PDA

View Full Version : What size to get, 52 inch or the 60 inch?

blake101
03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
You guys are blowing my mind, okay here is the deal I told the dealer that I wanted the Lazer Z X series 52 inch cut with the 27 hp kohler and that I would pick it up in a few days. For 600.00 more dollars I can get the 60 inch deck with a 29 kaw, bigger tires, bigger engine, bigger pumps. I currently mow with a 48 inch Turf Tracer which I plan on keeping. I thought about it and can use the 60 on every yard except may be 3, my average yard is between 10,000 - 13,000sq feet. A few smaller and a few bigger. Would the 60 inch be worth my time or is it going to be to big for my needs and cause more problems than it is worth? I won't the kaw engine and the big tires but not sure if it would cause more head aches. Need input.....

White Gardens
03-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Only you can answer that question yourself.

nepatsfan
03-11-2012, 01:52 PM
if you are keeping the turf tracer, for 600 bucks more I would upgrade to the better engine, bigger pumps and bigger deck. When you would have used the 52 you break out the 48.

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I'd save the $600.

there isn't that much of a diff between a 52" and a 60" deck.

but on the flip side there isn't much diff between the 48" you have and a 52" deck. more of a diff going from a 48" to a 60".

like one said. only you can decide that.

944own
03-11-2012, 02:43 PM
The 52 has smaller tires, smaller frame, and smaller pumps. Go for the 60 and dont look back thats what I did and at first thought I should have got the 52 but have been real happy with the 60.

lawnpropm
03-11-2012, 03:05 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. I have a 48 and a 36 and do mostly residential and a few small commercial. There are some times I wish I had a 60. In my opinion a 48 and a 52 there's not much difference but a 60 is a bigger/better jump. $600 you will make that back on the time u save mowing and the amount of yards you can knock out in a days time. 10,000k ft2 properties and up I say go for it and grow into it.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
The 52 has smaller tires, smaller frame, and smaller pumps. Go for the 60 and dont look back thats what I did and at first thought I should have got the 52 but have been real happy with the 60.

bigger isn't always better and sometimes a waste of money.

I do just fine with my 52" grandstand which has like a 19hp engine.

I certainly don't need a bigger frame, tires or engine. that thing has NEVER given me problems.

he probably is smarter to go with the 60 for the sole fact that he has a 48" mower already. not so much because it has bigger tires, frame and pumps.

lawnpropm
03-11-2012, 04:11 PM

I certainly don't need a bigger frame, tires or engine. that thing has NEVER given me problems.

he probably is smarter to go with the 60 for the sole fact that he has a 48" mower already. not so much because it has bigger tires, frame and pumps.
Right he already has a 48 so adding a 52 is almost pointless unless you just refuse to run a 60 or properties have a ton of obstacles
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawkshot99
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM

You are comparing much different machines as well. Your machine ways much less, meaning you will not have the impact on the ground.

As for which machine to get...I would get the 60" considering you already have a 48" for the narrower gated areas. I would only do it enough if you would be able to take advantage of the extra size. If it will have to sit on the trailer most of the time then that is no good.

blake101
03-11-2012, 06:46 PM
The main reason for getting a new mower is that my hands are killing me, my arthritis is really starting to act up, and my hand will hurt for days when I mow. I don't mind using it, just can't use it everyday all day. That is why I won't a Z, to give my hands and back a break. There really isn't much difference between a 52 and a 48, but when you go to a 60 it is. Still trying to decide.

edensgate7
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
for the size yards you are doing the 52 will do just fine. A 60 is overkill till you get more accounts that are 1/2 acre or more. It is too much weight and too much size for the area and will be harder to not damage the turf on turns and harder to not compact the soil with the heavier machine. Get a 52 and do your PM and you will be fine.

I MOW ALONE
03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
get the 60 it will rut less than the 52 wider tires distibutes the weight. and you will have less trimming because of the overhang on trim side. plus $600 bigger engine and pumps and more ground speed.

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
for the size yards you are doing the 52 will do just fine. A 60 is overkill till you get more accounts that are 1/2 acre or more. It is too much weight and too much size for the area and will be harder to not damage the turf on turns and harder to not compact the soil with the heavier machine. Get a 52 and do your PM and you will be fine.

I agree with the others. since he already owns a 48" there's no reason to upgrade a measly 4 inches.

nepatsfan
03-11-2012, 09:35 PM

too much weight for what? Do the smaller properties know that the 60" weighs more? If the person buys their neighbors lot too does the weight become more manageable for the property? How does a 1/4 acre property have trouble handling the weight but the 1 acre property is able to handle it? If you do two neighbors side by side each 8k square feet, does the weight become more managable for the turf since there is two side by side or is it still two heavy because it is being billed to two different people? I just want to understand.....so the soil on a smaller property is more likely to compact than on a larger property? Trying to learn here.:waving:

Ridin' Green
03-11-2012, 10:48 PM
too much weight for what? Do the smaller properties know that the 60" weighs more? If the person buys their neighbors lot too does the weight become more manageable for the property? How does a 1/4 acre property have trouble handling the weight but the 1 acre property is able to handle it? If you do two neighbors side by side each 8k square feet, does the weight become more managable for the turf since there is two side by side or is it still two heavy because it is being billed to two different people? I just want to understand.....so the soil on a smaller property is more likely to compact than on a larger property? Trying to learn here.:waving:

Trying to learn?:nono:

More like trying to educate, and rightly so.:usflag:

OP:

For the size places you have, I say get the 60". You will soon find that it will go anywhere you need to on them without any problems (short of a too small gate). I run my 60" in places that many here would say should be cut with a 21" WB. So what? I'm already on it, and a coupl;e passes and I'm done and on to other things. Once you get the hang of the Z, you won't be tearing up anyone's yard either.

Razorblades
03-11-2012, 11:07 PM
There have been some good points made by the responders, especially the last two.

If you are going to keep using the 48" also, I would definely go with the 60". Like someone previously said, the features that the 60" mower has, would make it worth the extra money for me. Plus, the added productivity of the 60" deck compared to the 48" you're using or the 52" deck.

Mondragon Lawn Serv
03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
i would recommend a 60 personally. You currently have a 48 which should cover your medium terrain since it's not to far from a 52. Of course it's a not a ZTR but not to far from a good productive mower. We bought a 52 first and then a 48 ZTR and really truthfully i wish i would of gone all 60 inch from the start with. Personally 48 and 52 is a lil to small for ztr. You should look at your properties and make a decision on what your needs are and to where that decision will let you expand as well

nepatsfan
03-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Trying to learn?:nono:

More like trying to educate, and rightly so.:usflag:

OP:

For the size places you have, I say get the 60". You will soon find that it will go anywhere you need to on them without any problems (short of a too small gate). I run my 60" in places that many here would say should be cut with a 21" WB. So what? I'm already on it, and a coupl;e passes and I'm done and on to other things. Once you get the hang of the Z, you won't be tearing up anyone's yard either.

That's another thing....If you are gonna tear up turf on turns with a 60 you are going to do it with a 52. Once you get the hang of turning you won't tear up the turf.

Richard Martin
03-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Get the 60. You'll never use the 48 again unless the 60 breaks. I put my 60 everywhere that the deck will fit.

blake101
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Get the 60. You'll never use the 48 again unless the 60 breaks. I put my 60 everywhere that the deck will fit.

Have you found that it increases your trim time any, I was thinking that it would, but it would be made back with the bigger size deck size. So do you use it on your small, small size yards also? When I look at the 52 and the 60 side by side it looks like a monster?

TLS
03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Get the 60.

Not for the size or weight....but for what else you get.

Also, the longer the blade, the better the cut.

Richard Martin
03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Have you found that it increases your trim time any, I was thinking that it would, but it would be made back with the bigger size deck size. So do you use it on your small, small size yards also? When I look at the 52 and the 60 side by side it looks like a monster?

I can actually get closer to inside corners with my Dixie than I can with my 36" Ferris. I use it on every lawn that it will fit on. The smallest lawn I ever used it on was a patch of grass 12 feet by about 60 feet. 3 passes and I was done.

Bear in mind though that I've modified my mower. I've done everything from working on the baffles under the deck to relocating the battery for better weight distribution. You'd be surprised at how the uneven weight is from one side of a mower to the other.

TLS
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
The 60" Lazer will have a better trim offset (distance from tire sidewall to trim edge of deck then the 52" Lazer. This allows you to circle a tree ring and not have the tire in the mulch.

rob7233
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
The OP stated that the lawns are 10 -13K, in which you can be much more efficient with the 60". Others made the point you already have a 48 and the 52 is just slightly larger. No real gains there. Most LCO's are doing lawns that are about 2-4K of lawn in which the 60" is probably not the best choice.

If you were starting fresh and doing smaller lawns, then a 36 & 52" is a great combo but for your particular needs and the money involved, the 60" is the clear choice. Besides, the 29 Kaw is a great engine for that size mower on a Lazer Z.

Also, I would likely bet that most that have never used a 60" here, are generally against it and would say go with the 52". Think about it.

hammmerhead
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Do you do any bagging or intend to? A 60" deck and a bagger is too wide for me. A 50, 51,52" is the perfect deck size unless your average yards are 1+ acres. But like someone already said, you have to make this choice.

DieselHolic
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
60" dont think twice. if a 60 wont fit thru a gate neither will a 52, if a 60 scalps so will a 52. you'll be much faster and if you go 52 you'll wish you'd gone bigger come summer

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM

I personally put my 52" mower on any yard it will fit. even if I end up making only a pass or 2.

I have some yards where I spend more time unloading and loading it than I spending cutting grass.

some of this is due to the way I load my trailer. I have to unload the 52" to get to the smaller mowers anyway.

edensgate7
03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
In response to the questions posed, I hope there isn't a sarcasm that I am getting because I guess I didn't think I needed to educate how a bigger mower compacts a yard more than a smaller mower.Everybody on here is saying 60 inch is best for a small yard because you make fewer passes and can get the job done more quickly. Yes this is true and you also compact the soil by doing this and that is an un-seen damage that I think few companies even think of until they start seeing the turf quality decrease for apparently no reason. Compaction is a really big issue when one is concerned about top-quality turf. Lets take a few givens so we all are on the same page with this discussion from the OP.

1. the 52" and 60" mowers are the same make and use the same frame between a 52 and a 60. The tires are different sized but exert the same psi on the ground when weight of the different machines is taken into account.

2. Every effort is made to vary the pattern as many times as possible to prevent going over the same tracks twice while taking full-cut passes.

3. These 10-15000k properties are all the perfect scenario of obstacle free and square with only house and drive.

4. You can turn and maneuver a 52" mower without tearing up turf much easier than with a 60".

5. Each time the tires go over the same piece of soil it compacts it.

I think we can all agree that the above conditions rarely exist in # 2 and # 3 but I am trying to give a best case scenario. As the conditions get worse with more abstacles and narrower dimensions with number 2 and 3 there is an obvious loss in productivity and ability to vary the pattern with a big machine so I am just adressing the perfect world scenario.

There is more compaction on a small yard with a larger mower because the ability to vary the pattern that the bigger mower tires cross is less than with a small mower on a smaller tires unless you don't take full passes which then defeats the purpose of using the larger mower.

I will try to not get too technical here but in my soil physics class at Purdue we used what is call a surface nuclear gauge as well as an instrument called a penetrometer. These instruments measure the compaction of the soil in different situations. We used the instruments on a lab experiment to see the extremes of compaction and tested an area where mowers did their trim pass (the strip along the edge where you do all the turns and cleanup passes from your cross-cuts). Then we tested areas out in the middle of the property where the pattern is able to be varied more by going at different angles.I don't remember the exact percentages but I remember that it was way more compacted at the edges than out in the middle. Pretty simple common sense right?

So, lets say that a property is perfectly square at 135 ft by 135 ft no obstacles but the house and drive. Take out the house, some foundation landscaping and a driveway. If we go with 15000 sq ft of turf, that is 7500 in front and back of house. If one varies a pattern across these areas and goes a different direction you will start going over the same tracks with a bigger tire and a bigger machine than with a smaller tire and a smaller machine if you take full passes through the middle of the property because the extra deck size will limit how you can efficiently turn and maneuver. This moves the conditions that are on the edge of the yard in the trim pass to the middle of the yard quicker with a bigger tire and bigger machine because of the lack of available varied turning area if full passes are taken.

So, I ask you guys that take a few passes on a small yard with a large machine, how many times can you go over that yard and take a full deck-width cut without going in the same tracks? 2 times? 3 times? more?. How many more times would a smaller machine go over that same area before going in the same tracks? I would say that you will get at least 1-2 more passes over a yard with a smaller mower before being forced to repeat a pattern.(please don't take this as sarcasm....I am just hoping that people stop and think for a second).

There is a reason that quality turf doesn't always get mowed with the biggest machine that one can get to fit in the area to be mowed. You don't see high end quality golf courses mowing their greens with a 60 " reel mower that gets it done in 3 passes because it gets it done faster. They usually use walk-behind greens mowers because that is the best machine for the area causing the least amount of compaction. Same principle applies in the situations we are talking about here.

Sorry this is so long but I am trying to give a complete answer to those who would listen and are trying to seriously understand the science and physics behind compaction issues.

TLS
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Everything else being equal...

A 60" Lazer is 79lbs heavier than a 52" Lazer.

A 60" Lazer has 2.5" wider tire in the rears and 1.5" wider tire in the fronts.

Someone can do the PSI calculations, but the 60" will have less PSI on the turf.

Richard Martin
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Everything else being equal...

A 60" Lazer is 79lbs heavier than a 52" Lazer.

A 60" Lazer has 2.5" wider tire in the rears and 1.5" wider tire in the fronts.

Someone can do the PSI calculations, but the 60" will have less PSI on the turf.

My 60" Dixie is 30 pounds heavier than a 52" Lazer Z E-Series. And the tires aren't even a real competition. My rears are 25X12.00-9 VLP (very low pressure). I guarantee there is less compaction with my mower. My Dixie has a significantly larger footprint.

What our college educated peer forgot to take into account is that some of the engineers of these mowers also went to college.

TLS
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I miss my old Dixie's flotation tires! Didn't need a suspension seat with that mower!

Also didn't track dry mud into the street after mowing a wet lawn!

blake101
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
The 60" Lazer will have a better trim offset (distance from tire sidewall to trim edge of deck then the 52" Lazer. This allows you to circle a tree ring and not have the tire in the mulch.

That was one thing that caught my eye when I went to the dealer, there is no trim edge on the 52. I need a hang over.

blake101
03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
The OP stated that the lawns are 10 -13K, in which you can be much more efficient with the 60". Others made the point you already have a 48 and the 52 is just slightly larger. No real gains there. Most LCO's are doing lawns that are about 2-4K of lawn in which the 60" is probably not the best choice.

If you were starting fresh and doing smaller lawns, then a 36 & 52" is a great combo but for your particular needs and the money involved, the 60" is the clear choice. Besides, the 29 Kaw is a great engine for that size mower on a Lazer Z.

Also, I would likely bet that most that have never used a 60" here, are generally against it and would say go with the 52". Think about it.

I think you are right, most people have never used a 60, I used a 60 front runner years ago on commercial property but never on a residential property.

Ridin' Green
03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Another thing to consider is that many of these ZTR's use the same frame for a 52", 54" or 60" deck, meaning that the wheels/tires are the same width apart, even if the smaller decked machine has slightly narrower tires (which leads to more compaction due to higher PSI contact pressure since most brands are within a few pounds of each other deck vs deck). That means that the larger decked machine makes less passes to get the job done, less passes of each tire upon the turf for each mowing, and less chances to compact the soil each time on the property.

Proper tire pressures do more to alleviate compaction than machine size/weight differences. Tires set low for a good ride can cause the tire to run most of its weight at the two outer edges which leads to higher PSI in those ares. The same can be said for tires that are inflated too much, which transfers most of the weight to a small contact area in the center of the tire. Ideally, the tire should spread its weight out over the entire tread area, which is a good reason to follow the op's manuals recommendations for tire inflation. The engineers who design these machines also went to college, and you can bet that all of these things are taken into consideration when they choose the tire size/machine weight/inflation #'s.

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
In response to the questions posed, I hope there isn't a sarcasm that I am getting because I guess I didn't think I needed to educate how a bigger mower compacts a yard more than a smaller mower.Everybody on here is saying 60 inch is best for a small yard because you make fewer passes and can get the job done more quickly. Yes this is true and you also compact the soil by doing this and that is an un-seen damage that I think few companies even think of until they start seeing the turf quality decrease for apparently no reason. Compaction is a really big issue when one is concerned about top-quality turf. Lets take a few givens so we all are on the same page with this discussion from the OP.

don't mistand my advice.

my advice is to get the 60" because you already own a 48" mower. if your gonna spend that kind of money you should get more than a 4" increase.

I also was letting you know I personally put the largest mower I can on the property. not so much for speed as it is convenience. both because of loading and unloading and walking behind a mower or riding on one.

yes compaction is an issue over looked but we do fertilize properly and aerate once a season.

Ridin' Green
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
That was one thing that caught my eye when I went to the dealer, there is no trim edge on the 52. I need a hang over.

Have you tried drinking to excess?
Sorry, couldn't resist.:laugh:

blake101
03-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Have you tried drinking to excess?
Sorry, couldn't resist.:laugh:

I knew I was going to get some feedback on that one.:drinkup:

Ridin' Green
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I knew I was going to get some feedback on that one.:drinkup:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
It's all good!

blake101
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
don't mistand my advice.

my advice is to get the 60" because you already own a 48" mower. if your gonna spend that kind of money you should get more than a 4" increase.

I also was letting you know I personally put the largest mower I can on the property. not so much for speed as it is convenience. both because of loading and unloading and walking behind a mower or riding on one.

yes compaction is an issue over looked but we do fertilize properly and aerate once a season.

Here in Mississippi there are very few people who take pride in there yards, most are just a yard full of weeds, and they just won't it knocked down.

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Here in Mississippi there are very few people who take pride in there yards, most are just a yard full of weeds, and they just won't it knocked down.

well then compaction isn't an issue.

blake101
03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
well then compaction isn't an issue.

That is the last thing most people are worried about around here. Although I do have one customer that is pickie.

soloscaperman
03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
People keep saying a certain size lawn then go with a 52, well lets say you have 80+ account a week. You have to factor not just the size of the lawn but how many you do. I have a 52 deck and most my lawns are 1/2 acre and I only do about 25-30 accounts. When I get large size lawns or more accounts then I will get a 60 inch.

Like I said I used my 52" Exmark Lazer Z27HP Kohler against my friends large Scag 61" with the 35HP Piggs Straton and I only shaved 1-5 mins on each lawn but that does add up if you do a lot of lawns!

nepatsfan
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
In response to the questions posed, I hope there isn't a sarcasm that I am getting because I guess I didn't think I needed to educate how a bigger mower compacts a yard more than a smaller mower.Everybody on here is saying 60 inch is best for a small yard because you make fewer passes and can get the job done more quickly. Yes this is true and you also compact the soil by doing this and that is an un-seen damage that I think few companies even think of until they start seeing the turf quality decrease for apparently no reason. Compaction is a really big issue when one is concerned about top-quality turf. Lets take a few givens so we all are on the same page with this discussion from the OP.Ok...so why does it matter if it is 8k square feet or 20k square feet, you said for smaller lawns more compaction....THE SOIL DOES NOT KNOW THE SQUARE FOOTAGE AROUND IT

1. the 52" and 60" mowers are the same make and use the same frame between a 52 and a 60. The tires are different sized but exert the same psi on the ground when weight of the different machines is taken into account.
different size tires...but that wasn't what I was challenging
2. Every effort is made to vary the pattern as many times as possible to prevent going over the same tracks twice while taking full-cut passes.
52 vs 60....I might buy 21 or 36 vs. 60
3. These 10-15000k properties are all the perfect scenario of obstacle free and square with only house and drive.
deck sticks out further on a 60 BETTER for obstacles
4. You can turn and maneuver a 52" mower without tearing up turf much easier than with a 60".
Disagree, if you know how to operate you should be able to make turns with either mower without tearing turf

5. Each time the tires go over the same piece of soil it compacts it.
No kidding....that goes for any mower, what's your point? you have to change directions wherever possible and should aerate lawns at least once a year for a good lawn.

I think we can all agree that the above conditions rarely exist in # 2 and # 3 but I am trying to give a best case scenario. As the conditions get worse with more abstacles and narrower dimensions with number 2 and 3 there is an obvious loss in productivity and ability to vary the pattern with a big machine so I am just adressing the perfect world scenario.

There is more compaction on a small yard with a larger mower because the ability to vary the pattern that the bigger mower tires cross is less than with a small mower on a smaller tires unless you don't take full passes which then defeats the purpose of using the larger mower.
Again this is 52 vs 60 I would argue that the larger tires would actually give you a larger footprint....in any case it's a marginal difference that engineers could discuss but that could go either way

I will try to not get too technical here but in my soil physics class at Purdue we used what is call a surface nuclear gauge as well as an instrument called a penetrometer. These instruments measure the compaction of the soil in different situations. We used the instruments on a lab experiment to see the extremes of compaction and tested an area where mowers did their trim pass (the strip along the edge where you do all the turns and cleanup passes from your cross-cuts). Then we tested areas out in the middle of the property where the pattern is able to be varied more by going at different angles.I don't remember the exact percentages but I remember that it was way more compacted at the edges than out in the middle. Pretty simple common sense right?
So what does the 52 vs the 60 have to do with that. Take both mowers and perform your test. Again the slightly more weight on a machine with a larger tire or even the same size tire would be a marginal difference and could go either way

So, lets say that a property is perfectly square at 135 ft by 135 ft no obstacles but the house and drive. Take out the house, some foundation landscaping and a driveway. If we go with 15000 sq ft of turf, that is 7500 in front and back of house. If one varies a pattern across these areas and goes a different direction you will start going over the same tracks with a bigger tire and a bigger machine than with a smaller tire and a smaller machine if you take full passes through the middle of the property because the extra deck size will limit how you can efficiently turn and maneuver. This moves the conditions that are on the edge of the yard in the trim pass to the middle of the yard quicker with a bigger tire and bigger machine because of the lack of available varied turning area if full passes are taken.
Again the larger footprint tire compacts less because the p.s.i will go down with the larger surface are

So, I ask you guys that take a few passes on a small yard with a large machine, how many times can you go over that yard and take a full deck-width cut without going in the same tracks? 2 times? 3 times? more?. How many more times would a smaller machine go over that same area before going in the same tracks? I would say that you will get at least 1-2 more passes over a yard with a smaller mower before being forced to repeat a pattern.(please don't take this as sarcasm....I am just hoping that people stop and think for a second).
The wider the cut...the less passes....if you saved two passes on the yard that is 4 whole strips of compaction that you saved, but again this is 52 vs 60 not 21 vs 60
There is a reason that quality turf doesn't always get mowed with the biggest machine that one can get to fit in the area to be mowed. You don't see high end quality golf courses mowing their greens with a 60 " reel mower that gets it done in 3 passes because it gets it done faster. They usually use walk-behind greens mowers because that is the best machine for the area causing the least amount of compaction. Same principle applies in the situations we are talking about here.
Greens are sloping and you dont want to scalp cutting at half inch...what do you think they cut the rough or fairways with? Depends on your type of grass but here it is bent grass for fairways and greens and fescue/bluegrass/rye rough and other grass areas....same grass that would be on residential yards or commercial grass for that matter, only thing here with bentgrass is golf courses that I have ever seen. Everything but the greens gets 72 plus. I golf a lot and I always check out the equipment.
Sorry this is so long but I am trying to give a complete answer to those who would listen and are trying to seriously understand the science and physics behind compaction issues.

Stay in school....next semester you may learn about aerating and you can come back with more advice:waving:

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
he makes EXCELLENT points......

the ones I like best.....

compaction happens the same on small, medium and large yards. very true. this is why aeration is done.

maneuvering a 52" is easier than a 60", how so? I hear all too often people, mostly clients complaining about larger mowers tearing up the turf. it's NOT the mower it IS the operator. operated properly ANY mower can be used without tearing up the turf.

edensgate7
03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one guys. I'm not going to get into a back and forth arguement over this cause it would take the thread waaaay off course. The evidence I have is scientifically backed along with 16 yrs personal experience so each to their own way. The answer to using any large mower in a small area and keeping any turf healthy is consistent aeration along with other proper cultural practices which we ALL agree on. So, I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the lively discussion:)

lifetree
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I'd save the $600.

there isn't that much of a diff between a 52" and a 60" deck.

but on the flip side there isn't much diff between the 48" you have and a 52" deck. more of a diff going from a 48" to a 60".

like one said. only you can decide that.

I agree with this assessment !!

nepatsfan
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one guys. I'm not going to get into a back and forth arguement over this cause it would take the thread waaaay off course. The evidence I have is scientifically backed along with 16 yrs personal experience so each to their own way. The answer to using any large mower in a small area and keeping any turf healthy is consistent aeration along with other proper cultural practices which we ALL agree on. So, I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the lively discussion:)

Again...we are talking about a 52 vs. a 60. In order to provide your scientific evidence you need to know the weight and tire size of each machine, the size of the property, the number of passes...etc. your statement might be true but I would be willing to bet between a 52 and 60 there is a very marginal difference.

doublesharp
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I'd get the 60" and not look back.

edensgate7
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Good enough nepats. Have a good season!

maelawncare
03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I did the math last year as I have a 54" and a 60" I mowed the same yards with the opposite mower a few times and averaged out the time wasted/saved.

If I would have went with a 60" instead of a 54" for the other mower I would of saved $5,000 last year.

blake101
03-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Well made it back home with the mower, a 60 inch that is, and you know what, after using it on my yard I think I made the right decision. That thing is great. I believe I will be very happy with my decision. Thanks for all the commits from everyone. Everyone was a great help...

lifetree
03-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Well made it back home with the mower, a 60 inch that is, and you know what, after using it on my yard I think I made the right decision. That thing is great. I believe I will be very happy with my decision. ...

Congratulations !!

Kelly's Landscaping
03-14-2012, 11:41 PM
We own a lazer 44 a lazer 52 and a lazer 60 when we bought the 52 we listened to the guys here. We convinced our selves it will fit in small lawns better while that may be technically true in practice you almost never have a area that the 52 will fit but the 60 wont. I can remember when our 52 blew its hydraulics and my partner got to take my 60 for a few days to finish his list. I still have the text messages saved where he states as senior partner I should have the newer stuff and let him have the older 60. My reasons for keeping that will be to take it out of context and apply it to trucks later but the point he was making was his production was so much higher he couldn't help but notice. What's 8 inches in extra deck about 5 extra lawn cuts a day. We will never buy another 52 again but I can see 72s in our future.

944own
03-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Where is the pics
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Well made it back home with the mower, a 60 inch that is, and you know what, after using it on my yard I think I made the right decision. That thing is great. I believe I will be very happy with my decision. Thanks for all the commits from everyone. Everyone was a great help...

Good choice...your lawns are gonna be like concrete with the 60 vs. the 52:rolleyes:

jkingrph
03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Homeowner here. I puchased a 52" Scag about 6 years ago. Had my storage shed had wider doors, I would have gone the 60" route. As it is I have double 36"doors, 72" total, less about 4", so really about 68", in which the mower has to to go in and out of for storage. I usually back it in for easy exit and it makes it easier to get around when it is in the shed.

If I had wider doors I would have gone the 60" deck in a heartbeat, more overhang makes it easier to trim around things than the narrower, barely wider than frame width deck, I know because I tried one. I just did not want to risk damageing the mower or door with not enough clearance on the sides of the door.

My suggestion is if you have room, and access to properties you serve allows the larger deck, get it.

yardguy28
03-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Good choice...your lawns are gonna be like concrete with the 60 vs. the 52:rolleyes:

your ridiculous.

a 60" isn't gonna compact the soil any more than a 52" would.

if people were truly concerned about compaction everyone including LCO's would strictly be using 21 inchers. there are far worse things for a lawn than compaction any way.

nepatsfan
03-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Stay in school....next semester you may learn about aerating and you can come back with more advice:waving:

he makes EXCELLENT points......

the ones I like best.....

compaction happens the same on small, medium and large yards. very true. this is why aeration is done.

maneuvering a 52" is easier than a 60", how so? I hear all too often people, mostly clients complaining about larger mowers tearing up the turf. it's NOT the mower it IS the operator. operated properly ANY mower can be used without tearing up the turf.

Again...we are talking about a 52 vs. a 60. In order to provide your scientific evidence you need to know the weight and tire size of each machine, the size of the property, the number of passes...etc. your statement might be true but I would be willing to bet between a 52 and 60 there is a very marginal difference.

your ridiculous.

a 60" isn't gonna compact the soil any more than a 52" would.

if people were truly concerned about compaction everyone including LCO's would strictly be using 21 inchers. there are far worse things for a lawn than compaction any way.

Ummmmm...maybe some sarcasm there..it's why I put the eye roll in.

blake101
03-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Here they are...

Grass Shark
03-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey congrats on the mower that is nice. How much did you pay before tax? and is it a 2011 or 12. Im in the market for one and curious. thanks

blake101
03-18-2012, 02:34 PM
9700 out the door 2011

jdlynch
04-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe that nepatsfan was making the analogy that the lawns will look as "smooth" as concrete as in a good uniform cut. I don't believe he was making a reference to soil compaction.

sprinter
04-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe that nepatsfan was making the analogy that the lawns will look as "smooth" as concrete as in a good uniform cut. I don't believe he was making a reference to soil compaction.
I do, but he was being sarcastic, thus the ":rolleyes:". I did have to think about it, though:) Actually, I would think that if anything, it would be easier to vary the patterns with a 60" although if the tire-to-tire distance is the same, any difference is probably minimal.

I've been going around about the same issue for my new-to-be Gravely. This thread helped me decide for a 60". I was mostly concerned about maneuverability and appearance on my smaller yards, but I think the 60 is going to be fine, and clearance is not much of an issue for me.