PDA

View Full Version : Stens blades

jetta
03-09-2012, 07:37 PM
anyone use or have any feed back on this brand of heavy duty mower blade for my lazers?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Stems are good blades.
I have been using Oregon g6 blades from Baileys. I would give them a try if I were you.
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I tried some stens blades on my turf tracer. I wasn't crazy about them. The lift wasn't quite as high so they didn't leave as nice of a cut as exmark high lifts. I just bought some Oregon blades for Russo power that I am going to try. They have a higher lift, are wider, and are a bit heavier.

DAR57
03-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Worthless. Bent most of them. I cant ever remember bending any Oregon's. I have been buying Oregon's from Bailey's too.

Snapper Jack
03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Been ordering my Oregon blades from Stonewelltrading.com

kmzlawncare
03-10-2012, 06:12 PM
I use stens there not bad for the money and my dealer gives my a good deal on them.

Richard Martin
03-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I use Gator G6 exclusively.

kmzlawncare
03-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I use Gator G6 exclusively.

So do you use a gator(mulch) the whole season?

Richard Martin
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
So do you use a gator(mulch) the whole season?

Yes, the G6 specifically. It's not your ordinary Gator. Hi lift, 2.5" wide, .250 thick and a Fusion edge. I started using them last spring and told everyone here at Lawnsite about my experience. Now just about everybody that tries them loves them. They are not designed to mulch, just discharge. To get a good mulching blade you need a low lift blade. Just enough lift to pull up the grass.

Mike_Mows
04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Using a thicker, wider, heavier blade is a great way to put extra stress on spindles and cut down the lifespan. I know enough about metal to know that the Fusion blades just have a hard slurry that will eventually chip off and aren't worth the extra money. Oregon does their best work when they market a product because everybody believes everything they say. I'll take the blade that bends over the one that breaks any day for liability reasons. Rotary makes the softest blade by far in the market.

Exact Rototilling
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Using a thicker, wider, heavier blade is a great way to put extra stress on spindles and cut down the lifespan. I know enough about metal to know that the Fusion blades just have a hard slurry that will eventually chip off and aren't worth the extra money. Oregon does their best work when they market a product because everybody believes everything they say. I'll take the blade that bends over the one that breaks any day for liability reasons. Rotary makes the softest blade by far in the market.

My G6 blades fusion hardened btw have been used.for down and dirty low.mows rocks peebles gravel and have not.as of yet chipped or sent projectiles down range. The cutting edge simply holds and edge longer but eventually needs to be sharpened.

Me thinks Oregon ® did their homework on their fusion blades.

:waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Dude, you're way wrong. The G6 has carbide infused into the cutting edge. It doesn't chip off either. They'll last as long as any blade made today Oregon tests their blades plenty before marketing them. They are neither too hard or too soft. They do exactly what Oregon says they'll do. A blade that bends too easily is useless. No way we're all wrong and you're the one that's right bro. Sorry.

BTW- my Oregon G6's are the exact same width and thickness as my OEM highlifts that came std on my mower.

Edited to ad that I see ER beat me to it.:)

Mike_Mows
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Ask some people in metal manufacturing about using a hard slurry instead of an actual alteration of the metal. It's the equivalent of welding hardfacing on bucket teeth but sticking it on with Elmer's glue. It's cosmetic but still great marketing because no one else does it. Doesn't really matter, all blades come from about 3 or 4 places in the world anyway. Just different stamps and paint jobs.

Ridin' Green
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Ask some people in metal manufacturing about using a hard slurry instead of an actual alteration of the metal. It's the equivalent of welding hardfacing on bucket teeth but sticking it on with Elmer's glue. It's cosmetic but still great marketing because no one else does it. Doesn't really matter, all blades come from about 3 or 4 places in the world anyway. Just different stamps and paint jobs.

WOW :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Mike_Mows
04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Nothing against Oregon. I happen to be fully equipped with the standard Gators as we speak. I have enough metallurgy experience to know a little bit about what I'm saying. You sound like an Oregon rep there dude.

Mike_Mows
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
You hang around enough intoxicated people after the Louisville Expo show and you'll get all kinds of inside industry info.

Richard Martin
04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Doesn't really matter, all blades come from about 3 or 4 places in the world anyway. Just different stamps and paint jobs.

I don't really care who makes the Oregon blade as long as it's not some little Chinese kid working for a dollar a day.

This much I do know. There is no other blade like the G6 and regular Gators aren't even close.

Ridin' Green
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Nothing against Oregon. I happen to be fully equipped with the standard Gators as we speak. I have enough metallurgy experience to know a little bit about what I'm saying. You sound like an Oregon rep there dude.

Nope. Just an honest guy who will readily post both if something is junk or it is great, and the G6's great. I've also posted many times on LS that I don't have much use for regular Gator blades, especially for commercial mowing. If you have no hands on experience with them, then you're talking out your other end here bro. There's no comparison between regular Gators and the G6's. On top of that, there's an Oregon rep here that doesn't need any of us to explain or defend his product for him, to you. He does a great job of doing so himself, and is a pretty straight forward man.

Richard Martin
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Using a thicker, wider, heavier blade is a great way to put extra stress on spindles and cut down the lifespan.

I never have understood this claim. If the blades are balanced then they should be inertia neutral. I can see a problem with the belts and clutches, but not the spindles.

Mike_Mows
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
All this does make for some great conversations. I'm really glad I joined up today. If you ever get a chance to take a tour of the Oregon Kansas City plant, jump on it. Very slick operation. I got a buddy that does maintenance for Valley Crest in the Norfolk, VA area. Told me they are getting rid of their Lazers and Turf Tigers and going with all walk behind and some Wright Standers because of the high cost of rider maintenance. I wouldn't be a big fan of mowing some huge VA estate standing on a Velke.

ProStreetCamaro
04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Stens is owned by Ariens which owns gravely. The gravely oem blades are carbide and not cheap. The stens blades are exact carbon copy at half the cost. Been using stens for a couple years now with no issues. I did just install the G6 blades on the 160Z and today was the first full day of cutting with them and here is my take..........

1.They cut the same as high lift blades
2. I dont notice a reduction in clippings or the clipping size
3. They are pricey

Jury is still out on them as far as I am concerned. I will throw the stens back on toward the end of the week and watch closely to see if I notice the clippings being longer with the oem blades.

Stens high lift VS G6

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/20120427_124541.jpg

Snapper Jack
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Looks like someones been hanging around to many intoxicated expo BS'ers. Spindle bearings aren't designed for weight differences nor can the they tell the differences of weight, as there job is to provide vertical support for the blade spindle bolt and reduction in friction during rotational direction as the bearings or bearing races wear with rotational cycles,then "Maybe" the extra blade mass pose an issue towards bearing wear.Been using double blade set ups on my mower for about a year and have yet to detect any signs of spindle bearing wear but have noticed my engine doesn't have the A$$ to spin'em in heavy growth sometimes.
As far as the Fusion blades breaking and chipping away from hitting objects,I've hit everything from rocks to telephone pole rods and when it comes time to resharpening I just work the nicks out just like I do on those cheap flex blades you speak so highly of.
There's enough testimonial from numerous members here to"Bust" your little rampage of denouncing the G6's or Oregons reputation.

Mike_Mows
04-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Want me to start a slow clap now because I am in Awe of your "opinion"?Trying to bust Oregon's reputation? I guess you could get that by me saying I use their blades on everything and I recommend a tour of their plant. Last time I checked having my own opinion was ok. When you've had a Fusion break and go through a pickup bedside, we'll talk.