PDA

View Full Version : Dethatching Depth

Jeremiem1
03-15-2012, 12:02 AM
Just wondering what people are running for depth on their dethatchers?? Any input would help. Thanks:weightlifter:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-15-2012, 12:58 AM
Just enough to dig into the thatch layer without digging into the dirt.
Isn't each setup going to be a little different?

lawn care St. Cloud, MN
03-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Buy a JRCO thatcher and you will never have to worry about setting the depth. Common sense will tell you how to set the depth but you shouldn't really have to if you have JRCO thatcher.

http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com

Greenery
03-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Buy a JRCO thatcher and you will never have to worry about setting the depth. Common sense will tell you how to set the depth but you shouldn't really have to if you have JRCO thatcher.

http://www.saintcloudlawncare.com

Well I guess that would depend on if his goal is to remove the actual thatch or to remove some of the dried up dead grass in the canopy of the lawn.

If the latter than yes that is a great tool for that, if he's going to actually dethatch than thats probably not gonna work so well.

By the way why when selling why do I hear so much about the previous company that would "dethatch" their lawn every spring with a tine rake?

I think we should come up with a better name for time raking rather than dethatching.

Btw I rarely dethatch a lawn but I do run a time rake a fair amount each year.

I guess one mans thatch is another mans dead grass clippings.

Oh and yes to the OP, DA pretty much summed it up as far as depth goes
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Just enough to dig into the thatch layer without digging into the dirt.
Isn't each setup going to be a little different?

The correct answer is here.

Now for me I ran my power rake in two directions totally destroying the turf or what was there anyway, but since my lawn was already smooth I am at the point now where I am pretty sure I can use my reel mower on my Bermuda without much top dressing.
Posted via Mobile Device