PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with people?

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I am just venting here so don't mind me!

I went today to submit a bid to the county for mowing a few properties and 3 cemeteries. While I was there I asked to see the amount that was charged last year. I was told that the people who did it last year (I don't know who they are) charged $40 for about a 4 acre cemetery, $40 for about a 5 acre cemetery and $100 for about a 10 acre cemetery. How am I supposed to compete with that?

I thought my bid was low enough and I was really planning on getting the job and purchased additional insurance for it. What is wrong with people? There is no way they are making money mowing at that price.

knox gsl
03-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Did they follow through the whole season at that price or not show up after the first month?
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Did they follow through the whole season at that price or not show up after the first month?
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. They prolly never showed up after the first cut. That's the reason its going back out to bid.
Posted via Mobile Device

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have clarified better. Those prices were what was charged last summer. I am not sure if they mowed it the whole season or not, but I do know that someone has been doing it because it is mowed up nice right now. I bid on it to mow this coming season, but I don't stand a chance against people like that.

weaver
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM

I went today to submit a bid to the county for mowing a few properties and 3 cemeteries. While I was there I asked to see the amount that was charged last year. I was told that the people who did it last year (I don't know who they are) charged $40 for about a 4 acre cemetery, $40 for about a 5 acre cemetery and $100 for about a 10 acre cemetery. How am I supposed to compete with that?

I thought my bid was low enough and I was really planning on getting the job and purchased additional insurance for it. What is wrong with people? There is no way they are making money mowing at that price.

I'm confused, are you saying they mowed it for $40 an acre or $40 for 4 acres?

mikeypizano
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Maybe they were people from church and charged just enough to cover the cost.

I MOW ALONE
03-09-2012, 01:35 PM

key words here are you were TOLD did you actually see invoice? they can and will tell you anything they want.

Richard Martin
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
key words here are you were TOLD did you actually see invoice? they can and will tell you anything they want.

Everybody lies.

scotts lawn care
03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Thing is that company is maybe out of business charging those low prices. Just bid what you need, if you get it great!

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
weaver122876 - They mow it for $40 for 4 acres (so basically $10 per acre)

mikeypizano - I didn't consider that possibility and that is quite possible.

I MOW ALONE, Richard Martin - Good point. I did not actually see the invoice but I was there when they pulled the invoice. I guess that doesn't mean they still didn't lie.

scotts lawn care
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
10$ per acre!!??? Thats just stupid pricing.

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-09-2012, 02:44 PM
10$ per acre!!??? Thats just stupid pricing.

Thats what I said! It would be impossible to make any profit at that price regardless of what your input costs were.

weaver
03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey don't hold me to it.. I think i read somewhere on here you can Google public records of stuff like that and se what it was actually mowed for since it is a county or gov. job...

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey don't hold me to it.. I think i read somewhere on here you can Google public records of stuff like that and se what it was actually mowed for since it is a county or gov. job...

I will check in to that. Hopefully you are right.

blmc5150
03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
That's how gov't/city/township bids go. At least around here anyway, they usually just go with the low guy who never follows spec. But at least they saved us taxpayers money.........where is it?????

Fred B
03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Someone is feeding you a bunch of BS No one can make any money for mowing somthing for $10 an acre per time. expecialy a cemetery.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Im thinking that lady thought your question was a little out of line so she gave you a similar answer.

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Im thinking that lady thought your question was a little out of line so she gave you a similar answer.

She did look at me a little funny when I asked her... Asking her that may have been a little out of line but I did give her my bid before I asked.

agent walker
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
that is ridiculous! they were paying for the privilege of mowing and trimming all those gravestones! glad they like it better then i do

blake101
03-10-2012, 08:38 AM

You need to look at this as a money making opportunity, you said it was mowed up nice. So it sounds like they do a fairly good job. What you need to do is find out who they are and sub some of your work out to them. If they are willing to work that cheep, they both of you can make a little money.