PDA

View Full Version : New Z920A

ablownranger
03-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Hi I have been reading many post from all you and have learned alot...this past Friday I picked up a brand new z920a...so far i love the mower but the Z445 that i had would walk circles around this mower in thicker grass.. now i know the two don't even come close to comparison but this 920 really seems weak...are they all like that when they are new? Right now i'm really thinking i messed up and should have bought something different.

any advice???

Ridin' Green
03-11-2012, 11:06 AM
A couple things are coming into play here.
The Z445 had a larger engine (depending on the year), and smaller wheel pumps which require less HP to operate (10cc vs 13 cc), and it weight about half of what the 920 weighs. The 920 is far, far better made and is a commercial mower that will be going strong long after the Z445 has given it up. You'll have much less chance of down time with the 920 too. Give the new engine about 50-100 hours to break in good.

mowerbrad
03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
What size deck are you running on the 920? What type of blades are on it, high lifts or mulching? High lift blades will draw more power from the engine than lower lift or mulching blades.

After you put some time on the mower through the season, it will gain some power. I know mine felt a little weak when I first bought it and was running the collection system on it too. But by the first 50 hour oil change, the power had definately increased.

You may also want to make sure the the engine is actually getting up to the proper RPM's. I don't know if your dealer actually went through the machine before you took delivery of it, but the engine could just need to be tuned to the correct RPM's if it is running a little slow.

I believe John Deere still has their 30 day buy back program going. Though maybe not? I know last year Deere had the program going that you could basically purchase the mower, use it for up to 30 days and then if you weren't satisfied for any reason, you could return the mower for a full refund. If it doesn't get better, you could also look into that.

ablownranger
03-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. This thing is bone stock 60" deck with no bagger or anything. It was just put together the day before i got so i'm not sure how much time was taken to make sure it was right. I now have 4.4 hours on it and it does seem to be getting a little better. My yard is only around 2 acres but i sometimes mow my moms which is about 6 acres. I don't cut for a living or anything i just wanted something better than what i had. I went to buy the 720a but i couldn't stand how loud the kohler was. I do feel that this mower is very well made and the controls are awesome.

Ridin' Green
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. This thing is bone stock 60" deck with no bagger or anything. It was just put together the day before i got so i'm not sure how much time was taken to make sure it was right. I now have 4.4 hours on it and it does seem to be getting a little better. My yard is only around 2 acres but i sometimes mow my moms which is about 6 acres. I don't cut for a living or anything i just wanted something better than what i had. I went to buy the 720a but i couldn't stand how loud the kohler was. I do feel that this mower is very well made and the controls are awesome.

That's interesting to me that the Kohler sounds loud to you. Most guys here would say that the Kawi is louder. I have owned both brands, and I always thought the Kawi's were a little louder. They're certainly louder than the Kohler I have on my Z720A right now, but I believe that I have it sold. I will be buying either a Z950, or a Scag TT. Just not sure yet.

weeze
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
i have the z920a with 54" deck. it does bog down but only when the grass is thick and wet and over 8" tall when you cut it. when cutting weekly or biweekly yards i've never had any problems with it bogging down. it only seems to bog down if you do any "out of the ordinary" type jobs where the grass is a foot tall and the yard/property has been neglected. at those times you just have to really slow down and it will cut through it just fine.

ablownranger
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
How high do you usually cut your grass?? My yard for the most part didn't need cutting just in places. What i was doing is just trying level it up. I'd say the for the most part it was only about 6" tall and mostly weeds that were growing. I cut it at 2.5 inches just to level it up because the rest of the yard was short. It was wet and I know that takes more power i just didn't expect to have to crawl through it. I"m hoping once i get some more hours on it its going to wake up lol.

ProStreetCamaro
03-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I demoed a Z925a last summer. You are right they are WEAK. The demo I had was a 60" with 27hp kawi and it had about 12 hours on it when I picked it up. I loved everything about the mower except for how quickly and easily it would bog down. It cut great, rode great, had a very comfy seat, handled very well. Simply loved everything about it but the dang thing had NO power. My own personal backyard has a long grade that my 25hp kohler powered 60" gravely has zero issues with. The Z925a slowed to half speed coming up the same grade. It is the hydro system in the JD mowers. It has to be. 27hp should be way more than enough for a 60" mower. I even came up the grade with the blades off and it slowed down.

The demo unit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050875.jpg

My backyard cut with my gravely.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050836-1.jpg

Ridin' Green
03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I demoed a Z925a last summer. You are right they are WEAK. The demo I had was a 60" with 27hp kawi and it had about 12 hours on it when I picked it up. I loved everything about the mower except for how quickly and easily it would bog down. It cut great, rode great, had a very comfy seat, handled very well. Simply loved everything about it but the dang thing had NO power. My own personal backyard has a long grade that my 25hp kohler powered 60" gravely has zero issues with. The Z925a slowed to half speed coming up the same grade. It is the hydro system in the JD mowers. It has to be. 27hp should be way more than enough for a 60" mower. I even came up the grade with the blades off and it slowed down.

I remember when you did that last year.

That is really strange. Makes me think that the parking brake adjustment was too tight, and the internal wet disk was dragging. My Z720 w/25 HP Kohlerwould have no problem zipping right up your hill back there while running the 60" deck it has. The 720 has 10cc pumps instead of the 13cc's on the 925. I have talked to other guys who run the 925 with the 54" decks, both std and MOD, and some even run baggers, and none of them have any trouble with hills like yours either.

I do know that those engines don't really start producing their peak power until they get somewhere upwards of 50 hours on them.

BTW:

Like I said last year- that yard looks great. Nice lay to the land too.