PDA

View Full Version : Deer Repellent

RAlmaroad
03-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Never had too much of a problem with deer. However seems like the past two years they have populated our area so thick that they will forgo nice pasture land and chew and pull leaves from my small trees. Is there anything that will work short of a 30/30. I let some hunter go after them back in the fall but they got their limit and there are still herds of them especially at night even coming into the lawn and pulling up my wife's flowers and spitting them out.
Anyway, any and all suggestions of anything that will work is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Roy

greendoctor
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
A 30-30 then kosher salt, peppercorns, rosemary and garlic. That is followed by a bacon wrap. Internal temp should be 130.

There are repellents such as Plantskydd. Supposedly, it changes the taste and smell of the plants so the deer thinks it is about to eat rotten meat. This is apparently the weapon of choice by foresters planting trees in the wild.

Greenery
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Try spreading some milorganite around the flowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
A 30-30 then kosher salt, peppercorns, rosemary and garlic. That is followed by a bacon wrap. Internal temp should be 130.

There are repellents such as Plantskydd. Supposedly, it changes the taste and smell of the plants so the deer thinks it is about to eat rotten meat. This is apparently the weapon of choice by foresters planting trees in the wild.

As an alternative a 30-06 or my choice .308 will get the job done.

RAlmaroad
03-15-2012, 05:38 PM

Didn't a leg of lamb fit this description just at Christmas? I'm thinking tenderloin.
Thanks, found it and ordered already. Should be here in quickly. Meanwhile, I'm going to try Fl. suggestion. Won't hurt and that Milorginite smells bad enough. I like the Plantskdd's systemic action.
Thanks again hope you rain and wind has diminished.
Roy

RigglePLC
03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
No personal experience here, but...the botanic garden where I work lost a few thousand tulips last year. This year they switched to daffodils. Deer don't like them. They should sprout this week--blooms--maybe. Temps at least 20 degrees above normal; we expect 80 on Saturday.

Of course, there are several deer repellent solutions--various concoctions of blood meal and rotten eggs, in addition to Greendocs suggestion. You might try some Bitrex--it is the bitterest substance ever discovered.

Also, the scarecrow sprinkler might help. Its motion sensor turns on a sprinkler when triggered runs for 8 seconds and shuts off.

Also realistic plaster dog. Motion sensor triggers loud barking noises.

You might try various plans of stringing black string or cord between the trees; almost invisible at night. Attach bells, cans and noise-makers. Put in in a v-shape and drive all the deer to the motion sprinkler.

About 20 or 30 mouse traps might make 'em nervous. Rat traps baited with potato might clamp down on their noses. But you might trap a few skunks and racoons. Feel free to add a few mole traps.

And the deer shock pole might help. Three double A batteries. It has a spot for an apple and two wire electrodes on each side of the apple. 400 volts. Good hang time.

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5250-Electronic-Deer-Repellent/dp/B000BQRF60

If they get so bold as to not be afraid of you...sneak up with a can of paint and spray a big target on his azz.

greendoctor
03-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Didn't a leg of lamb fit this description just at Christmas? I'm thinking tenderloin.
Thanks, found it and ordered already. Should be here in quickly. Meanwhile, I'm going to try Fl. suggestion. Won't hurt and that Milorginite smells bad enough. I like the Plantskdd's systemic action.
Thanks again hope you rain and wind has diminished.
Roy

Yes it did. That is my standard prep for both. Lamb and venison are prepared similarly, except I can forget the bacon for lamb. It won't dry out before it is done. Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and butter sauteed carrots finish up the dinner. The rain and wind has declined to normal levels for this time of year. At one point, I was thinking of either building an ark or some ruby shoes.

greendoctor
03-16-2012, 12:27 AM
As an alternative a 30-06 or my choice .308 will get the job done.

That is the preferred method for getting feral pig ribs as well.

Smallaxe
03-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Use electric fence around the landscape... if they have a place to stand and eat on the otherside, then use a second fence running parallel about 6' away... thin wire, little posts for the fall - early Spring will train them away and you should be able to take it down for the summer...
I can give you more details if you decide to try it... :)

SMC
03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Deer repellent service has become a huge part of our business here in Connecticut. We use DeerPro Winter Animal Repellent to protect our clients landscaping during the winter and DeerPro Spring/Summer to protect annuals and perennials during the growing season.

CHARLES CUE
03-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Deer repellent service has become a huge part of our business here in Connecticut. We use DeerPro Winter Animal Repellent to protect our clients landscaping during the winter and DeerPro Spring/Summer to protect annuals and perennials during the growing season.

I have tried the deer pro winter. But have not tried the summer how does it work and for how long.

Me I like the 30 06 so you don't have to be close you can reach and touch them.

Charles Cue

SMC
03-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I have tried the deer pro winter. But have not tried the summer how does it work and for how long.

Me I like the 30 06 so you don't have to be close you can reach and touch them.

Charles Cue

DeerPro Spring/Summer lasts 4-6 weeks. I spray most of my customers' properties once a month starting in late April. The full program is 5 sprays during the growing season. Some properties with less pressure I can spray just 3 times and get good results.