PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else HATE their enclosed trailer?

K&L Landscaping
03-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Well, I bought a 8.5x20 V-Nose about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely HATE it!! Pain in the neck to fill the mowers up, pain in the neck to maneuver and the list goes on. The only thing I like about it is that it keeps my equipment out of the weather, that's it.

I will be buying another open trailer ASAP, enclosed trailers are way overrated IMO.

Lefet
03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
If you hate it that much, I have a nice lonngggggg driveway you can drop it off in. I would be more than happy to help absorb your pain.
(j/k)

buttaluv
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
man, I'm sorry about that! I have had buyers remorse so many times!!!it does hurt!

psdnate
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I'll trade you my open for your enclosed!

KrayzKajun
03-14-2012, 09:04 AM
I love my enclosed. They are not for everbody. Wht size trailer did u pull, prior to buying the enclosed? It takes some time to get used to the wide trailer being behing you. I don't fuel mowers in the trailers, due to safety. Now I can parrallel park my 8.5x18' enclosed with my dually.
Posted via Mobile Device

clydebusa
03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I have enclosed and open. Just started another 18' open this year. Didn't want to spend the money on enclosed. Worked it yesterday and thought when I get home, I will look for another enclosed. I just feel safer with the equipment being locked up. Working a 2 man crew, standard rule someone in front all times. I look up helper in back yard with me. Thought going threw my mind, someone taking blowers or weedeaters. It's not I work in high crime areas, but crime comes to you. Good luck and post pics and how much you want for the trailer. 20' is a long trailer for me though.

davidcalhoun
03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Pain in the neck to fill up mowers VS storage, security and having a moving billboard.

It's all about what works for you.

waters lawn care
03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I installed a fueling door on mine in the middle on the left side made fueling so much easier.

PLS-Tx
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I installed a fueling door on mine in the middle on the left side made fueling so much easier.

That's what we did, two fuel doors, works great.

We have a open and a enclosed, can't beat the enclosed for the mowing route. Been using ours for about 6 years, love it.

Give it time, I think you will like it once you get adjusted to it.

KrayzKajun
03-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Another reason why I love my enclosed. Just dropped off $2k worth of plants to a jobsite, for install in the morning. Dropped the trailer, locked everything up all secure. Can't do that with an open trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

ParkWelding
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Well, I bought a 8.5x20 V-Nose about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely HATE it!! Pain in the neck to fill the mowers up, pain in the neck to maneuver and the list goes on. The only thing I like about it is that it keeps my equipment out of the weather, that's it.

I will be buying another open trailer ASAP, enclosed trailers are way overrated IMO.

You'll get used to the maneuvering, a 20' enclosed is really no different than a 20' open.

How much gas do you go thru in a week?

I fuel up each morning before we leave. One night a week I go with a pickup truck and buy enough gas to go for at least the week. Takes me way less time out of our days to get gas once a week and be fully loaded each day so we are guaranteed no interruptions for running anything out of gas. No waiting for a spot in the gas station for the truck/trailer to fit, no unloading mowers to fuel up. No straight gas cans to keep tied down etc...

DoetschOutdoor
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Pull up to the pump and go through the side door for the mowers in the front. Pull up a few feet and drop the rear gate to get to the back mowers. I have 3 mowers in mine and can get to all of them by going through the side door and rear gate. Not a big deal. The benefits outweigh the very few hassles with enclosed trailers for mowing rigs.

Az Gardener
03-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Put a nurse tank on the tongue or fuel caddy that you can wheel around to solve the fuel problem, but if you don't like enclosed no amount of suggestions will change you. I have been using them since the early 90s but we carry a lot of stuff. If all I did was cut grass I would probably go with an open trailer.

clay duncan
03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
i tried an enclosed trailer back in the day and i did not like working out of it at all. i thought mine was bullet proof all locked up and it was broken into very easily. the thieves cut the little latch on the side door that the pad lock goes through. the lock was hanging there undamaged....... :cry:

justanotherlawnguy
03-16-2012, 02:18 AM
if it has drop axles, wait til you bend em and start going thru tires. jesus i have spent a fortune on tires and axles in the 5 years ive had mine...

pros still outweigh the cons, which is why i still have it. saving up for a box truck to replace the stupid enclosed trailer.

ParkWelding
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
if it has drop axles, wait til you bend em and start going thru tires. jesus i have spent a fortune on tires and axles in the 5 years ive had mine...

pros still outweigh the cons, which is why i still have it. saving up for a box truck to replace the stupid enclosed trailer.

Leaf spring or torsion axles?

justanotherlawnguy
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Leaf, couple years ago I did upgrade the 3500 springs to 5000lb springs and that was the best decision ever. Even with a bent axle the tires don't wear as fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oakleaf landscape
03-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Pretty sure you can still bend axles on an open trailer. Just don't overload them and watch the pot holes/don't run off the road.

justanotherlawnguy
03-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure you can still bend axles on an open trailer. Just don't overload them and watch the pot holes/don't run off the road.

You are correct my friend, had an open trailer before the enclosed and I bent an axle on it was well.

My dump trailer on the other hand is almost 5 years old and still has the original axles and 4 of 5 original tires. Maybe it's because of the huge 7000 lb axles!!
Posted via Mobile Device

J&R Landscaping
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I purchased a Pace Summit 8x16 last season and its the best investment I've ever made! Its so nice not having to load and unload in the morning and again in the afternoon when all is done. I love the extra protection of things being locked up when I am in a backyard and can't see it, or when its lunchtime. Took a little getting used to for backing up but that learning curve only lasted a few days. I wouldn't trade my enclosed for anything; though I still see where open trailers have their place!

fastlane
03-25-2012, 10:27 AM
i tried an enclosed trailer back in the day and i did not like working out of it at all. i thought mine was bullet proof all locked up and it was broken into very easily. the thieves cut the little latch on the side door that the pad lock goes through. the lock was hanging there undamaged....... :cry:

I knew someone that had a circle track motor taken from a motel parking lot.
They cut a 4x4 hole in the side of trailer with an air chisel. ( knew where to cut) Proves you can't stop every theft. But you sure can make it a lot harder! I only use open trailer for clean ups ect.

JCLawn and more
03-25-2012, 05:22 PM
whats the cost of a new enclosed 18-24 ft trailer? My open 18ft 7k with braking axle was $1800 ($2400 new now) Just wondering how much an enclosed one is roughly.