PDA

View Full Version : Mulching rates??

ryan41
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I have always gone hourly with mulching $35.00 an hour for labor. I don't have a trailer to haul mulch so i always have it dumped there usually the customer pays for the mulch and just hires me for the labor. I have a job that is 14 yards of mulch with some weeding. I know a lot of people charge by the yard. I want to do it that way so the costumer does not think i am slacking to make an extra buck. What would be a good price per yard of mulch installation? Labor only. Let me know
Thanks,
Ryan

beano
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Well i always charge $70 a yard delivered and layed down. It cost me about $32 a yard plus tax so lets call it $35. So I make $35 a yard to deliver and lay. I can usually lay 2 yds an hour by myself as long as its not going in and around lots of flowers and tight spots. Is it just dump and rake and spread or is there a bunch of small beds and flowers to go around? Should be able to do 14yds by yourself in one long day or with a helper in 3/4 of a day.

ryan41
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
so i am pretty much right on? 35.00 a yard?

GMLC
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
We now charge 70 per yard for mulch delivered and installed. So 35-40 sounds about right to just install.
Posted via Mobile Device

ryan41
03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks!! What about for hand weeding?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-15-2012, 09:20 PM
$90.00 per yrd. Delivered and spread.
Posted via Mobile Device

beano
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Always charge per yard, you can get it done faster than per hour and make more $$$$. If you charge $35 per yard and lets say you can lay two yards an hour, pay a helper and pay them $15 and still make $55 an hour off of them and get it done in half the time!!! If you charge $35 per yd. at 14 yds you'd make $490. If you charge $35 and you get it done in 10hrs, your only making $350 losing out on the extra $140.

CHRIS92789
03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
100.00 per yard including delivery and labor.

MyYardPeople
03-15-2012, 10:28 PM
I usually hit $70-$80 per yard and charge seperately for delivery. Never had anyone question the price. If it was just going to be install I would probably hit around $35-$40 per yard

Get Some...
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
! am with the $70-$80 folks.

eddier1985
03-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Im kinda new but i have been working out how much i will charge by the yard for mulch. I keep seeing 70-80 pr yrd and i don't see it leaving much profit. I should think with what's left i should pay myself after paying helpers and what's left company profit. So i calculated 90-100 pr yrd is more profitable. Any one else think the same?
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Im kinda new but i have been working out how much i will charge by the yard for mulch. I keep seeing 70-80 pr yrd and i don't see it leaving much profit. I should think with what's left i should pay myself after paying helpers and what's left company profit. So i calculated 90-100 pr yrd is more profitable. Any one else think the same?
Posted via Mobile Device

We're between 80-110 depending on what prep needs done before it gets thrown down.

If there is lots of labor in the cleanup first, then that gets charged separately.

We also get our mulch by the semi-load also to cut out the middle man. It's the only way to be completely profitable with mulch and stay withing local market pricing.

gscapes
03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
normally100-125 per year installed> includes beds edged, cleaned and spray the weeds.

ryan41
03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
the prep work i am going to do by the hour (weeding, raking leaves out of beds, pruning plants etc). I am working on a proposal for 14 yards of mulch, bed edging & cleaning out the beds. this is how i break down the mulch: 30.00 a yard for laying mulch (labor), (i don't know how much the mulch cost yet still waiting for the supplier to call me back. the cleanup of the beds i was going to charge $35.00 a hour. How much do i charge for bed edging???

gscapes
03-20-2012, 12:06 AM
i do it by the yard with everything in one price. Included in my package is clean leaves and garbage out of bed, trim only obvious dead out of bushes, edge beds. Trimming is on an hourly basis added to the cost of the spring cleanup. Spray weeds and apply a per emergant grond control. Cap with mulch. I have it down to a formula based on several factors that i consider when pricing each job. I do my math and normally i get about $110-$120 a yard.

ryan41
03-20-2012, 01:14 AM
the job requires 14 yards of mulch. i was going to charge 30 for labor how much should i add on every yard for edging?

TinMan1
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
$90.00 per yrd. Delivered and spread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats what I charge for 1yd, $40 yd $50 delivery fee and applied

TripleALandscaping
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
I usually charge $80/yd delivered or brought by me and installed, lots of mulch places around so delivery rates are negligible.
Cutting a bed edge be it with a machine or a flat shovel $1/linear foot, if its a bed redefine, $0.50/linear foot. I don't do a cut edge per yard b/c someone could have a large bed across the front of their house and a bunch of small but longer beds dividing their property from their neighbor, for which linear feet might be much higher than say a couple beds around the house....which the back edge is not getting cut in. You'll have to evaluate the benefit of using, assuming renting a motorized bed edger over a flat shovel.
Is your time more valuable to you than the cost of a rental.....did a 20 yd job once and used a motorized edger....my helper didn't believe that in less than 10 mis I unloaded cut all the edges on the property, and loaded back up.....linear feet on this job was nuts and I know he was ready to curse me when he saw it all.

Weeding is a sep. cost determined by how bad the bed is.

Same with trimming of any shrubs.

As you will find out on here, you also need to factor in things like site conditions....is the area being mulched accesible, is the ground wet leading to it, are there tree roots where I need to cut a bed edge in, what type of weeds do you see, is it really the grass and not weeds, is the yard sloped uphill both ways, lol, etc. These type of things relate to a factor time which you will need to take an educated guess at.

Factor in your overhead.

One of many ways to look at it is: what would it cost the homeowner, add that to the amount per hour you want to make, plus any overhead costs.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

wildstarblazer
03-22-2012, 09:59 PM
So basically charge anywhere from $35 to $125 per yard.:laugh:

thelawnman
03-23-2012, 01:25 AM
We charge 80$ to 95$ a yard delivered and installed.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Tin man, by your reply to my post it sounds like you are charging $140 per yard delivered and spread, is that correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

TinMan1
03-23-2012, 07:49 PM
No i charge $40 per yard and a delivery fee of $50 up to 5 yrds cause thats what fits in my trailer, 2nd trailer $50 delivery
1 yrd $90
2 yrd $130
3 yrd $170 ect

jhayden
03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
$80 per yard installed.

cutsmartlawncare1
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
so when you guys say $70-$80 per yard for delivery and install, are you also paying for the mulch? (bare with me I'm young and I'm new to the pricing game, I'm used to working as a slave by the hr.)

cutsmartlawncare1
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
:confused:so when you guys say $70-$80 per yard for delivery and install, are you also paying for the mulch? (bare with me I'm young and used to the per hr. slave labor)

MDLawn
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I usually hit $70-$80 per yard and charge seperately for delivery. Never had anyone question the price. If it was just going to be install I would probably hit around $35-$40 per yard

I would look at that bold statement differently. If no one EVER questions it are you maybe a little on the cheap side then? You are maybe getting the jobs over other companies because you're the cheapest? I get "No's" on a lot of estimates, but get "Yes" too. Not saying you're doing anything wrong, just a different perspective on that statement.

So basically charge anywhere from $35 to $125 per yard.:laugh:

Unfortunately that's they way it is with most, shootin' in the dark.

so when you guys say $70-$80 per yard for delivery and install, are you also paying for the mulch? (bare with me I'm young and I'm new to the pricing game, I'm used to working as a slave by the hr.)

I guess I'm the oddball out. I've never had a mulch only job, most are trim, edge, clean, mulch, or installs. I figure time(hourly rate) + materials + profit = total job cost. If I was a company who was just doing mulch, like a mulch blowing company you could have a per yard charge because that's all you're doing.

I read all the time "I charge $XX.XX per yard, but charge hourly rate for pulling weeds, then a different hourly rate for trimming, add this fee for that and this other one for that." :dizzy: If it's just slinging mulch then fine I see the per yard rate working, I just never have those type of jobs.

If I have a job will take me 8 hours I figure it as follows (in very simple form)

8 hours x Hourly rate = (some sort of money figure)
+
5 Yards of mulch and other materials = (again some sort of money figure)
X
Profit = (some sort of percentage displayed in decimal for)

= Job Cost

But again I don't have just slingin' mulch jobs. I'm sure each way works but am more comfortable doing it this way. on some of my jobs over the years with mulch, edge, trimming, I'd be at $187.50 per yard. Go figure??

cutsmartlawncare1
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I have ending weeding a trimming to do before. But I just didn't include that because I probably will do a per hr. rate, at like 25 an hr. but for mulch I wanted something different. But I think there getting I delivered so I'm going to do 30 per yrd.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
But I just didn't include that because I probably will do a per hr. rate, at like 25 an hr.Posted via Mobile Device

Sooooo you havent figured on what you NEED to charge? Just shootin from the hip huh?

But I think there getting I delivered so I'm going to do 30 per yrd.Posted via Mobile Device

You think your going to do 30 per yard?

but for mulch I wanted something different. Posted via Mobile Device

So your company functions on two different hourly rates? Hmm interesting.

What does it cost you to run your business??!!!!!! Firgure that out before you even start just tossing up prices...

Know your costs = know what to charge

Don't know your costs = ......................................................

cutsmartlawncare1
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Like I said I'm young I'm still in high school. It's pretty small. I'm just trying to find an avg. price
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Then start it right so if you want it to grow into something you made the right steps..... Got a business class you can take as an elective in high school? Take it! The love for outdoor work and the lack of business knowledge is what makes most of us fail or not fully succeed at what we want to do, myself included. You can't learn enough on the business side. Also what seems like a lot of money to most high school guys wouldn't keep the lights on, water running, etc.. at most peoples homes let alone keeping the lights on for the business. Running a business is about running a business not just because we like to do some trade. Run it right and doing something your like is just the icing on the cake. Run it like a high school kid needing party money.....it's not a business venture then.

Good luck

cutsmartlawncare1
03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
It's different than a gig for party money. I'm investing by upgrading, advertise ect. Just need a few pointers.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I think for good practice eventhough it may not be real for you at the moment is to set up a plan of some sort with numbers used for a full time gig.

How many days can you work per year?
8 months(april-nov)/4 weeks per month/5 days a week = 160 days
maybe you'll fill 80% of that or 130 days

How does it cost to run your business?
Truck cost
Mower Cost
Equip Cost
Fuel Cost
Insurance Cost
Maint Cost
Etc..

Divide that number by 130 days by 8 hour workdays = per hour to just pay your expenses.

Lets say all that costs you $15,000/year divided by 130 days/8hrs = $14.42/hr that you HAVE to make to have that stuff. So at your $25/hr you're left with about 10/hr to profit, make a living, and expand your business......

This is just a very basic format and yes you can work 80hrs per week for the rest of your life if you wish, your equipment may be paid off but it doesn't last forever so you need to recover that cost. What does it cost you to operate? I know it's alot and in all seriousness you need to get out and do work for some friends and family to get a hold of how much time it takes you to do things and what it costs. I worked for someone for 5 years before I did my own thing. Really opened my eyes up to what it takes.

wildstarblazer
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
If you think it will take you one hour, add one more..:)

thedrake
04-08-2012, 09:32 AM
i work in dennis/harwich also, i drive by your shop every morning on the way to work. i work down the street for a guy 40hrs/week then have my 12 clients on the weekend (im not in it to have 100+ accounts just trying to make a few extra mortgage payments a year) do you get your mulch at rbo or s&j? im starting to think im under chargeing at $70/yard of hemlock, i install a yard per half hr by myself. any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. i dont include the delivery per yard i just tack it onto each job.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey drake,
Nice to meet you. You may be a little low. Like I said we do 90-100 per yard delivered and spread. We buy the majority of our materials from childs. They treat us right with service. If someone uses a funky color we will go to s&j. Feel free to stop by and say hi some morning or afternoon if we are around!
Posted via Mobile Device

thedrake
04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
thanks greg, i truly appreciate any help or advice i get. i may stop in some day. ive been landscaping 17 years now but it was only 4 years ago i started my own, im begining to grasp the business side now. thanks again