PDA

View Full Version : Playground Installation

heygrassman
12-08-2002, 01:31 AM
Hey all..

I am being approached about about prepping the grounds for a new daycare center. By law, they are required to have a certain amount of grounds available per child. The owner is looking for a cross between mulched areas, turf areas and possibly an auxillary area (sand, concrete, etc.)

Can anyone offer some thoughts on the best way to approach the mulched areas in and around the swings, etc. to best minimize maintenance? Landscape fabic works well in beds, but what about in areas that are very high traffic with little feet back and forth and up and down all day?? I am not inclined to approach with routine chemical treatments in the play area. Natural alternative are a potential thought.

I appreciate any thoughts you can share..

Jeff

SCL
12-08-2002, 12:10 PM
watch what you put down for mulch. Buy a certified playground mulch double ground, not that much more expensive, and put it down 6" thick. I think that's the specs per the mulch company for insurance reasons. That keep most of the weeds out also.

AztlanLC
12-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Try this link, you might be able to get something familiar in your area.

MULCH (http://www.detailedplay.com/AccMulch.htm)

paul
12-08-2002, 05:44 PM
First off all playground areas need 12" of mulch. There are some very strick rules on how far from the equipment it needs to go ( safety zone) Next be very carefull when installing it. Most playgrounds need some type of drainage system under the playground other wise the mulch can grow some nasty fungus :(
If your not real sure of what you have to do Please!! contact a professional installer of playground equipment in your area, they have all the information and rules that you need to follow. Remember all you're good intentions won't help if a child get hurts and you get dragged in to court.

SCL
12-09-2002, 10:16 AM
You might try your local park district for help. Mine has a guy who is a Certified Playground Installer and Inspector. He's a wealth of information and never get charged a dime.

jkelton
12-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Check this website out:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/325.pdf

This is the handbook for playground safety published by the US Consumer Product Safety Commision. As Paul mentioned, be careful when installing. Twelve inches of mulch is a conservative value you can use, but you can use less if you read the laws (6" min - depending on height of playground equipment, 6' from the outermost edge of the equipment). Knowing the laws will put you in a definite advantage, both professionally and economically.

DanaMac
12-09-2002, 12:12 PM
I installed playgrounds for a while and, yes there are strict rules/laws concerning them. I agree with Paul, contact a playground installer or the manufacturer.

We also cleaned the playgrounds in the McDonalds' restarants. Those are the dirtiest things I have ever seen. Dirt, grime, food, fungus, stench, dried ketchup, graffiti, and lets not forget the condoms. If I ever have kids, I WILL NOT let them play in those.