PDA

View Full Version : another truck tire question

Florida Gardener
03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
I have a 5.7 Tundra. I run a 6x12 enclosed and usually tow a 36" Wright, 21", and sometimes a 48" ZTR....

What would be the best tires to use that would give me the most longevity?

The Bridgestone POS that came with the truck went about 20k. I currently have some Michelins that are holding up better. I would like to get around 40K out of a set.

The tires are 255/70/18.

TIA

Valk
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Try this link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS&tireSearch=true&width=255/&ratio=70&diameter=18&VT=null&sortValue=13

The tires in BOLD can be had in your size. This table is for Hwy All Season tires only...
I set the filter for 'tread wear'. I'd look most at the tires that have a LOT of miles driven by the database's drivers...the far right column.

Get Tirerack's price for delivered tires to your front door and take it to your local shop. They've always matched Tirerack's price for me.

Valk
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Here's a link to All Terrain tires with filter set to tread wear:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&tireSearch=true&width=255/&ratio=70&diameter=18&VT=null&sortValue=13

Patriot Services
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I've been running BFG A/T KO'S for a few years and gotten at least 50k out the rears. They are 8ply and Give me a little more peaco of mind if I overload a bit. They are pricey but I know they make a 2 ply verion that are cheaper.:usflag:

Deori
03-15-2012, 03:04 PM
I've got Michellin A/T LTXs right now. They were rated at 80K miles and that's about what I'll get out of them. I've got about 70K on them right now. I'm happy about how long they've lasted but they don't handle very well in wet weather. I had the BFG A/T KO'S before which only lasted me about 45K miles but they were cheaper and handled better. I think they also look nicer. I'll probably be going back to the BFGs after these are done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I've got Michellin A/T LTXs right now. They were rated at 80K miles and that's about what I'll get out of them. I've got about 70K on them right now. I'm happy about how long they've lasted but they don't handle very well in wet weather. I had the BFG A/T KO'S before which only lasted me about 45K miles but they were cheaper and handled better. I think they also look nicer. I'll probably be going back to the BFGs after these are done.
Posted via Mobile Device

You got that many miles towing? Do you rotate?
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Michelin or BFG A/T 8ply. You get what you pay for. I have had good service from both of these tire manufactors and they have never worn before the rated period. I have a set of BFGs on my dodge and they are doing great. On a large OTR tractor I got 330,000 miles out of a set of Michelin drive tires, yes all 8 of them lasted that long without every rotating or needing any repair work. It took me about a year and half to put those miles on.

Deori
03-15-2012, 11:27 PM
I've rotated them a few times but the tread wears down so slowly on those Michelins that when I took them in for rotation trying to do the right thing the tire guys told me that the tread was so even it was really unnecessary.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deori
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Oh and yes most of those miles are towing and hauling but my trailer is only like 2K, usually have another 500-1000 lbs in the bed.
Posted via Mobile Device

t.land
03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a 1997 f250 7.3 and have 325/65/18 Hankook Dynapro A/T's on it. They have been on now for 20,000 miles and still look brand new. They are WARRANTIED to 50,000 miles and have a 5 star rating. They are great on and off road, and I am usually pulling a loaded dump trailer (12,000 lbs) or an equipment trailer (10,000 lbs). I consider these tires to be wearing very well and handling everything I throw at them. Also consider that my truck weighs roughly 8,000 lbs and the tires are almost 36" tall and 13" wide, these tires have held up very well. They were $200 each from discount tire, not including mounting and balancing.

poolboy
03-17-2012, 03:06 AM
I've been running BFG A/T KO'S for a few years and gotten at least 50k out the rears. They are 8ply and Give me a little more peaco of mind if I overload a bit. They are pricey but I know they make a 2 ply verion that are cheaper.:usflag:

What he said.

I also have a Tundra that had the same issues at 20k. Those tires seem to have melted off. Switched to 285 65 18 BFGs and been happy since.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjlcare2
04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Discount Tire

Michelin LTX MS2
70k mile warranty
free rotations, free balancing, free flat repairs, free air checks, and they match anybody's price including online retailers

Ive got them on all 4 of my trucks, smoothest ride, last forever, Discount Tire takes care of me real good.. I don't know why you'd go anywhere else. They also fix flats on my mowers, trailers for free.. and can order tires for the mowers.

Diamond aren't you in the Orlando/Oviedo area?

Florida Gardener
04-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Discount Tire

Michelin LTX MS2
70k mile warranty
free rotations, free balancing, free flat repairs, free air checks, and they match anybody's price including online retailers

Ive got them on all 4 of my trucks, smoothest ride, last forever, Discount Tire takes care of me real good.. I don't know why you'd go anywhere else. They also fix flats on my mowers, trailers for free.. and can order tires for the mowers.

Diamond aren't you in the Orlando/Oviedo area?
No, south Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjlcare2
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Gotcha, thought I'd seen you around but then you said you had a tundra and that's not the NPR I saw with diamond something landscaping local
Posted via Mobile Device

Moose's Mowing
04-18-2012, 01:47 PM
FWIW, stay away from the BFG all terrains. I've had them on many jeeps and trucks. I used to love them but they just can't hold up to a heavy truck. I'm getting rid of mine today actually. I got maybe 30k miles out of a set and they're crazy expensive.

I'm replacing them with a set of Hancook all terrains. When I put the KO's on my chevy they only came in load range D. I think they now make them in E, but I still won't buy them. I was looking at Cooper all terrains and also the Hancooks. Both had great reviews from guys towing often with 3/4 ton trucks. I got the Hancooks due to them being in stock at the local tire place. Hopefully they work well. I can't say enough bad things about the BFG's though. They were awesome when they had tread on them, very good in snow and wet roads and minor off road to get firewood, etc. but they just don't wear well or last long enough on a heavy pickup.