PDA

View Full Version : Ferris spindles

bigred13
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Just bought a Ferris IS500z my dealer instructed me to make sure and grease my spindles everytime I mow, he stated that only Ferris uses a NON-sealed unit for spindles. I asked him how many hours I should use for an interval for greasing? He stated to check my owners manual......well I checked it and it only states where to grease not how often. Any help would be great. I only mow about 8 hours total a week. Thanks

pugs
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Look at the page that says maintenance schedule. Its right there.

mattfromNY
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Grease is cheap and it only takes about 2 minutes to grease the entire machine. We scrape mower decks every day, check things over, check oil and grease machines every day. Really only takes a couple minutes, might just save you a bunch of down time and headaches.

bigred13
03-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Look at the page that says maintenance schedule. Its right there.

i read the manual 3 times....didnt see it. Not even is SPANISH! LOL

Greyst1
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I run the IS3100Z and i grease weekly. I only run 2 days a week tho, if u were to run 3 days a week i would grease twice a week.

Dakota Dog
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Right in your operators manual on page 23 RIDER MAINTENANCE
Every 100 Hours or Annually*
Clean Deck & Check / Replace Mower Blades
Lubricate Rider & Mower**
Clean Battery & Cables
Check Tire Pressure
Check Hydraulic Oil**

* Whichever comes first
** More often in hot (over 85 degrees F) weather or dusty operating conditions

Use a high temp lithium grease in the spindles do not use a cheap grease or else you will still be replacing spindle. The cheap grease will liquefy and do no good. Note a spindle runs an average 85 - 90 degrees hotter the air temp.

Greyst1
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Lithium is cheap grease, you need to use a petroleum based grease
Posted via Mobile Device

pugs
03-13-2012, 10:57 PM
i read the manual 3 times....didnt see it. Not even is SPANISH! LOL

Dakota Dog found it pretty easily. Maybe 4th time is the charm.

bigred13
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
I will have to check it out later when I get home. If I find I will smack myself in the forehead. On another note, Every 100hr's really? Seems like a little much. 50 hrs seems like a lot though to me.

jkingrph
03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Lithium is cheap grease, you need to use a petroleum based grease
Posted via Mobile Device

Grease is a soap that has been emulsified with an oil

The soap is most often lithium stearate, and the oil is petroleum.

What do you mean, lithium is cheap??

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Grease_(lubricant)

doyles
03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
we have 3100 ztr with the hurcules spindles and we grease ever day.
like mentioned earlier greasa is cheap.

MSTmarc
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Most decks that take grease do not grease the bearing in the spindles. The grease is used to keep the spindles cool. There are still some mowers out there that need the grease for the bearings. I did not think Ferris used none sealed bearings any more, I would have to check on it, but always follow what the manual says when it comes to this. Also spend a few extra bucks and get hi-temp grease, the spindles spin very fast and make a lot of heat.

bigred13
03-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Most decks that take grease do not grease the bearing in the spindles. The grease is used to keep the spindles cool. There are still some mowers out there that need the grease for the bearings. I did not think Ferris used none sealed bearings any more, I would have to check on it, but always follow what the manual says when it comes to this. Also spend a few extra bucks and get hi-temp grease, the spindles spin very fast and make a lot of heat.

According to my dealer, ferris spindles do grease the bearings.

Greyst1
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Grease is a soap that has been emulsified with an oil

The soap is most often lithium stearate, and the oil is petroleum.

What do you mean, lithium is cheap??

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Grease_(lubricant)

Ok, here is what i know about grease. Lithium based grease is made from soap which to me doesn't lubricate nor hold up as well in the elements (especially going from dry to wet to dry). A petro based grease is an oil based product which is a far superior lubricant. We all know oil and water separate.

Take lithium grease in one hand and oil based grease on the other hand and rub your fingers together and report back. The proof is in the pudding, put them side by side and do a time study on it.

I never buy lithium based grease because of it lesser lubricant properties. Oil based grease is a little tougher to find but they are out there. TSC sells oil based grease under Travelers for 2.90 a tube.

Southernlandscape343
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a 2007 32" Ferris Hydrocut, and I grease my spindles frequently.
Grease reduces friction, friction causes heat, which then leads to further problems. Friction also reduces the actual power output.

I have run lithium grease and regular grease and can not really tell a difference. That's just me though.

Speaking of grease, remember to grease your trailer's wheel barrings!

Greyst1
03-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Grease reduces friction, friction causes heat, which then leads to further problems. Friction also reduces the actual power output.

I have run lithium grease and regular grease and can not really tell a difference. That's just me though.

x2 on the trailer bearings. Cost me over 700 last year for a bearing blowout. My ex trailer dealer is a real big clown!

bigred13
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Greased my trailer last weekend!

Southernlandscape343
03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
x2 on the trailer bearings. Cost me over 700 last year for a bearing blowout. My ex trailer dealer is a real big clown!

Ouch! Yeah little maintenance things can cause a huge problem, and an even bigger check.

MSTmarc
03-16-2012, 10:31 AM
I checked the parts breakdown on this Ferris machine and pulled the OEM spindle off my shelf and I am sorry to say the bearings are sealed. I made a phone call to the OEM and they are sealed. Without getting into heave detail the spindles are not setup properly to grease the upper bearing.

hartje123
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
The 500z & 1500z spindle brgs are sealed on one side and open on inside to allow grease to enter brg. Spindles have grease breeders on so the seals will not blow. Great spindles on all ferrris mowers just keep them greased

bigred13
03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I checked the parts breakdown on this Ferris machine and pulled the OEM spindle off my shelf and I am sorry to say the bearings are sealed. I made a phone call to the OEM and they are sealed. Without getting into heave detail the spindles are not setup properly to grease the upper bearing.

You went to a lot of trouble. Thank you

MSTmarc
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Was not that hard I have the same machine on my floor just in a different color.

bigred13
03-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I didnt know Ferris came in any color other than red? So far I really like mine. I have only put 8 hours on it though!

Potomac Lawns Inc.
03-17-2012, 04:21 PM
One of my machines the 3100 is 6 years old, Installed 1 new spindle last year. Not bad I guess. When I ran John Deere's never had to replace one though.