PDA

View Full Version : multi tool?

scottslawncareav
03-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I am looking at getting the sthil yard boss with the aerator, de thatcher, and flower bed tiller attachment. I live in southern ca and most of my lawns are around 900 - 3600 sqft. I would not be using it on every yard mostly just spot and maybe a hole yard every now and then depending on how it works. my question is for small spot thatching and aeration is there something else i could use as a kombi? I am getting the kombi with the hedge trimmer and could get the tiller attachment for my edges. Dont whant to spend 4 grand to buy an aerator and a thatcher dont need them?

rlitman
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Before I sold the Yard Boss, I had one with the tiller, and a Kombi at the same time.
I took the tiller gearbox off the Yard Boss, and put it on a Kombi shaft. It worked, but was an absolute bear to use. The Yard Boss uses the weight of the motor to correctly balance the tool, and the Kombi (with the motor behind the balance point) just isn't suited to this sort of use.

I really only used the Yard Boss to turn over a small vegetable garden, and it worked well, but when I got a good deal on a used Honda F220 tiller, I switched to that, and now I do the same job in half the time.

I'm not a real fan of slit aeration either. With the F220, I have this wacky adaptor that does core aeration (although you need to make at least two passes over each area, and it's also a workout to follow the machine at a fast enough pace that pulls cores well).

The Kombi is a fantastic tool, but I'm just a simple homeowner, and I just cannot picture the Yard Boss in commercial use as a tiller, or aerator. It's probably better than a Mantis, but still quite tiny (I'm not saying it was underpowered as a tiller, the engine never bogged down, but that's because it tilled such a narrow path). Perhaps someone has a better comment on the thatcher attachment. I know that for a while, Stihl was offering that as a Kombi attachment too, but the website shows that it's now just marketed for the Yard Boss, and I'm guessing it is because of that same balance issue.

locallawncare.ca
11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
The stihl is great for dethatching and tilling small areas, when you dethacth it pulls up along and you kind of have to hold it back or it goes too quick, I use in in the spring to dethatch with spring cleanups, and the tiller is great for small areas, its pretty aggresive although anything over a couple hundred sqaure feet its kinda small, but thats too be expected. Honda also makes a similar one that is 4 stroke, seems good also, but cant go wrong with stihl. If you just need a tiller, you can buy the attachment and put it on a trimmer, but not very user friendly, also the aerator seems useless, its not really an aerator, i have a ryan aerator, great money maker, worth the money. Hope this helps.