PDA

View Full Version : have a hydro leak, will it last the year

stonebridge
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
i have a dixie chopper that has a very small leak on the left hydro pump. about 10-20 drops a day after using it. will this make it threw the year, and how hard are they to change out. i am planning to ride it out this season if i can and replace the pump myself this fall. its leaking where the pump attaches to the center box part, i don't know if thats just a seal there or the pump need to be replaced.

djagusch
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Its a $30 seal kit. Maybe a half day taking it out/apart. Do it and get it over with. If it can leak out, dirt can also get sucked in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
03-13-2012, 06:29 PM
That's nothing more than a larger sized o-ring, Pick up the right o-ring from a Dixie dealer. All you have to do is remove the nuts holding the pump to the T-box and slide it back enough to remove the old and install the new o-ring, You don't even have to remove any hoses/lines.....

Landrus2
03-13-2012, 06:35 PM
You should get that leak fix a small leak will become a big leak:weightlifter:

stonebridge
03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
how much oil will come out and do i have to worry about getting air in the pump

Restrorob
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Maybe a quart or so, Once the system is re-filled raise and block the drive wheels off the ground. Start the engine and run about 3/4 throttle, Move the controls full forward then full reverse slowly 8 to 10 times then re-check fluid level.

stonebridge
03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
i think i will do this, pump work great just leaking the fluid a tiny bit just want to fix it if this is all it needs, it leaked all last year, just want to fix it before it gets worse

djagusch
03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Make sure you clean the outside really well before you open it up. Any dirt would be bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
The fluid that is leaking is from the Tbox....not the pump.
Wouldn't want the Tbox to run dry...pump shafts strip out..gears break...etc.
Some Tboxes feed fluid from the hydro tank...some just use gear oil...
Make sure which 1 you have.....it could drain your hydro tank when you remove the pump.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
how much oil will come out and do i have to worry about getting air in the pump

If it leaking between pump and Tbox then its not hydro oil its Tbox grease
To fix it take a o ring around the pump or could be the gasket between the Tbox and the spacer either way you Its a easy fix 1.5 hr at the most
Back in the 90s and older they would build pressure up and blow seals Then they started put a air vent on them

Does yours have air vent if it doesnt Fix the leak and install a air vent

In the Tbox some say to run 90w I run 90w + Few pumps of gun grease to thicken it up

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
The fluid that is leaking is from the Tbox....not the pump.
Wouldn't want the Tbox to run dry...pump shafts strip out..gears break...etc.
Some Tboxes feed fluid from the hydro tank...some just use gear oil...
Make sure which 1 you have.....it could drain your hydro tank when you remove the pump.
Posted via Mobile Device

Slapper right I forgot about my 2001 model Tbox on it ran same oil from the Tank that feeds the hydro pumps

Say take a pic under the seat post it slapper or I can tell what model you have