PDA

View Full Version : Onsite Ph tests

GWhunter
03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Does anyone use an electronic Ph tester? I know I could send in samples to Umass and they'd be more comprehensive. But I'm looking for a quick accurate Ph monitor. It'd be nice to have a idea on Ph before appling lime.

Matt

agrostis
03-16-2012, 06:56 PM
If you are going to use a handheld meter, use this - http://www.google.com/search?q=kelway&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GPCK_enUS320#hl=en&sugexp=cfis&gs_nf=1&pq=kelway&cp=8&gs_id=7&xhr=t&q=kelway+Ph+meter&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7GPCK_enUS320&oq=kelway+P&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=f&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=c7a6dd9d45cf3b87&biw=1024&bih=745
It will get you close but you still should send in a soil sample for professional analysis.

RigglePLC
03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
If you are looking for a low price. The garden store type may be adequate. Compare it with a known soil to be sure it is working to your satisfaction.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NWJAYQ/ref=asc_df_B006NWJAYQ1865448?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextagus0019651-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B006NWJAYQ

GWhunter
03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I picked up a cheapy the other day and it doesn't seem to work at all. It reads 8 no matter what it's in. I'm sure it's acidic soil since there's a bit of moss scattered around it. Lots of oak leafs were mulched into the lawn last year along with over fert. I was thinking of hitting it with fast acting lime and then pelletized. Mostlikely OS with fescue an PR.

Matt

Hineline
03-17-2012, 10:17 AM
I broke 2 of the cheapies last year trying to get it into hard soil. Make sure you use a screwdriver to loosen the ground first. I'm going with a Kelway this year.

RigglePLC
03-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Do not assume moss is a result of acid soil. That is mainly an old wives tale. Same for oak leaves causing acid soil. Perhaps you soil has been overlimed in the past to try to get rid of moss.
Most moss is a result of shade conditions.

My cheap pH meters work fairly well.

Check the pH of beer--should be mildly acid--and the same brand should not vary. The brewry is careful about that. And now that you needed it for calibration--the expense is a business expense--tax deduction.

Matter of fact, be sure to use your wife in your photographs for your sales flyers. So the cute clothes and hairdo she needs are tax write-offs. Business expense.

Let us know the acid level of your favorite brand.

Kiril
03-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a kelway, not that accurate and therefore gets little to no use.

@OP .... you need to get the soil tested to know how much and what type of lime to apply. Anything less is irresponsible and begging for trouble.

Riggle, get a calibration standard (buffer solution) if you want to check your meter.

Hineline
03-17-2012, 01:17 PM
What is the variance on the Kelway compared to a lab analysis and is that variance pretty standard meaning it's typically a few clicks lower or higher than lab results.

Kiril
03-17-2012, 01:55 PM
What is the variance on the Kelway compared to a lab analysis and is that variance pretty standard meaning it's typically a few clicks lower or higher than lab results.

I have seen as much as 1 pH unit difference.

Hineline
03-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I can't test everyone of my customers at a lab. Is there an on-site that you would recommend?

Kiril
03-17-2012, 02:34 PM
I can't test everyone of my customers at a lab. Is there an on-site that you would recommend?

That depends on how accurate you need it to be, how much money you have to burn and how much time you want to spend testing.

I use the FieldScout SoilStik (http://www.specmeters.com/nutrient-management/ph-and-ec-meters/ph/soilstik/) for a fast and dirty method that won't break the bank and produces fairly accurate results when compared to lab numbers (~ +/- 0.3 pH units). In order to use this as a fast and dirty tool, you need a core sampler and a dispenser bottle with distilled water, and obviously buffer solutions.

Hineline
03-17-2012, 02:59 PM
That depends on how accurate you need it to be, how much money you have to burn and how much time you want to spend testing.

I use the FieldScout SoilStik (http://www.specmeters.com/nutrient-management/ph-and-ec-meters/ph/soilstik/) for a fast and dirty method that won't break the bank and produces fairly accurate results when compared to lab numbers (~ +/- 0.3 pH units). In order to use this as a fast and dirty tool, you need a core sampler and a dispenser bottle with distilled water, and obviously buffer solutions.

Data hold??? How much data? I can handle 0.3 variance. I'm looking for numbers below 6 anyway. Goin shoppin.

agrostis
03-18-2012, 06:33 PM
I am going to try one of those. They look a lot more accurate than the kelway.

RigglePLC
03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
And do not forget pH papers. Old reliable technology. Inexpensive. You wet the paper with the soil--adding a bit of distilled water as needed. Watch for color change and compare color result to color chart to find pH value. Approximate.

http://www.enasco.com/product/C08834N