PDA

View Full Version : Helping a cut Xmas tree keep its needles???

GarPA
12-08-2002, 06:49 AM
First time is 20 years we have a cut real tree.Went out yesterday and cut down a douglas fir. I've used anti-transpirants (like Wilt Pruf) for many years on exterior hollies, rhodies, etc and it did a nice job preventing water loss from the leaves/plants.
Plan on spraying the lower and upper branch surfaces with same and was also wondering if there is any real value to putting the "preservative" stuff they sell into the water as I water it daily?Somewhere I heard that aspirin in water is helpful??
ANy words of wisdom on keeping a cut tree as fresh as possible??
(I will cut another inch off the bottom b4 putting in tree stand)
Thanks

SCL
12-08-2002, 11:54 AM
We've used all kinds of concoctions and I don't really know if any help that much. We're trying something I heard on the radio the other day and it makes sense. When watering use almost boiling water. Cuuts the sap leakage crust. We'll see.

rodfather
12-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Somewhere along the line, I remember hearing that adding sugar to the water helps too.

Dunno:confused:

1MajorTom
12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Keep Christmas Tree Fresh During Holidays

This advice comes from the Agricultural Extension Service of The University of Tennessee.

Pick a healthy tree with good needle color and texture.

Before putting the tree in its stand, make a fresh cut on the stump (base) of the tree to aid in water uptake.

Place the tree away from heat sources.

Water your tree heavily for the first week. Give it as much as it will take, which could be up to a gallon a day.

The warmth inside your house will mimic spring which will trigger the tree to begin growing. Without sufficient water, it will soon dry."

mdb landscaping
12-09-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Keep Christmas Tree Fresh During Holidays

This advice comes from the Agricultural Extension Service of The University of Tennessee.

Pick a healthy tree with good needle color and texture.

Before putting the tree in its stand, make a fresh cut on the stump (base) of the tree to aid in water uptake.
Water your tree heavily for the first week. Give it as much as it will take, which could be up to a gallon a day.

Those are very important. making the clean cut a lot of times is a major problem with trees not lasting.

dhicks
12-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Somewhere along the line, I remember hearing that adding sugar to the water helps too.

Dunno:confused:

The garden radio shows here on Saturday were saying that you should add a clear syrup such as Kayro/Karo (SP) to the water you add each day. I believe it was one or two Tsp per gallon of warm water.

jeffyr
12-10-2002, 08:20 AM
I added Miracle Grow plant fertilizer a couple of years ago on the advice of a friend. Seems to work better than any other "solution" to try and keep a dying tree alive. My friend swears that his tree actually had new growth on the tips:eek: . I don't know if I believe that.....but it has works well to keep the tree fresh. Of course all the things jodi listed are done as well as keeping it away from a sunny window.

jeffyr

GarPA
12-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Now I remember why I stopped getting a real tree 20 years ago.....

The 6 ft Dougalss Fir cost me $40 and I cut it down, it didn't fit in the tree stand, needles everywhere bringing it in....and the part that really ticks me off is that the damn thing has NO SMELL!!

Now I know Douglas Firs aren't the most fragrant tree but this thing has zero smell...so I'm still trying to figure out why I bought a real tree...I guess for the "experience"...BAH HUMBUG!!!!

PS....thanks for all your tips on keeping the MY LAST real tree fresh...appreciate it...

And I hope Santa brings you all the Men Toys you aksed for..