PDA

View Full Version : 52" Walker GHS, Gas or Diesel?

KrayzKajun
03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
ok fellas, i wanna here from the walker owners.
I have pretty much made up my mind to get a walker at the end of the month.

Im looking at a MD w/ 20hp kubota diesel and a MT w/ 26hp Kholer EFI, both with 52" GHS deck.

I was qouted $15,567 out the door for the diesel and right at $13k for the gas engine. is the diesel really worth the extra $2500.

The weight difference is about 225pnds between the two, both with 10bushel hoppers.

for you fellas that run the gas engines, is the 26hp kholer enough power to run say a 62" side discharge also?

i run a 46" Exmark Lazer z w/ 19hp Kaw now. looking for something to compliment it. ive even consided a 48" GHS.
opinions??

johnnyusa
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
diesel would be my choice even over the 31hp. especially in louisiana where ground is mostly flat. good luck with walker i love em and so do my customers.

KS_Grasscutter
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM
That $2500 could go a long way towards buying something else too. That being said, I've never ran a diesel. I do have a MT26EFI with a 48" GHS deck, and last time I calculated I used 0.8 gallons of gas per hour.

electric
03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Diesel all day everyday over the 26efi. No matter what anyone says you will always have less problems with the diesel over the efi. No other engine walker offers will compare to the toughness of the kubota engine! I have owned 26, on flat ground the diesel rocks the 26. The 26 would be my second choice. Stay far away from the mtl31efi as they have been having so many problems with 2011 models and on.

american dream
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I just got a 48 GHS 23hp and love it has handled everything I have thrown at it.

electric
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
My buddy has a 23, also a great machine as with the diesel your not at the mercy of the dealer with the ECM fault codes and problems. I have to agree there with the 23.
Choice (1) Diesel, choice (2) mt23, choice (3) mt26efi
the one nice benefit with the 26 is .99 per hour fuel usage that's why there so popular.

KrayzKajun
03-11-2012, 09:18 PM
That $2500 could go a long way towards buying something else too. That being said, I've never ran a diesel. I do have a MT26EFI with a 48" GHS deck, and last time I calculated I used 0.8 gallons of gas per hour.

I figure im not on a yard long enough to reap the benefits of a diesel. average yard is 20mins mowing with my lazer z.

True. that $2500 could buy a whole new set of trimmers and blowers, new racks for the enclosed trailer,

electric
03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Only thing that scared me a bit, about two months ago there were two guys on here going back and forth stating the problems with brand new 26 models. Both kept blowing front seals out. Finally the one guy mentioned what he did was replace the old cap in the winter with a custom breather cap. The dealer said there was excessive crankcase presure caused from a pinched breather hose and dirty cooling fins! Both guys machines were brand new!

electric
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Met to say "oil cap" not old cap, lol.

noahb195
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Go big or go home. If you dont think you need the diesel then dont get it. Dont second guess yourself. Get what you need

Florida Gardener
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Do you guys charge more to use a walker vs another mower on a property??
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
03-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I own a 26 efi and it has +2000 hours on it, it was built in 2000. I would say that if you are working all day with the machine that the water cooled diesel is for you. The 26 efi is an awesome motor to be sure and I personally will buy another one. If you are not on it 5 days a week and 8 hours a day a 26 will turn all decks and save you a bunch in gas. As stated above its the choice between the two but it has to be you choosing because of the way you mow. I know it gets hot down there and a diesel makes more heat but has the cooling system. I have never got my 26 overheated but I don't run it all day in the 90 degree weather. Good Luck on your choice. Walker is a great machine.

psdnate
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm also thinking about getting a walker. I'm thinking the 26 efi with a 48" deck. How do they do on hills? I have some yards with some small hills and don't want to be tearing up the turf all the time. I have a jd z920a and have trouble at times getting traction. If I get a walker I'm getting rid of the jd so the walker would be my only mower.

bamaturf
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
i run the 26efi w/ 48ghs & 56sd, mower has about 1800hrs. i like the 26 because of lower
fuel use and no choke needed. on my next walker ill most likely go w/ another 26, would
like a diesel but cant / wont justify the price difference

KrayzKajun
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I emailed my dealer to get a final price on a 48" GHS w/ 26hp efi. He may have a 52" ghs instock, so may just get the 52".
Posted via Mobile Device

jplawnmaint
03-18-2012, 05:06 PM
I own a 1998 MT 25 hp kohler 4,000+ hrs original motor. It's been an awesome mower. I swear by walker mowers. I have a 48" GHS and a 54" SD and it handles them fine. Wicked gas hog thou. If it were me I would get a diesel. We run our mowers all day 5-6 days a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
03-18-2012, 05:10 PM
KK

I own the 26 efi with 48" GHS--600 hours and no problems with the engine--lots of maintenance but that is to be expected with a walker. the efi sips fuel and would be plenty strong enough for any of the deck options. that being said I have an associate that has owned over 50 walkers over the last several years. He got the 52" GHS deck and was hoping for a huge productivity boost. He said the cut quality wasn't there and it did not do as well as the 48" GHS deck so he has gone back to all 48"--he also is a firm believer in diesel technology (all his Z's are kubotas) but he cant justify the extra for the walkers as the 26 is so good. I will only suggest the diesel walker to someone where the machine is going to be a one operator setup and will run better than 605 of the year (snow etc)...you will enjoy the 26 efi and the savings out the door will be huge

KrayzKajun
03-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I run a 46" lazer z and it works great on my yards. I'm hoping the walker will really help my yards stand out.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I own a 1998 MT 25 hp kohler 4,000+ hrs original motor. It's been an awesome mower. I swear by walker mowers. I have a 48" GHS and a 54" SD and it handles them fine. Wicked gas hog thou. If it were me I would get a diesel. We run our mowers all day 5-6 days a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is incredible to me. I had a 98 with the exact 25 hp Kohler motor that was an absolute nightmare. Kohler had design problems with that motor and it appears you got the only good one. Mine had issues at 100 hours and never ran well until I traded it for a 2000 26 EFI. I agree the 25 was a pig on gas but I still am in shock to read you have 4000+ hours on it. I would contact Kohler and have that thing gold plated. Walkers are great moneymakers for the right guys and I will always own a Walker. As a matter of fact I am going out now to make some more money with mine.

KrayzKajun
03-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Well got my quote ths morning for a new 2012 48" GHS w/ 26hp efi, low pro tires and rims. With Walkers 5% off special and my dealers 5% off for spring open house, total came to $12,567 out the door. I just stopped and filled out the finance papers. Waiting on a call back.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Piking up new walker 48" ghs, 26hp efi and low pro wheels next fri at my dealers spring open house. Can't wait
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Congrats on that fine purchase. You will love it I am sure. I will someday buy a brand new one too but mine is paid for and making me lots of $$$$.

jplawnmaint
03-19-2012, 04:42 PM
This is incredible to me. I had a 98 with the exact 25 hp Kohler motor that was an absolute nightmare. Kohler had design problems with that motor and it appears you got the only good one. Mine had issues at 100 hours and never ran well until I traded it for a 2000 26 EFI. I agree the 25 was a pig on gas but I still am in shock to read you have 4000+ hours on it. I would contact Kohler and have that thing gold plated. Walkers are great moneymakers for the right guys and I will always own a Walker. As a matter of fact I am going out now to make some more money with mine.

I'm sorry to hear you had problems with that motor right from the get go. I have had really good luck with all of my kohler motors. Most people are shocked when I tell them how many hrs are on it. Its definetly tired but it still goes. Its gonna be used as a back up this year. I walked in to the storage container and it started up no prob.
Posted via Mobile Device

jplawnmaint
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Piking up new walker 48" ghs, 26hp efi and low pro wheels next fri at my dealers spring open house. Can't wait
Posted via Mobile Device

Congrats on the mower. You are gona love it. It's awesome for those tight properties and the stripes will make the properties look good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Nobody answered my question. Do you guys charge the customers more to use your Walker? I don't get how you make more money using a walker over another zero turn....

MOW ED
03-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Nobody answered my question. Do you guys charge the customers more to use your Walker? I don't get how you make more money using a walker over another zero turn....

Do I charge more for using the Walker? If I mow and bag I charge more. I mostly use the Walker for thatching and leaf control now. I also use it as a sprayer. I make more money than using a Zero turn because it does a great job on leaves and thatching than the zero turn can. I do use a zero turn for my weekly mowings but the Walker is a back up if the z has problems. I have a 52" side discharge deck that has double blades on it. The Walker I have isn't a speedster but the quality of cut even doing rough work such as thatching is awesome. It sells my work to others who want their lawn to look like what I just did. So thats how the Walker makes me money. Every other guy is using a Z and a vacuum kit, my Walker vacuums and looks unique. The Walker stripe is a great advertisement. It is a greatr machine and maybe it isn't for everyone but it certainly is for me.

Florida Gardener
03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Do I charge more for using the Walker? If I mow and bag I charge more. I mostly use the Walker for thatching and leaf control now. I also use it as a sprayer. I make more money than using a Zero turn because it does a great job on leaves and thatching than the zero turn can. I do use a zero turn for my weekly mowings but the Walker is a back up if the z has problems. I have a 52" side discharge deck that has double blades on it. The Walker I have isn't a speedster but the quality of cut even doing rough work such as thatching is awesome. It sells my work to others who want their lawn to look like what I just did. So thats how the Walker makes me money. Every other guy is using a Z and a vacuum kit, my Walker vacuums and looks unique. The Walker stripe is a great advertisement. It is a greatr machine and maybe it isn't for everyone but it certainly is for me.
See that's the thing you can't stripe St Aug. I have never seen a walker down here. I have used three different brands on St Aug and with sharp blades they all leave a great cut. I'm sure it's a great selling point in your area, but here, it's not worth it IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
See that's the thing you can't stripe St Aug. I have never seen a walker down here. I have used three different brands on St Aug and with sharp blades they all leave a great cut. I'm sure it's a great selling point in your area, but here, it's not worth it IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is the way I looked at. Bagging may take a few mins longer, but the look of the manicured yard turns heads. I also figure the timed saved by only having to go over a yard once, than having to double or triple cut during heavy growth and rain.
Posted via Mobile Device