PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Shelving

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Ok, I did about an hour of searching and did not find what I am looking for. What I want to do is building two shelves in the v section of my v nose 7x16 trailer. I want it to be able to hold various items that I dont want lying on the floor because I dont want anything lying on the floor and have to step over it and end up tripping over it. So if you have any pics of the way you did your shelving Id like to see it.

DoetschOutdoor
03-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I dont have any pics of mine but I will try to get some. Put a 2x4 across the trailer about 3 foot from the ground at the end of the trailer before it gets to the V. Then took a big sheet of plywood and cut out the V section and braced it to the wall with legs for support against the very front of the trailer.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I was thinking of using the metal angle bracket

tbone3
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Im interested in that too! Cant wait to see pics.

Tom

Az Gardener
03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Definitely use angle Iron if you can afford it. Use big self tapping screws (the small ones break) to secure to the wall studs. The angle iron across the front attached to the plywood will make it rigid especially if you get it connected to the angle iron on the walls. I suggest turning the angle up to give yourself some lip to prevent stuff from sliding off so easily.

Its a good idea to pre drill the angle iron, the self tapping screws go through the wall studs pretty easily but the angle iron is much thicker. Use caution not to strip out the wall studs when tapping into them that is very thin metal on most trailers.

Whatever you do realize that attaching wood to wood is a very temporary solution in an enclosed trailer. They are just too flexible and bounce around too much. If you must attach wood to wood use metal angle braces to strengthen the connections.

Got my first enclosed in 1994 My current ones are 6-3 and 2 years old

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-14-2012, 11:54 PM
I just got my new enclosed today. Planning on running a 2x4 between two vertical studs on the V, then running two 2x4's to the V along each wall to hold the shelf up (securing these boards to the frame). Then just get some plywood or pressboard and cut to fit, screw in. Seems simple enough as long as you are tapping into the frame itself for the supports.

DoetschOutdoor
03-15-2012, 05:09 PM
I just got my new enclosed today. Planning on running a 2x4 between two vertical studs on the V, then running two 2x4's to the V along each wall to hold the shelf up (securing these boards to the frame). Then just get some plywood or pressboard and cut to fit, screw in. Seems simple enough as long as you are tapping into the frame itself for the supports.

Exactly what I did and have never had any problems. It normally just holds a few gas cans, tools, and a blower or two. Its strong enough to sit on so no amount of tools would hurt it and have never had anything come loose doing it this way in 3 enclosed trailers.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Definitely use angle Iron if you can afford it. Use big self tapping screws (the small ones break) to secure to the wall studs. The angle iron across the front attached to the plywood will make it rigid especially if you get it connected to the angle iron on the walls. I suggest turning the angle up to give yourself some lip to prevent stuff from sliding off so easily.

Its a good idea to pre drill the angle iron, the self tapping screws go through the wall studs pretty easily but the angle iron is much thicker. Use caution not to strip out the wall studs when tapping into them that is very thin metal on most trailers.

Whatever you do realize that attaching wood to wood is a very temporary solution in an enclosed trailer. They are just too flexible and bounce around too much. If you must attach wood to wood use metal angle braces to strengthen the connections.

Got my first enclosed in 1994 My current ones are 6-3 and 2 years old

Do you have any pics of yours? That sounds pretty sturdy but do you think screws will support the weight of the angle iron alone?