PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke trimmers ?

rollman
03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a question for you guys using 4 stroke trimmers . I was talking to the Stihl Rep yesterday about the FS100RX , he was saying the valves need adjusting from time to time . Are any of you finding this to be true ?

Does the same go the Shindaiwa T254 Hybrid 4 . If this is the case it sounds like a huge PIA . TIA

My local dealer has both models on sale , the Stilh is 320 and Shindaiwa is 313 .

rlitman
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
They're supposed to be adjusted every 100 hours. Detailed instructions can be found on this site if you search. It takes but a few minutes to do.

BigFish
03-10-2012, 08:40 PM
In my opinion, all the so-called 4stroke and real 4 stroke hand held stuff is just a bunch of over- hyped junk!! They weigh more, ya STILL gotta use gas-oil mix in most of em, AND ya gotta adjust the valves!! So somebody please explain to me the advantage!! Include full color 8X10 glossy photos if needed!

Just get ya a two stroke and have at it.

T-Trim
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
we have nothing but 4mix stihl. Haven't adjusted one yet. Very powerful and quiet compared to the 2 cycle ones. Also runs at a lower rpm.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-11-2012, 10:43 PM
We have had nothing good to say about the four stroke trimmers. That being said everyone get used to it because as a industry that's where we are headed.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
03-12-2012, 05:36 PM
We have had nothing good to say about the four stroke trimmers.

What do you have that's bad to say, that is actually caused by 4-stroke operation being inferior to 2-stroke, and not caused by poor fuel, or the awful carbs we're forced to use because of environmental regulations (which are found on 2 and 4 stroke machines anyway)?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Tough starts, cold running, when you have to warm up a trimmer for 30 seconds each property its a serious waste of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Shindaiwa had a really weird spec on theirs. I think they changed it to something easier to keep track of but it used to be adjust valves every 157 hours or some weird number. I will have to look it up to be sure.

Does this ever get done? Probably not.

Supposed to adjust valve on Kawasaki engines every 300 hours. How many people actually do it?

Patriot Services
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Damn near impossible to keep track of hours on a handheld. I've always gone by the pull feel method. When it starts to get hard to pull its time to check the valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Procareope
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
It sounds like a daunting task, but with a few simple tools and about 15 minutes adjusting the valves isn't that difficult. It just becomes a part of regular maintenance. Shindaiwa's new time frame for adjusting the valves is at 135 hours (T344), which is also what Stihl is now recommending. How you keep track of these hours is a mystery in itself.

rlitman
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Tough starts, cold running, when you have to warm up a trimmer for 30 seconds each property its a serious waste of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like an equipment problem to me.

I switched from a Stihl FS85 (2-cycle), which always required about 30-45 seconds of warm up to work, and 3-5 pulls to start, plus fiddling with the choke since day one (if I didn't warm it up, it would stall when I hit the trigger), to a KM110 (4-mix) which starts on 1-2 pulls, and I can go full throttle immediately (I was told by the dealer that this newer engine includes an accelerator pump, may be why it responds so well to the throttle).
That, and now I don't smell like gas when I'm done.
I really need to get rid of that old POS.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
What is a km?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
What is a km?
Posted via Mobile Device

The powerhead for the Kombi series.
Posted via Mobile Device

Z's Lawncare
03-13-2012, 08:36 PM
same here with my fs110 1st pull and its ready to go

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Damn near impossible to keep track of hours on a handheld. I've always gone by the pull feel method. When it starts to get hard to pull its time to check the valves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here pull hard or doent idle right is good sign

If the trimmer is service right they run fine

I have 3 FS110 this be fourth yr with no problems Im liking them

My old 2 storkers I was lucky get 3 yrs out them most time 2 yrs and I had to start working on them once that happens I would by new

I hate down time waiting on parts