PDA

View Full Version : Contacting New Accounts

Nicktw25
03-09-2012, 09:34 PM
My uncle recently got out of the mowing business and I just so happened to be starting up. So he sold me his 30 accounts and equipment. He has all residential besides one neighborhood commons area he mows.

My main question is how should I go about contacting the accounts. They aren't on contracts, so they aren't guaranteed. My uncle said he will be sending out a letter to all of them explaining he's selling it to me. So how should I follow up after that? Go door to door to meet them after he sends the letter out? Or do I call them? Or send out a letter?

I've worked with him in the past on most of the accounts, but have only met about 5 of the people. I already know what all the work details.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!! :clapping:

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Have him word the letter as you are taking over the family business after working with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nicktw25
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
But there will be a name change. It's my mom's brother so he has a different lastname then me. His company is his (lastname landscaping). But that does sound like a good idea!

Thanks

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-09-2012, 10:36 PM
If I were you, keep the name as a division of your landscape name for a full season. Continue to build new accounts under your name and next year just let all your uncles accounts know you have simply changed the name of the business and the old name will be phased out. Probably going to be the easiest transition. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nicktw25
03-09-2012, 11:56 PM
I do like that idea. But I have ZERO customers as of right now. I was going to build off his 30 or so accounts he has. Are there any more ideas to be tossed around?

PROCUT1
03-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Call them up or stop by and introduce yourself and let them know you took over for your uncle and you will be mowing their grass now. Pretty simple.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewHorizonLandscaping
03-10-2012, 12:45 AM
I just went through this when I purchased some accounts. The guy I bought them from sent out a letter basically telling the clients what was going on. In the same envelope I had a letter of introduction with all my info. I also included in my letter that prices would be remaining the same.

Nicktw25
03-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I just went through this when I purchased some accounts. The guy I bought them from sent out a letter basically telling the clients what was going on. In the same envelope I had a letter of introduction with all my info. I also included in my letter that prices would be remaining the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nicktw25
03-10-2012, 12:52 AM
So how did you get them to confirm they still wanted their yards to be serviced? Did you tell them that you'll be starting on a certain date, and if they don't want serviced to contacts you?
Posted via Mobile Device

NewHorizonLandscaping
03-10-2012, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=Nicktw25;4344359]So how did you get them to confirm they still wanted their yards to be serviced? Did you tell them that you'll be starting on a certain date, and if they don't want serviced to contacts you?
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

I just said if they have any question, comments or concerns to just contact me. I told them the week I would be starting and if they needed anything before that date to let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
03-10-2012, 01:31 AM
My uncle recently got out of the mowing business and I just so happened to be starting up. So he sold me his 30 accounts and equipment. He has all residential besides one neighborhood commons area he mows.

My main question is how should I go about contacting the accounts. They aren't on contracts, so they aren't guaranteed. My uncle said he will be sending out a letter to all of them explaining he's selling it to me. So how should I follow up after that? Go door to door to meet them after he sends the letter out? Or do I call them? Or send out a letter?

I've worked with him in the past on most of the accounts, but have only met about 5 of the people. I already know what all the work details.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!! :clapping:

I was in the same situation last year when I started ... One of MIT cousins gave me some yardsso what we did was one Saturday we got together and went to each house and he told the people in person that I was taking over the yard and it worked out really good. Every body was happy that they talked to them in person... Just my $0.02 cents..

U got lucky though 30 yeards is a nice start... Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

guitarman2420
03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Do you have any of the customer's e-mail addresses? You could offer a "teaser" to move them to some sort of agreement or offer a discount for install/projects.

When companies change hands the big concern is that the personal touch will be gone. I'm not saying to use e-mail as your normal communication; but you can use it to augment your communication. Make sure you assure them that if anything the "personal touch" will be better.