PDA

View Full Version : English Ivy Killer

zooba72
03-10-2012, 08:26 PM
The previous owner of my property neglected it for about 10 years and it's now inundated with English ivy. It's already killed numerous trees and I've been using a bobcat to remove it. Unfortunately there are certain areas where I need to spray it ... Can someone recommend a brush killer or anything that works well on Ivy?

Also, is now the time to start spraying? I live in LI, NY (Zone 7).

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

93Chevy
03-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Glyphosate or triclopyr will control it (should be within a week) ...just make sure to spray it only on the Ivy. And read the label of any chemical product before applying for any special considerations (PPE, runoff, etc). And make sure the specific product is listed for English Ivy.

Mike Fronczak
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Most likely an non selective (as mentioned above) will work, just read the label, you may have to double up (or more) the mix rate, and repeated applications to finally be rid of it. I know pacasandra, can be tough to kill the root system, we had it at our old house, but I wasnt persistant enough either.

zooba72
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the input. I purchased some Glyphosate concentrate and am attacking all of the new growth. The biggest problem is that this stuff is under everything I want to keep, so I can't indiscriminately spray it.

Thanks!

93Chevy
03-12-2012, 10:16 PM
You might have to use a paintbrush and apply it to individual leaves if you can't spray it

Dr.NewEarth
03-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Glyphosate won't work well if it's under 70 degrees ferenheit.

zooba72
03-13-2012, 01:34 AM
That was one of my concerns.... The label suggested at least 60 degrees. It's been a mild winter and the ivy is starting to spread again, but the temperature is in the high 50's, maybe low 60s. I tried applying some yesterday during the warmest part of the day, but it still gets cold at night. I'm going to probably hold off until it warms up a bit. Thanks