PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Tire Beads

ed2hess
03-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I was told up at the expo that this is something to be done yearly. Found out quick not easy to get tire broken loose from the bead. But good old engr. skills paid off. This tire was sitting on a WB all winter and was flat and
was leaking at bead.

Those tires on this big Scag have been leaking a little all year so I will try
to get them lubed next.

Jason Rose
03-10-2012, 08:52 PM
good luck!!!

I had a couple tires for my zero turn that were not wanting to seat on the beads, so the guy at the tire shop used some of that "goop" to help seal the bead to get it to pop. Worked, but here's the kicker... I took 'em home, put them on the machine, fired it up and went to GO and I wasn't going anywhere! The tires were at pressure and the rims were just spinning in the tires! It was a freaking mess! Rendered them useless obviously. Tried some sort of tire solvent to clean the goop out enough to get the rim and the tire to hold onto one another. Finally had to break them back down and clean as much of that crap off as possible.

I used to mess with changing my own tires, but for a few bucks, literally, my tire shop will do them. 30 minutes of sweating and swearing is well worth a few bucks to me!

ed2hess
03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Well I didn't think about that happening. Maybe I'll back to McCoys and see if they had any complaints.

93Chevy
03-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Hmm...I've never even heard of that...learn something new every day I guess

Quix
03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I believe a bead of silicone would do the trick.

heather lawn sp
03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Usually use green dish detergent and water 50:50. Works on up to a 26x12-12.
I stay off the 10 ply truck tires those go to the tire shop. The smaller tires, the caster on the Z's are harder to do than the 26's:dizzy:

I've been known to break a bead seal with the down pressure from a skid steer bucket

ed2hess
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I was thinking about the possibility of that tire slipping on the rim and I don't think that will happen. I am using about over 100# just to push it
part way off the rim. When I took the force off it back it came up to the bead. The idea is for this to last long term in helping keep it sealed not for putting it on the rim. I know that stupid green stuff cost me a bunch and I have to constantly put it in.

Richard Martin
03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Usually use green dish detergent and water 50:50. Works on up to a 26x12-12.
The smaller tires, the caster on the Z's are harder to do than the 26's:dizzy:

I use straight Dawn on mine. I just did the two fronts on my Dixie. They're a bigger tire than any others use (15X600x6) so I guess they're easier to work on.

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 04:18 PM
guess since I've never had a leaky tire I don't mess with it. even I were to decide it was necessary to do this yearly I'd have someone else with the proper tools do it.

I'm only interested in the maintenance I can do myself. oil, oil filter, belts, greasings zerks, air filter, hydro filter, hydro oil, etc......

agrostis
03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Greasing a bead is probably unnecessary. I have seen bead's that wouldn't seat because of this. The only tire's that i saw stuck to a rim were rear tractor tire's that were rusted on because they were water filled and had been on for 20 year's. Now i just let a tire place take care of thing's like that. But if you want to do your own, then this tool http://www.wikco.com/tire.html (the 100.103) can be very handy. But it has to be bolted to the floor.

ed2hess
03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Greasing a bead is probably unnecessary. I have seen bead's that wouldn't seat because of this. The only tire's that i saw stuck to a rim were rear tractor tire's that were rusted on because they were water filled and had been on for 20 year's. Now i just let a tire place take care of thing's like that. But if you want to do your own, then this tool http://www.wikco.com/tire.html (the 100.103) can be very handy. But it has to be bolted to the floor.

This tire had been on the mower for about 2 years. Over the winter it went flat. So I checked it after airing up and it leaked at the bead. Now would you take it off and clean the bead or what? Most of us would shoot the green stuff in. And what is wrong with my method of pushing it away from the bead? Took about 10 minutes after I figured out how to do it. With my method the tire didn't come away totally from the bead. We all know how hard it is to get some new tires on beads. I watched the dealer use the fire tricks last week and it amazes me that it works and don't catch the tire on fire.

Hawkshot99
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
We all know how hard it is to get some new tires on beads. I watched the dealer use the fire tricks last week and it amazes me that it works and don't catch the tire on fire.

Very easy to seat a tire bead. Stater fluid does wonders!:laugh: Very scary the first few times, but super easy once you get used to it. It wont catch the tire on fire. To do that the rubber must sit in a burning flame for a extended period. Not the 1 second fie ball that is produced.

If you do it. Pull the center of the air stem out. I have had the tire seat and then the low pressure after the explosion unseat the bead before. A little starter fluid is all you need. DO NOT COAT THE INSIDE OF THE TIRE AND LIGHT IT!

Richard Martin
03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
guess since I've never had a leaky tire I don't mess with it. even I were to decide it was necessary to do this yearly I'd have someone else with the proper tools do it.

How is it that you're not a millionaire with all of the luck you have? I mean really. You only put air in your mower tires when you bring the mower home and never have to add air again?

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
This tire had been on the mower for about 2 years. Over the winter it went flat. So I checked it after airing up and it leaked at the bead. Now would you take it off and clean the bead or what? Most of us would shoot the green stuff in. And what is wrong with my method of pushing it away from the bead? Took about 10 minutes after I figured out how to do it. With my method the tire didn't come away totally from the bead. We all know how hard it is to get some new tires on beads. I watched the dealer use the fire tricks last week and it amazes me that it works and don't catch the tire on fire.

actually I'd take it to the dealer or a tire guy and let them worry about it.

How is it that you're not a millionaire with all of the luck you have? I mean really. You only put air in your mower tires when you bring the mower home and never have to add air again?

who says I'm not a millionaire???

no I have to add air from time to time but not because of a leak. maybe like after winter. I can't really even say I add air once a month.

put air in when I get the mower home from the dealer? they have air in them when they leave the dealer.

Hawkshot99
03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
no I have to add air from time to time but not because of a leak. maybe like after winter. I can't really even say I add air once a month.

Where is the air going that is in your tires then? who is sneaking into the garage and letting it out since its not leaking?

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Where is the air going that is in your tires then? who is sneaking into the garage and letting it out since its not leaking?

be a smart @ss I don't care.

for one thing everyone know tires need air now and then. you don't just fill them up and are done. there's changes in temps and just general use. they aren't air tight.

but I was referring more to the fact that I've never had a tire leak around the seal to where I or anyone else would need to go the extent of packing the bead with grease. and I don't agree with anyone that this is something that should be done as preventative maintenance once a year.

Richard Martin
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
but I was referring more to the fact that I've never had a tire leak around the seal to where I or anyone else would need to go the extent of packing the bead with grease. and I don't agree with anyone that this is something that should be done as preventative maintenance once a year.

See now, that makes more sense. I've never had a bead leak on a mower either. I'm not saying that it can't or won't ever happen to me. I also disagree that it necessary to ever do this unless you have a bead leak. Routine yearly maintenance of the tire bead is nonsense. :laugh:

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
See now, that makes more sense. I've never had a bead leak on a mower either. I'm not saying that it can't or won't ever happen to me. I also disagree that it necessary to ever do this unless you have a bead leak. Routine yearly maintenance of the tire bead is nonsense. :laugh:

I'm misunderstood on this site a lot and every now and then someone understands........:clapping:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
I was told up at the expo that this is something to be done yearly. Found out quick not easy to get tire broken loose from the bead. But good old engr. skills paid off. This tire was sitting on a WB all winter and was flat and
was leaking at bead.

Those tires on this big Scag have been leaking a little all year so I will try
to get them lubed next.
I see you took his advise :hammerhead: You put that tire goop on and ur tire will spin on the rim
If have problems taking tires off buy or make you a slidehammer to break the beads off the rim
Best bead lub to use is Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle

I was out town my manger couldnt change tire so he took it to a tire shop and they put that goop on and it ruin the tire
Put mower on a slope The rim would turn tire wouldn t move
I was mad brand new tire the tire shop bought me a new one

If its leaking around rim take tires off and clean the rims

Richard Martin
03-12-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm misunderstood on this site a lot and every now and then someone understands........:clapping:

That's because you type in absolutes or incompletes. An example of an incomplete is this:

guess since I've never had a leaky tire I don't mess with it.

If you had written:

guess since I've never had a leaky tire bead I don't mess with it.

I'd have read that and kept on moving.

Richard Martin
03-12-2012, 04:51 AM
An example of an absolute is this:

Dixie Choppers never have problems.

I would write...

My Dixie Chopper has never had a problem.

See the difference?

or...

Dixie Choppers never have problems

I would write...

I never read about any Dixie Chopper problems. (I used a sentence similar to this in the recent Dixie Chopper Run Behind thread)

You have to leave yourself an out when you write. Don't say that another scenario is impossible. Because the minute you do someone is going to call you out in it.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-12-2012, 05:23 AM

I'm only interested in the maintenance I can do myself. oil, oil filter, belts, greasings zerks, air filter, hydro filter, hydro oil, etc......

I do the same.

dhardin53
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Best money I ever spent, A must have when doing some of the deep yards I mow.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-tire-changer-34552.html

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
again.....if my tire is leaking that bad its either time for a new tire or it goes to the dealer or tire place for repair.....

no matter how easy people or there devices make it out to be, it's not something I'm going to mess with.

in 24 years I've been driving vehicles and using mowers with tires that have air in them and I have yet to grease a bead and I have yet to have one leak from the bead. so do you really think I can be convinced I need to have that device or grease my tire beads yearly????

ed2hess
03-12-2012, 10:50 PM
again.....if my tire is leaking that bad its either time for a new tire or it goes to the dealer or tire place for repair.....

no matter how easy people or there devices make it out to be, it's not something I'm going to mess with.

in 24 years I've been driving vehicles and using mowers with tires that have air in them and I have yet to grease a bead and I have yet to have one leak from the bead. so do you really think I can be convinced I need to have that device or grease my tire beads yearly????

So don't do it then.....you must live in the perfect world because it isn't unusual for me to find a flat front tire on equipment when I do the weekly checkup. And usuallly the tire is loose on the bead and got grass in it. Now what would you do? Well I usually air it up and go....then three weeks later it is flat. Then I get the green stuff and put in and then in 3 months it is flat. Then I try to get no flat tires but uuppp those cost a fortune. Now I intend to try this grease but I am fine if you want to ignor the advise.

I suppose you don't carry an air tank, plugs and pump either:dizzy: These are items in a working truck. Oh forgot the green goup.

yardguy28
03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
So don't do it then.....you must live in the perfect world because it isn't unusual for me to find a flat front tire on equipment when I do the weekly checkup. And usuallly the tire is loose on the bead and got grass in it. Now what would you do? Well I usually air it up and go....then three weeks later it is flat. Then I get the green stuff and put in and then in 3 months it is flat. Then I try to get no flat tires but uuppp those cost a fortune. Now I intend to try this grease but I am fine if you want to ignor the advise.

I suppose you don't carry an air tank, plugs and pump either:dizzy: These are items in a working truck. Oh forgot the green goup.

actually my front tires came standard flat free. so the fronts are always good to go. both on my 36" metro and 52" grandstand.

no I don't carry an air tank, plugs, pump or green goup with me. I don't even own any of that stuff except for the air compressor.

if I got a flat I'd use my spare until I could have it fixed.

don't know if I live in the perfect world but I know I've never had a flat tire so far.

ed2hess
04-10-2012, 09:51 PM
For all the guys that never have flat tires ignor the following. I am more convinced that greasing the beads on older tires is a big winner. For one thing they slip on the bead with ease. That alone is worth the trouble of putting on the grease. I have three tires leaking and all of them were fixed with the grease. All of these tires had the green guuuu that was partially dryed out.

ed2hess
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
It is messey but seems to work.