PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-Gear vs Separate Pumps and Wheel Motors

GMLC
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I have one dealer telling me to stick with the separate pumps and wheel motors(which is what I have always had) and another dealer saying hydro-gear is now the way to go. To me is seems the hydro-gear units are used to cut back on cost and not better. But I have never used one.

What do you guys think? Anyone here have a lot of hours on a zero turn rider with a hydro-gear unit?

mowerbrad
03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
My old bob-cat had the seperate pumps and wheel motors and my current Deere has the integrated units. I do like the fact that I don't have to worry about leaks at hose fittings, which I did have on my bob-cat a time or two. I also find that the integrated units I have on my Deere feel stronger and like they have more torque when compared to my old bob-cat. But that could just be a difference between one mower that was a 2005 and another mower that is a 2010.

I would have no problem going with either type of hydraulic system.

GMLC
03-09-2012, 03:01 PM
My old bob-cat had the seperate pumps and wheel motors and my current Deere has the integrated units. I do like the fact that I don't have to worry about leaks at hose fittings, which I did have on my bob-cat a time or two. I also find that the integrated units I have on my Deere feel stronger and like they have more torque when compared to my old bob-cat. But that could just be a difference between one mower that was a 2005 and another mower that is a 2010.

I would have no problem going with either type of hydraulic system.

Thanks for the reply. It seems more and more companies are going to the hydro-gear units. Is the 3400 ok or should I only be looking at machines with the 5400?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. It seems more and more companies are going to the hydro-gear units. Is the 3400 ok or should I only be looking at machines with the 5400?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that would depend largely on what machine you use, and what the weight of it is, the wheel/tire size combo, and the size of the deck which will all require more power, the larger you go in size. For example- a 26 HP with 22"-24" rear wheels, and a 54" or smaller deck, I doubt you'll have any problem with the 3400's being under powered/sized.