PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a price on Sod for delivery and Delivery with install

TNJustice
03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I am looking for a price in on Sod in the South florida area that includes delivery. I would need 9 pallets of standard st. augistine grass to complete the project. I am also looking for alternative numbers to include install. This would be in the erast boca raton area

jvanvliet
03-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I am looking for a price in on Sod in the South florida area that includes delivery. I would need 9 pallets of standard st. augistine grass to complete the project. I am also looking for alternative numbers to include install. This would be in the erast boca raton area

Try Odum or AAA; my last quote Floratam; $125 per pallet installed.

Landscape Poet
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
$125 per pallet installed. WHAT!!!!!:confused:

fobaum
03-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Double WHAT! Installed someone must have bumped their head:hammerhead: I charge $275-$300 for 1-5 pallets installed 6-15 pallets $250 per pallet. ALL DAY.

Florida Gardener
03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Double WHAT! Installed someone must have bumped their head:hammerhead: I charge $275-$300 for 1-5 pallets installed 6-15 pallets $250 per pallet. ALL DAY.

Those prices are kind of low...
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
WHAT!!!!!:confused:

He's got nine pallets; did I let a cat out of the bag?

keithslawnc
03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
My sod guy lays delivers and installs floritam for .$37 per sqft and tear out and installs for $.55 per sqft. Any job over 1500 sqft. Thats the going rate in my area of Florida. You have to remember a company that buys a lot of grass can get it pretty cheap.

zturncutter
03-14-2012, 08:16 AM
My sod guy lays delivers and installs floritam for .$37 per sqft and tear out and installs for $.55 per sqft. Any job over 1500 sqft. Thats the going rate in my area of Florida. You have to remember a company that buys a lot of grass can get it pretty cheap.

About right for my area as well, and the sad fact is that was the going rate in the late 80's in Sarasota. Of course overhead and fuel especially is so much less now :cry:;)

Ric
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
About right for my area as well, and the sad fact is that was the going rate in the late 80's in Sarasota. Of course overhead and fuel especially is so much less now :cry:;)

Yo

Z Turn is neighbors with a Large Family Owned and run Sod company, That I do Pesticide work for. When the Economy crashed they had to change direction from doing mostly New Construction to selling Renovation work.

My point is, To hold down cost They have me kill out the existing turf and Lay sod right over top of it. Yes at first I wasn't a Believer either and didn't feel it was the right way to do things. But it does turn out pretty good. Really bad yards that are un-level don't get leveled and that is the only down side. If the yard is Level then no problem and they do cut out near side walks to maintain Grade.

Florida Gardener
03-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Yo

Z Turn is neighbors with a Large Family Owned and run Sod company, That I do Pesticide work for. When the Economy crashed they had to change direction from doing mostly New Construction to selling Renovation work.

My point is, To hold down cost They have me kill out the existing turf and Lay sod right over top of it. Yes at first I wasn't a Believer either and didn't feel it was the right way to do things. But it does turn out pretty good. Really bad yards that are un-level don't get leveled and that is the only down side. If the yard is Level then no problem and they do cut out near side walks to maintain Grade.

Ric I had a customer that had a Bahia/weed mix. They killed the front, I cut what was there low on my mower and the new sod was laid on top. After 3 years, the only weeds are some sedge, a little CG, and a little bermuda. Maybe 3% of the entire 10-k. The lay overs work very well IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Ric I had a customer that had a Bahia/weed mix. They killed the front, I cut what was there low on my mower and the new sod was laid on top. After 3 years, the only weeds are some sedge, a little CG, and a little bermuda. Maybe 3% of the entire 10-k. The lay overs work very well IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

I actually think the soil and organic matter NOT REMOVED is a Plus to the new sod. I pick up many of these accounts I kill out and they seem to do very well.

Bermuda is hard to kill and does come back up. U of F recommends 4 application two weeks a part of Glyphosate and Fusilade. That is two months and way too long for for commercial work. Also remember Fusilade un-like Roundup has a pre emerge effect and waiting period before sod can be laid.

Bahia is also Hard to kill, but once sod is laid Bahia doesn't come back up like Bermuda will.

Florida Gardener
03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Chris

I actually think the soil and organic matter NOT REMOVED is a Plus to the new sod. I pick up many of these accounts I kill out and they seem to do very well.

Bermuda is hard to kill and does come back up. U of F recommends 4 application two weeks a part of Glyphosate and Fusilade. That is two months and way too long for for commercial work. Also remember Fusilade un-like Roundup has a pre emerge effect and waiting period before sod can be laid.

Bahia is also Hard to kill, but once sod is laid Bahia doesn't come back up like Bermuda will.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone that has weeds or Bahia/weeds a layover. If there is currently a decent percentage of SA, I wouldn't recommend. FYI-that customer that had the layover, the price was double for the RandR. I'm talking a $2-K difference. That is a lot of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Try Odum or AAA; my last quote Floratam; $125 per pallet installed.

The last time somebody paid this low a price they ended up with a brown yard full of "Crabatam".:usflag:

jvanvliet
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
The last time somebody paid this low a price they ended up with a brown yard full of "Crabatam".:usflag:

:laugh: The price is not out of line on a 10 pallet plus installation, it doesn't include prep so it's a throw and go.

Odums is a big company They don't f around with the contracters too much. AAA is smaller but he's a honorable guy.

Next time you get a big sod job, check out one of the majors and you may be suprised. It beats putting that much down yourself.

Patriot Services
03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone that has weeds or Bahia/weeds a layover. If there is currently a decent percentage of SA, I wouldn't recommend. FYI-that customer that had the layover, the price was double for the RandR. I'm talking a $2-K difference. That is a lot of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have two issues with layovers. First is I like it flush with the driveway and sidewalk. Second is I frequently need that top layer of OM loosened so I can fill low spots and properly level it out. I wont do a slap, crap job with poor quality sod. Most of my new work comes from being close to my old work.:usflag:

Florida Gardener
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I have two issues with layovers. First is I like it flush with the driveway and sidewalk. Second is I frequently need that top layer of OM loosened so I can fill low spots and properly level it out. I wont do a slap, crap job with poor quality sod. Most of my new work comes from being close to my old work.:usflag:

Like Ric said, if it is uneven, no go. But in the case I had, the lawn was level, it was just a mess. The job came out excellent and 3.5 years later, it still looks awesome. It also saved the customer $2-K.

greenpoint
03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Not sure where you guys buy from, but I'm paying $150ish for the sod alone! And... $125 per pallet IS out of line, regardless of the number of pallets.

mjlcare2
03-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Like Ric said, if it is uneven, no go. But in the case I had, the lawn was level, it was just a mess. The job came out excellent and 3.5 years later, it still looks awesome. It also saved the customer $2-K.

Diamond- Isn't the point of running a business to make money.. say $2k to rip the yard? what kind of profit can you really make on a lay over?

Florida Gardener
03-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Diamond- Isn't the point of running a business to make money.. say $2k to rip the yard? what kind of profit can you really make on a lay over?

Read my other posts. I didn't do the work, the sod company did. It was 2-K to just throw the sod down. 4-K for R&R. I was there during the install. It took them about 2.5 hours or so to do all 20 pallets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Not sure where you guys buy from, but I'm paying $150ish for the sod alone! And... $125 per pallet IS out of line, regardless of the number of pallets.

Green Point

The Price of St A Sod in the Field is $ 0.15 a Sq Ft or $ 60.00 a 400 sq ft Pallet. What you are paying for is the Transportation. Back when I was half owner of a Sod Company we charged $ 150 per delivered pallet compared to our competitor's $ 125. We however had a Donkey Piggy Back Fork lift and spotted the Pallets in for easy throwing. Our Competitors just dropped the pallets on the street.

There is money in Sod Replacement in a Good economy. As a Pest Control Guy I network with a very old and established Sod Company. In fact I just got off the phone with them. They hurt bad in the 2008 crash but are picking up business daily right now. Interest rates are down and credit is getting loser because this is an election year. My suggest is to make now because after the election look for it to slow down again.