PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants to barter (Need Advice)

LawnBoy627
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I recently got a call from a customer who received one of my business cards from a local business. I went out the other day to give the customer an estimate on maintaining the property. I talked to the customers wife and she said she would talk to her husband about it. Well today I got a call from the customer and he said he is in the marketing industry and will trade my services for his. He told me he will handle all my marketing (Web site, Flyers, ect.) Going to talk to the customer later this week. Any of you guys barter with customers? Is it a good idea?

cgaengineer
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Nothing wrong with bartering as long as its something you need...it's non taxable so I like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-11-2012, 10:54 PM
i barter all the time. just last week, got the bill for the repairs on my skidsteer. the shop owner wanted to know i wanted to swap out the labor on the bill for some landscape work at his house. im all for it, plus he lives in a nice community ive been trying to get into.

TuffWork
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
If you are interested in getting more marketing then go for it. Barters are great for business. Because they give you something for your "costs" and vice versa. It's a great way to get stuff done without paying a premium. Just make sure its something you really need. However, taxes are still supposed to be paid in a barter. So you might consider that.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Bartering is good if both parties feel satisfied. Too many times someone feels like they are holding the sh##y end of the stick. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Fronczak
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Like others said bartering is good IF they offer somthing you need/want & you offer the same, if you are happy withyour marketing then I dont see where you benifit. For instance the lolocal garage that repairs your truck, as others said the Bobcat repair place, trailer dealer (if you need a new trailer), etc. Hell even a resturant you or your wife like. The marketing I would probably pass on though, unless you know his work, now if he is the guy doing the printing & you need more flyers, then thats another story.

Cheffy
03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah great idea if you need it. I barter with a long time friend who owns a large home improvement / remodeling co. He sends out a very attractive brochure monthly to his current and long term customers ( 3000 ) . In which I have a nice 1/4 page add . I take care of his two shops. Lawn care and weed control. Barter is good.

Dr.NewEarth
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
get a written contract

Kelly's Landscaping
03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Tried that once and it was for advertizing too. Will NEVER do it again wasted 2 years for advertizing that we knew wouldn't work and basically wrote off $3000.

MyYardPeople
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Have him list the things he is willing to trade (no need for contracts, although him listing it and both of you having a copy is a basic contract) then figure out when and how he is going to do it... Bartering is one of the oldest ways of doing business and sometimes the most effective. If you do it right you will make way more money out of the barter than if you just charged him for the yard. Say you get 2 or 3 annual contracts out of the marketing not a bad trade if they pay well.

Weekend cut easymoney
03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Service,quality,price...pick two
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Haggle,that is
Posted via Mobile Device

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
03-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Don't do it. Barter for things of real value like getting a skid fixed of being able to actually send out your own ads with someone else's ... this guy can claim he is doing w.e. he wants and that due to his expertise and experience in the field of marketing his price is high enough that your years worth of maintenance is worth the few advertising things you could easily do yourself through weebly and vista prints ...

MOW ED
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
In God we trust, all others pay cash.

I personally don't barter. If I need something then I pay what is required. When someone needs me, they pay what I ask. Simple business rules for me. I keep it simple. If it works for you that is great. I like being paid what I quote.

UberTrader
06-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Trade and Barter is a very good way to not only grow your business, but save cash at the same time. If you're interested in saving cash and/or growing your business, then I would imagine you would be interesting in trade and barter services.

gcbailey
06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
the only thing I will say about bartering is it's fine as long as you still have a cash flow coming in..... bartering may be well and fine with local stuff, but the power company doesn't care much for it...

UberTrader
06-21-2012, 06:17 PM
I recently got a call from a customer who received one of my business cards from a local business. I went out the other day to give the customer an estimate on maintaining the property. I talked to the customers wife and she said she would talk to her husband about it. Well today I got a call from the customer and he said he is in the marketing industry and will trade my services for his. He told me he will handle all my marketing (Web site, Flyers, ect.) Going to talk to the customer later this week. Any of you guys barter with customers? Is it a good idea?

Nothing wrong with bartering as long as its something you need...it's non taxable so I like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

i barter all the time. just last week, got the bill for the repairs on my skidsteer. the shop owner wanted to know i wanted to swap out the labor on the bill for some landscape work at his house. im all for it, plus he lives in a nice community ive been trying to get into.

If you are interested in getting more marketing then go for it. Barters are great for business. Because they give you something for your "costs" and vice versa. It's a great way to get stuff done without paying a premium. Just make sure its something you really need. However, taxes are still supposed to be paid in a barter. So you might consider that.Yeah, I agree with all these posters have said. With that said, have you considered signing up to a professional barter site?

I have to comment on what CGA Engineer posted, it is taxable, and is taxed by the IRS as barter is considered just like CASH by the IRS. However, its typically taxed on what you gain, not what you barter out.

I live in Atlanta and as such barter in Atlanta, and after doing it for about a year, I have to say, I LOVE it. I got over a thousand dollars of dental work done, all on trade, got my car fixed, both a tire alignment and some dents removed. May purchase some high-end bicycles on trade here before the month's over and will get about 5 thousand plus dollars worth of dental work done before it's all said and done. My co-worker, who's an entrepreneur gets her lawn done strictly on barter and trade in Atlanta.

Every small businessman and/or entrepreneur should seriously look into barter and trade.

bj1bmx
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
dont do it. one side always feels screwed over and since he's the one who suggested it...I'd say you'll end up with the shaft. Sounds like the guy's marketing business has slowed down and he wants some work done without having to pay the cash.

If you need marketing, pay him for his services and have him pay you for yours. If you both pay cash to each other for actual services performed, maybe there won't be hard feelings...

And technically, bartering IS taxable. One party is receiving services in exchange for something else. Whether the something else is cash or another service, it doesn't matter... You are still supposed to pick it up as income.

Good luck

BradLewisLawnCare
06-21-2012, 07:44 PM
I barter mowing for mulch. $25/ yard of mulch and $50/cut that particular lawn. We just keep the numbers straight. I get the mulch and sell it to someone else and it is all just an expense. Dental work I have done. Marketing I have done. I told him do SEO. He ended up sending me 15 clicks from his site in a year. I told him I am too busy now. I also trade mowing for a dump site.

Smallaxe
06-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Barter, IS taxable, according to IRS Code... :)

Grass887
06-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Bartering is great, I barter with customers whenever I can.
I mow a lawn for a guy that works for a very expensive clothing store, (shirts start at $110), he gets 50% off, every time I mow (20 min) I get a shirt. Works for me.
Then I have a couple restaurants I eat at for 'free' all summer, because I do the landscaping there.
I used to get 'free' pet care when I serviced the vet.

Like everyone said, if its things you need, great