PDA

View Full Version : Green Cycle CT Top Soil

Kartanimal29
03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Let me know what you guys think about there top soil. I have had very good luck with it but my buddy says that you can get a lot of weeds from it because they use compost in it. I did my back yard over last year and a few other small jobs and I never had any weeds come up. Just looking to see what everyone else has to say about it.

Smallaxe
03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
The weeds would NOT come from compost, unless the compost is garbage, in that case call it garbage, not compost... I doubt CT has only 1 kind of topsoil, even from the same area...
We have most topsoils blended by machines anymore... even the mineral bases...

Kelly's Landscaping
03-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Their top soil is great its a blend with some compost and is a nice dark soil. If you want pure black they sell just compost as well for the same price which is good for garden beds and such. But for lawns you want the top soil instead and iv probably bought 500-1000 yards worth of the stuff in the past 9 years so take that for what its worth. If your worried about weeds over crowding the new lawn first think nuke the entire area with round up a few days before and kill off the existing stuff before prepping the area. Second there are pre-emergents that allow new seed to grow like Tupersan so there are steps you can take even if the soil had weed seeds.

Grillo Services
03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Greencycle sells quality topsoil. There is about 40% compost in it but like Smallaxe mentioned above, finished compost should not contain weed seeds. The only time organic soil like this is not ideal is if the area has poor drainage because the compost will retain moisture.

http://grilloservices.com/