PDA

View Full Version : do you accept spring aerating?

grass disaster
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
last year we had the driest fall on record and i didnt do a single aerating.

its been my understanding not to do aerating in the fall. because it may cause weed growth. i'm not sure i have the facts straight on this.

in the past i always told people to aerate in the fall. id seem less likely to talk them into dethatching(they had aerating on the brain).

it would seem they never would call back in the fall, or i would call them and they lost their motivation and were no longer interested.

its almost easier $ for me to aerate. i have some nice aerating equipment.

should i be accepting aerating in the spring

maybe say something like if you havent aerated in a few year i would do the aerating.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Dethatching in real early spring either before it greens up or as its greening and aerating in spring as soon as you know the ground isn't frozen so maybe a week or two after you would do dethatching. I've been doing some dethatching here in Montana and this is the earliest I've ever seen grass start to green up here. About a full month early but we are very dry so if no rains shows up many lawns wuill be toast by June.

cuttin-to-the-Max
03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
I would do it.....Easy money! I used to do it with my gator rator...who cares if they want to pay for it i'll do it! how is it any different than a fert company doing it. I see them do it in the spring all the time!!

mykayel
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Aerating is best done twice a year. Read the following if you are interested in the research: http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/hort2/mf2130.pdf

MJB
03-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Most of my lawns are aerated twice a year. Late spring when the ground is soft, and fall . Depending on thatch levels I rarely thatch just aerate. Hate thatching.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Agreed, two times a year is great if you can get the customer to go for it.

pbrow
03-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Just starting in the industry but from what I have read aerating in the fall is preferred when the grass is actively growing. I think it should be dealt with on a case by case basis but from what I understand if you aerate in the spring you encourage not only root growth in the grass plants but also in the weeds.

pbrow

Exact Rototilling
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Most of my lawns are aerated twice a year. Late spring when the ground is soft, and fall . Depending on thatch levels I rarely thatch just aerate. Hate thatching.
Maybe it was one your post...but years ago I thought you mentioned use of a liquid dethacher and how you no longer offered powerraking dethatching.

1/4" of thatch digested is a specific time frame....?
Posted via Mobile Device

TruSomethingOrOther
03-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Just starting in the industry but from what I have read aerating in the fall is preferred when the grass is actively growing. I think it should be dealt with on a case by case basis but from what I understand if you aerate in the spring you encourage not only root growth in the grass plants but also in the weeds.

pbrow

Aerating in the spring (late spring, not as moist) may also promote weed growth in a not-so-healthy lawn, but if you apply a weed & feed at the same time, there will be no weed growth and the existing grass will be fed, encouraging deeper and vigorous root growth.

MJB
03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Maybe it was one your post...but years ago I thought you mentioned use of a liquid dethacher and how you no longer offered powerraking dethatching.

1/4" of thatch digested is a specific time frame....?
Posted via Mobile Device

I do use this on the real thatchy lawns. I used it on several diseased lawns that had 2.5 inches to 4 " of thatch. Then when I aerated it the plugs just disintegrate in your hand after a few months. Ideally this needs to be done more than 1 time every few years on problem lawns. It's called micro thatch a buddy of mine is the distributor for this area. Cost about $75 per acre I think I have not bought any this year yet. Just add water agitate and apply, then water it in. It feeds on thatch and poops nutrients that the plant can digest.

Hineline
03-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I always do it late fall to early winter. You get a better freeze/thaw fracture with the late holes and more aeration in the process.