View Full Version : Cub Cadet Flywheel Ring Gear

03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
My neighbor asked me to take a look at his mower today.

Found the flywheel ring gear cracked and separated from the flywheel.

His mower is a Cob Cadet LT 1040

I don't know anything about these, it appears that the ring gear is not made in to the flywheel.

Can anyone tell me if &how we can replace just the ring gear?

Is there an aftermarket flywheel with the teeth made into the flywheel for this mower?

Any tips wil be greatly appreciated -

03-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Kohler engine, flywheel ring gear issue, service bulletin released. Suggest he pick the mower up from you and take it to a real lawnmower repair place that is an authorized Kohler dealer, will likely be able to get a "good will" repair of the engine even though the bulletin from the repair is a little dated now. If he still insists on having someone who "knows nothing about them" tinker with his mower, order and pay for the new flywheel and install it.

10-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I too have experienced this 'expensive' failure on a Kohler SV735-016 engine. Gently used with approx 100 hours the flywheel ring gear broke, came loose from the flywheel casting and chewed up the starter. Based on what I have seen and read online I am hesitant to replace the parts unless the problem has been resolved.

I noticed they have several different part numbers/revisions for the flywheel. Is this due to the balance or design changes?

Can you tell me more about this service bulletin please?

10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I found it...

Perhaps they got it right this time. Wonder if they'll offer any a$$istance with the cost???