for only for each, it is so handy to use a hand held. By the time you put the bp on your back, you could have finish blowing with the hand held. I have both and I found use for both.

^^Like he said.