PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki 23hp fh80v oil leak

MnLefty
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Ok I didn't think to take pictures of the problem until after I tore it apart so I'll try to illustrate using another machine. I had oil caked all over the carb, top and bottom, all over the bowl and solenoid, air intake... pretty much everything visible in the picture of the clean machine.

After digging through old threads and doing some investigating I think the picture shows it is NOT from the upper seals or the breather gasket. It's dirty up there, but no oil, that's all much lower. I also don't see how the governor arm seal could get oil all over the front of the carb the way it was. Like I said, EVERYTHING on the outside of the carb was caked. Thoughts?

dutch1
03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
The upper crank seal and the breather cover are the only sources of oil on the top side. Excessive wear in the top crank journal will erode the topside crankseal so that it will leak. Pull the breather cover and examine the gasket--I've frequently found sections of the gasket missing. The breather cover, in my experience, is the main source for an oil leak down the V of the block. On several occasions, I've found the two capscrews that retain the breather cover(under the flywheel) so loose I could turn them out by hand.

MnLefty
03-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Should've been more clear in my description... the second picture is from the problem machine. The breather cover is dirty, but NO oil around the flywheel or the top couple inches under the breather cover.

Seems nearly impossible to me that the breather gasket could spew oil all over the carb, and not have a drop anywhere close to the cover.

piston slapper
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Probably leaking or spraying out the base gasket or governor seal.
Remove the sump....you'll find the leak.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
How much oil was it using?
Was the crankcase breather hose installed properly and in good condition?
Posted via Mobile Device