PDA

View Full Version : ZTR is blowing bark mulch everywhere

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I hope this is not too dumb of a question but here goes. I am a residential guy and bought a Husqvarna ZTR RZ4621 mower last summer to do my mowing. My question is, no matter what I try to do this thing has so much power I wind up blowing my bark mulch out of my beds regardless of what I try. Short of buying a bagger attachment, are there any tips or trick you guys use to keep from blowing stuff everywhere using these mowers?

Thanks and btw, this forum has taught me a ton in the last year or so, thanks guys.

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I would suggest not running over the mulch in the first place.

mowers only cut, blow, discharge what you run over. if mulch isn't going under the deck it's not gonna get blown all over the place.

JB1
03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
install the anti mulch blower baffles.

GMLC
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Your going to have to make more passes around your beds to avoid getting to close. Or get a ocdc.
Posted via Mobile Device

lotsagrass
03-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Something like this might help you (OCDC): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptTl_O5-PaA

Otherwise, not pointing the discharge area at the beds may be the only other way to stop blowing the mulch. Make a couple passes blowing the grass out into the yard away from the mulch beds.

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Yardguy28, I guess I didn't state the obvious. It's not when I mow over the bark it's when I am mowing in the vicinity of my beds the discharge shoot is blowing mulch etc everywhere. There are quite a few tight spots where no matter which way I point the discharge shoot I am going to blow bark mulch.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
every mower will do that.

mulch kit, bagger or ocdc......

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I have been doing some digging looking for a OCDC for the Husqvarna but haven't had much luck. have any of you guys fabricated one?

I would really prefer not to bag so the OCDC seems like the way to go.

agrostis
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
What is your mowing height ?

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 04:09 PM
3.5-4 inches depending on the season

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
any reason you can't use a mulch kit? that would be better than an ocdc.

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Forgive me but I am not very knowledgable when it comes to ZTR's. I am wanting to prevent the massive amount of air from blowing pine needles, mulch, etc out of my beds.

Would a mulching blade not side discharge or would there be no forced air out of the side chute with a mulching blade?

jtsnipe
03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
First off you should not be blowing cut grass into the beds.Make two passes blowing the grass away from the beds then cut in the standard direction.

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Guys, I am asking for advice but please read the thread, I know which direction to mow, my question is I have some tight spaces that I can only cut in one direction and have another bed in a close enough distance that the bark mulch gets disturbed.

I believe the OCDC is the way to go but would like to make one vs spending $300 +.

Has anyone made such a device for the Husqvarna ZTR's?

Thanks

DieselHolic
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Ummmmmm... 2 passes around the bed, and dont point the chute towards it?? thats a good start hah

jayjysmth
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
What would you suggest if you have say 10 ft between the beds? Two passes in either direction and you are throwing stuff everywhere.

93Chevy
03-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Throttle down.......

No need to buy expensive add ons

jtsnipe
03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
What would you suggest if you have say 10 ft between the beds? Two passes in either direction and you are throwing stuff everywhere.21'' or a ocdc.Sorry,I did'nt see in the earlier post that the beds were 10' feet apart.

orangemower
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
WWW.Powerchutedesign.com
This will stop the debris temporarily while going past the beds. I have customers with the same deal. I have one on my Scag and don't know what I'd do without it.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Forgive me but I am not very knowledgable when it comes to ZTR's. I am wanting to prevent the massive amount of air from blowing pine needles, mulch, etc out of my beds.

Would a mulching blade not side discharge or would there be no forced air out of the side chute with a mulching blade?

a mulch kit contains more than a mulching blade.

let me rephrase that. a correct mulch kit contains more than a mulching blade.

there is a baffle that goes under the deck to create the chambers and a mulch plate that closes off the discharge chute.