PDA

View Full Version : Hiring within or hire out of your current staff

deere615
03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
So I am rather small and only have 1 might have 2 guys working this year but a while back I learned the concept of hiring within meaning asking your current employees if they know of anyone wanting to work for you. This is good because it is cheaper and easier to find help.
On the other hand I don't like it because its like putting all your eggs in one basket which I per fer not to do. If One guy gets fired or quits will the other guy quit or hold a grudge?
My question is what do you guys normally do hire within or out of your current staff?

grass-scapes
03-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I learned the hard way not to hire friends or acquaintances.

Here are the issues:

If you fire one, the other may quit.
If one wants to slack off, the other will follow suit.
They will talk about anything they can all day long and not get anything done.
If you give one a raise, the other is going to expect one because, face it, they are gonna talk about what they make.
If one is stealing, or doing things that they shouldn't, the other will cover his buddies butt.

deere615
03-17-2012, 11:55 PM
I learned the hard way not to hire friends or acquaintances.

Here are the issues:

If you fire one, the other may quit.
If one wants to slack off, the other will follow suit.
They will talk about anything they can all day long and not get anything done.
If you give one a raise, the other is going to expect one because, face it, they are gonna talk about what they make.
If one is stealing, or doing things that they shouldn't, the other will cover his buddies butt.
Ok this is the way I thought of it also, once againmy way and others way was right and what college has taught me is not so much right haha!

I learned a whule ago never to hire family or friends also

GreenI.A.
03-18-2012, 12:48 PM
You have to consider the employee making the referal, if it is an employee who isn't responsible then you may have some of the problems above. But on the otherhand if it is a reliable, responsible employee, then their is a good chance that he won't recommend an irresponsible employee that he knows will make him look bad.

93Chevy
03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
You have to consider the employee making the referal, if it is an employee who isn't responsible then you may have some of the problems above. But on the otherhand if it is a reliable, responsible employee, then their is a good chance that he won't recommend an irresponsible employee that he knows will make him look bad.

Boom. Right there is where it's at. I made an employee recommendation to my boss...guy's starting Monday. They trust my recommendation because they know how I work.

But here's the thing. What Grass-Scapes said also is correct.

It's a really big judgement call...Most employees you can look at and talk to for a few minutes and figure out if their full of hot air, don't know anything, or really good workers.

grass-scapes
03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Boom. Right there is where it's at. I made an employee recommendation to my boss...guy's starting Monday. They trust my recommendation because they know how I work.

But here's the thing. What Grass-Scapes said also is correct.

It's a really big judgement call...Most employees you can look at and talk to for a few minutes and figure out if their full of hot air, don't know anything, or really good workers.

Usually you can tell from a few minutes of talking to them. You surely can tell after about an hour of working.

I hired a guy one time who claimed to have 2 years of experience. He said he was coming from a company that had gone out of business.
I found out why after he couldn't even get the string trimmer started, and it became obvious rather quickly that he couldn't operate any equipment.

He had a job with me for exactly 1 and a half hours.

deere615
03-18-2012, 09:47 PM
All good points guys thanks!