PDA

View Full Version : Compact impact - I think I just got the handiest

TMlawncare
03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
For years I have had alway just used a ratchet to get blades off all the mowers. Sometimes I have to use a cheater bar to get them off but usually not. We have a 1/2" corded impact but it always a pain to haul out but does the job. We now have 10 mowers we have to sharpen blades weekly. The biggest pita being the new wright zk. That thing seems to fuse the blades on to the point I can not get them off even with a cheater bar. I tried the corded 1/2 impact and it will not fit between the floor and the spindle, even while jacked all the way up on my floor jack.
I have always wanted a cordless compact impact but worried about the power. Well after some research I bought the most powerful one and got it for a real goood price. I got the Dewalt 1/4" 20v impact. This thing is half the size of my dewalt drill and weighs only about 3lbs with battery. Its only about 5" long. I put a 3/8" adapter in it so I could use my 15/16 socket for the Wright zk. I checked and it was so tight I could not budge it with a ratchet. I put the new Dewalt on it and it did not even strain. I really couldn't believe it. Thought I would share. $199 at Lowes with two batteries.

ed2hess
03-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I am sure that might be better than the one at Sears but the price of the Sears is a lot lower and it comes with a cloth Toth bag that holds all the sockets.

ecurbthims
03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I have three of those impacts in 18 volt,and you have to be carefull as the adapter will break right inside the chuck ,right where the groove is .Dewalt makes the same style unit with a 3/8" square drive ,and a half inch square drive one ,and theres also a large 300 ft lb. battery impact but its a larger tool .

Mikegyver
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Get the Milwaukee. You will be happy. I have a drill that gave me some issues and they fix it for free locally at the local dealer. Very happy with their stuff. Their 1/2 cordless impact can pull just about any nut off...think it has 450 ft-lbs.
Mike

TMlawncare
03-11-2012, 06:56 PM
When I pulled the new dewalt out of the case, it was so small. I thought there is no way this thing has the power to take off a fused on nut. Less then 1.5 seconds later the blade was in my hand. Totally shocked. My old dewalt drill was purchased in 1996 when we first started. We still use the original battery on that. Sometimes I guess you really do get what you pay for.

bigred13
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM
What do you use to hold blade while using the impact gun?

Hawkshot99
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM

Your hand. The impact puts torque on the bolt, not the blade.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I use a DeWalt battery powered impact gun.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM
thanks TM. i was trying to stay away from Lowes this weekend.

TMlawncare
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM

When using a wrench you can barely keep the blade from moving with your hand. When using a impact wrench there is really no pressure on your hand, the blade does not hardly move. They are so nice.

weeze
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM
i got the craftsman 19.2v impact wrench. it was $85 at sears and works great.

Tizzy
03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Get the Milwaukee. You will be happy. I have a drill that gave me some issues and they fix it for free locally at the local dealer. Very happy with their stuff. Their 1/2 cordless impact can pull just about any nut off...think it has 450 ft-lbs.
Mike

thats where its at. the milwaukee. its a shot little impact. 18v power 450ftlbs i use it for everything.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I use air impact gun that way I know they are tighten the same after 8th mower I do every day things takes battery power will get weak each time use it Im not going risk it

Glenn Lawn Care
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
thanks TM. i was trying to stay away from Lowes this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
thats where its at. the milwaukee. its a shot little impact. 18v power 450ftlbs i use it for everything.
Yessur. And the 5 year warranty is awesome. The compact ones are pretty good also from what i can tell.
mike

TruSomethingOrOther
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
During black Friday last year I picked up a porter cable drill / light / 0.25 inch impact (all 18 volt) for less than $60.00. Can't wait to use the impact now during blade change.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I have a Hitachi Li-ion that bust the lugs off my trucks. $250 shipped with 2 batteries. Li-ion produces loads of power and long run times.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigred13
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a Hitachi Li-ion that bust the lugs off my trucks. $250 shipped with 2 batteries. Li-ion produces loads of power and long run times.
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I hear they charge really fast too. But when they die...It goes from full power to nothing. But awesome Batt's

WHIPPLE5.7
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
From what I hear they charge really fast too. But when they die...It goes from full power to nothing. But awesome Batt's

Yes that is true. They put out the same voltage up till the cutoff kicks in. I race R/C cars with Lithium-poly packs and they are much better than the old Nimh packs. Huge power the whole way threw. Not like the old days where about half way threw the race cars would start dying off and lap times fall off. Lithium packs run 3-4X longer than Nickel types, but when they are dead thats it, no legging alittle out of them.

bigred13
03-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes that is true. They put out the same voltage up till the cutoff kicks in. I race R/C cars with Lithium-poly packs and they are much better than the old Nimh packs. Huge power the whole way threw. Not like the old days where about half way threw the race cars would start dying off and lap times fall off. Lithium packs run 3-4X longer than Nickel types, but when they are dead thats it, no legging alittle out of them.

My FT job is a Firefighter, and we demoed some rescue tools not too long ago (HURST JAWS OF LIFE) They are actually making them now where they are portable (No hydraulic lines) They run off of LI-IOn Batt and a self contained Hydraulic system. And let me tell you they are the ****! I wish all our trucks had them. Price is still really high so it will be a while before dept's start switching over too them. 1 batt is 500 bucks! And you have to have lots of spares!

ecurbthims
03-13-2012, 12:25 AM
My lithiums do not slow down at all ,they work ,then they instantly stop with no warning .They charge fast ,have tons of power ,and last real long between chargings .last summer I screwed a privacy fence together at my house ,3000 3 1/2" deck screws ,three batteries total .

Keith
03-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I've got a Bosch 1/2" cordless. One of the best tool purchases I have ever made. I rarely use my air impact any more, even when I'm at the shop.