PDA

View Full Version : Whats been your most effective advertising?

WHIPPLE5.7
03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Please don't say word of mouth, that is not advertising. I'm talking about getting totally new customers. Myself along with almost all the other lawn guys here have gotten way too used to running ads in the newspaper. Its the most wellknown advertising source for this area and everyone does. There are two problems with that I see. One guys ad gets lost among dozens of others and also I feel there is many thousands of people who aren't even reading the paper. A couple years ago I tried some doorhangers but I ran out of time to hang them. I only got about 200-250 out and I never did get a single call from any of them. I don't really like the cost of direct mailing. Maybe I should give doorhangers another try but not sure if its worth all the walking?

CTS Lawn & Landscape
03-16-2012, 10:34 PM
I did the 'local' yellow pages in two of the areas I work in, and it worked out pretty well! Cincinnati is very broad, with many different areas in town. The Home Pages flagged me down while working and was skeptical about thinking the same thing that my name would get lost among the 100's of other lawn care co. But making it look like I only did work in that particular area, the potential customers assumed that I lived and only worked in that area of town. The one in one of my areas got me 2-4 big landscape jobs, no mowing. The other landed a bunch! (This area they know how to handle their money and not live outside their means). And I know you don't want to hear it but yes that led to word of mouth. I've done the same thing you have.. door flyers. Ran out of time and handed out 300-400+ and maybe only one two calls...

Good luck! But check out the Local Home Pages Yellow book. Like I said more personal for the local area and less Competition, and if you go the extra amount and make you stand out more than the others ppl will notice

WHIPPLE5.7
03-16-2012, 10:55 PM
We have a total of 4 phonebooks that hit this area and I went with the one that gets used by far the most. I got a small ad like several lawn guys. There are a few in there who have big ads but it was kinda out of my price range plus I didn't know if it would do much.

ochosdaddy
03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
#1, do you have a marketing plan? If not, the majority of your advertising is useless. Prepare a marketing plan and stick with it. It'll make any and all advertising you do more effective. Marketing isn't a couple month deal any successful landscape business does in late winter/early spring. Rather it's a thing that happens every day of the year.

#2, I've found if you're going to be in the yellow pages, go big. Very few, and I mean very few will call off a dinky display ad. Even with a nice big ad, be prepared to field a lot of calls about anything and everything. Do you have the capability to handle the flood of calls? If not, then it's worthless to spend the money to generate a lot of hot leads and allow them to cool off because of a delayed response.

#3, I've also found newspaper classified advertising near worthless. You'll get a lot of price shoppers. Unless you're building your business model on Cheap! Cheap!, forget the newspaper.

#4, What do you mean word of mouth isn't advertising? IT IS! AND it's the most effective form of advertising. Have you not experienced this? Ask your current clients to refer you to their friends. If they aren't willing, you'll want to find out why - therein lays a problem!

#5, internet! Use it, get listed with Google. It's free (unlike all the internet listing crap those telephone directories sell you). I've found more people find me on my website through Google than any other source. There are many other free listing deals on the internet, load up on them all.

#6, Keep track of how effective your advertising is. This should be all part of your marketing plan, measuring your successes and failures. Once you know what works best for you, that's where you'll know to spend more money on. Perhaps what advertising you thought would work best doesn't, but you'll never know unless you ask all contacts how they learned about you!

#7, www.tightwadmarketing.com I assume this site is still up. Read through it, it contains lots of useful info for free.

GMLC
03-17-2012, 08:11 AM
I have mentioned this before on here. Its marketing 101, you must remember the rule of 13. It can take up to 13 views before a prospect even reads your ad! This doesn't mean you just put out door hangers 13 times. There is not one form of advertisement that works alone, they all work together. You need to have a plan! Here are just some examples I use.

1: Logo.
2: Ad in local paper running all year.
3: Business cards.(Hand out and hang at town hot spots)
4: Uniforms.
5: Truck lettering.
6: Trailer lettering.
7: Door Hangers.
8: Direct mail(post cards or introduction letters)
9: Letter head on everything you mail.
10: Flyer's(Hand out and hang in town hot spots)
11: Website.
12: Google, Yahoo, Bing places/maps presence. Craigslist in some areas.
13: Signs that can be stuck in the ground when your truck and trailer cant be seen.
14: And the most important, NETWORKING, get active in your community so everyone knows who you are and what you do!

I know some of these CAN be expensive but many are FREE or can be made with microsoft office or similar programs!
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Word of mouth for me I dont do no advertising only have the listing in the phone book
I have more work I can handle at times
We use to do a lot back in the 80s but we made are name and we are well known in my area
But these days more new people moving in and looking more on the internet for contactors So thought about running ads on facebook site like I need more work aready run 6-7 days a week soon to be 12 hr days Though on facebook might catch some new people

White Gardens
03-17-2012, 08:43 AM
The most effective advertising we have done is putting a coupon/ad in a local magazine that goes out quarterly.

It gets mailed out to over 50,000 homes in the area. Each run we get 1-2 quality clients that are potential long-term clients.

Yellow pages sucked for us. Facebook page has helped. Next is the web-site which should be going up in the next 3-4 weeks.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-17-2012, 09:48 AM
1. Website
2. T-shirts/ uniforms (don't clutter up the back).
3. Business cards to people that are interested.
4. My new cart is magnetic so I got magnetic letters from staples to write my company's name on both sides of the cart.
5. NEWSPAPER!!!!!

WHIPPLE5.7
03-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, you all make some very good points. My current situation is that I was in this business for 3 years and got out for over a year to go to work somewhere else. That job wasn't even close to all it was promised to be so I've decided to do this again. In the past I have had customers try to get me more business by word of mouth but the people they try to line me up with always seem to have issues like they don't want to pay for services or something like that. My customers tried but the people they know just didn't pan out. I'm running ads in the paper now and have signs on my truck. I'm looking at doing some T-shirts with logos and maybe some yards signs too. This year I can't take on too much work because I'm working with an injury I recieved days before I started up again. The injury will likely require surgery but I'd like to postpone it until late fall so I can maintain any and work that I do have. I think if I end the year on a good note with a decent amount of work I'll plan on really ramping up the advertising over the winter and bringing a guy to help by next March. Image says alot and I failed a bit at that with my first go around. There are way more lawn guys around here now than when I started a couple years back but most of them are dirty looking, smoking cigs, tattoo's all over, trucks are falling apart, etc. Many people don't want that kind of image around their place. I've made a good effort to have more of presentable image this time. I'd be happy with only about 20-25 mowing accounts this year since I'm hurt so I hope I can get that many.

USAProLawnCare
03-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm new so I can't give you an accurate response as far as effectiveness goes, but I too am using the Yellow Pages for a couple of reasons. I live in a mountain community with a LOT of older retired people who PROBABLY don't use the internet. Also, (my ad doesn't start til June so I can't be completely sure until then) as long as nobody else changed their ads, I am the ONLY landscape maintenance company in my area with a color ad w/white background. I am running a "half business card" sized ad for only 34.50 a month.. Again, full color, logo, and white background to help it stand out more.. One yard will more than cover that ad.. something to consider.

****SORRY DIDN'T SEE THAT YOU ALREADY POSTED AN AD IN THE BOOK****

205mx
03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I have a bachelors in marketing. Did not teach me anything i couldnt learn by reading a few books. Check out guerrilla marketing. forgot the authors name. Check out some dave ramsey books. I have picked up 13 lawns since march 12th. I wish i could broad cast my secrets. but i cant :)

GMLC
03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I have a bachelors in marketing. Did not teach me anything i couldnt learn by reading a few books. Check out guerrilla marketing. forgot the authors name. Check out some dave ramsey books. I have picked up 13 lawns since march 12th. I wish i could broad cast my secrets. but i cant :)

I live by the Guerrilla Marketing series of books! That's where I got all my ideas and made my marketing plan. A must read for anyone in business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poorboy's landscaping
03-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I can't add much hear but that I have have grow from a word of mouth. I now will be looking into getting name out there more but I'm a believer in if you make a good rep for yourself then U will be good to go as long as you keep doing what you do.

bpowell
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
To expand your online presence and get your work in front of homeowners in your area looking for ideas...check out the YardShare.com Yard Expert Membership. More info here. (http://www.yardshare.com/landscape-advertising.php)

On YardShare, the past work in your portfolio is what attracts homeowners to your business...not who has the boldest text or biggest logo in the yellow pages.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Bryan

CTS Lawn & Landscape
03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
http://www.facebook.com/martygrunderinc

Here is another good read!

I've seen him at seminars, great speaker and full of marketing knowledge

ochosdaddy
03-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Check out guerrilla marketing. forgot the authors name.

Jay Conrad Levinston.

http://www.gmarketing.com/

corey4671
03-20-2012, 12:19 AM
This year is off to a better start than any year I can remember. Here is basically what I am doing advertising-wise
I am advertising with a local website that promotes locally owned businesses. this site is pulling in about 28k visitors per month and their Facebook pages is averaging close to 70k views per month.
I have my own website and Facebook page for my business. Go ahead and laugh. It works. I've recently begun to use youtube more and more. have some ideas for expanding the youtube presence, just have to set aside a little time to get it done. Videos are posted on the website and the Facebook page.
I also recently began using a text messaging service where folks can text THEYARDBOY to the number 90210 on their mobile phone. When they do so, they receive a digital business card with all my contact information and I intend to make a youtube video where I personally greet them that will be included with this digital business card. I have a sign on the back of my trucks and trailers that says text THEYARDBOY to 90210. It amazing how many people do this when they are sitting behind me in traffic!
I am using all these means of advertising and canceling all my newspaper and tv ads.

Roger
03-20-2012, 07:21 AM
First, to discount word-of-mouth as not being advertising is to discard one of your most important avenues to get new clients. If somebody is pleased with your services, they will tell others. I have picked up many new clients this way.

Second, every finished job is better than any marketing brochure you write. It is there for everybody to see. If a potential clients sees what they like, they will seek you out. The best part about this advertising, the potential clients are in the same neighborhood. There is no need to repeat the value of clustered customers. Some of my long-term clients are those who stopped, "... make my yard look just like this...." Of course, that is not possible, but they liked what they saw, and sought me out, not the reverse.

Third, business cards are the least expensive piece you can have. Remember, you are marketing 24/7/365. If you don't have a supply of business cards on you at all times, in all places, shame on you. If ANYBODY expresses the least bit of interest in what I do, a business card is in their hands before we separate. I have had people call me two and three years later, still having that card in their hands.

Fourth, sell your person first. A customer's property may be the most valuable asset they posses. Having another party on their property to do work is based upon a trust relationship. If you are unable to convey a good message by your person, that trust relationship is difficult to establish. As we have all said (and repeated in this thread), some clients are elderly. They know leeches are waiting in the wings to take advantage of them, or, worse yet, setting them up for some ill-will. I've read too many stories about "the landscaper used his presence on the property to scout out the house and people, then returned later to do ....."

Fifth, attempt to establish a conversational relationship with potential customers in the neighborhood you work. It may be next door, across the street, or even a wave of others driving by. I've been working in a plan the past couple of days, cleanup, edging, mulching, etc, a plan I've worked for many years. I was thinking about it yesterday -- people in four of five cars driving by gave me a wave. I've made a conscience effort to establish something with many of them, if only a wave. Many of those four I don't even know a name, but that doesn't matter. When they come seeking me, we can exchange names then. This is how clustering works.

I spent $18 on advertising 16 years ago, nothing since. For the past 15 years, I've always had more work than I could handle. I have never been in a position where I needed to expand 50% in one year, however. The ideas I gave above are for long-term stability, rather than quick ramp-up situations.

lawnkingforever
03-20-2012, 08:06 AM
I agree with you Roger. I built my customer base over a period time with minimal advertising costs. Word of mouth and just being out working is the most effective way of building a profitable and tight route.

Roger, when are you going to start mowing? I am shooting for April 2nd. I have started to see the mowing rigs out up here in the northern suburbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
03-20-2012, 08:23 AM
lawnking, ... I intend to start with a couple of yard tomorrow. Those properties that had proper care in late Nov 2011, or early Dec 2011, are greening up and growing nicely. I expect all properties to be worked into the schedule over the next two weeks.

I am finishing up a large cleanup and mulching job today. Mowers are ready to go. I think I have all the pieces in place.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Let me clarily on the word of mouth. I know its good for business BUT, I was out of this business for a year and a half and I'm starting over TOTALLY NEW again with ZERO CURRENT customers. Thats why I was looking for methods that do not include word of mouth. Word of mouth is for when you are trying to expand on a current customer base, not build from scratch. If a new **** opens down the street and nobody knows them how is their first customers that they ever get going to be based on word of mouth? Nobody knows them yet, get it.

GMLC
03-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Let me clarily on the word of mouth. I know its good for business BUT, I was out of this business for a year and a half and I'm starting over TOTALLY NEW again with ZERO CURRENT customers. Thats why I was looking for methods that do not include word of mouth. Word of mouth is for when you are trying to expand on a current customer base, not build from scratch. If a new **** opens down the street and nobody knows them how is their first customers that they ever get going to be based on word of mouth? Nobody knows them yet, get it.

You don't need customers to NETWORK and spread the word about your business. Word of mouth is FREE.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Whipple..., your most obvious approach is to make contact with every former customer, "... out for awhile, but now back ... looking to build a new customer base ... if you know anybody ...." This is an easy first step to get your name back out in circulation, yes, "word of mouth." Any contact should not include a plea for "come back to me," but rather to make clear you are rebuilding a base of customers. If they liked you, they may go out of their way to get you in contact with potential clients.

If you didn't leave the marketplace a couple of years ago on good terms, then this step of making contact is not workable.

Perhaps a more basic question (realizing not the topic of the thread): If lawn services was not a good path two years(?) ago, why is it a good path to follow now? What has changed for you to try to reenter? If the answer is, "default," then you need to take time to reflect on a bigger picture.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Roger, basically what happened to make me get out in the first place was combination of problems that kind of all came about at once and I felt defeated. Now that I've had a chance to regroup and look at the mistakes I made I'm using my prior failure as a hard lesson learned. All in a short period of time a had multiple equipment/truck/trailer issues, I lost 12 of my customer base in one summer due to deaths, nursing home check-in, kids moving back home and they do the work, etc. I didn't ever have much for a business plan from the start and I failed to put the proper amount of effort into it. I also felt defeated because I felt overwhelmed by how many new lawnguys were coming in and taking work, instead of stepping up my game I folded. I do like doing lawn work and I'm good at it. Its not that this was the wrong path for me, its more that I didn't deal with problems the way I should have and I didn't put the effort into it I should have. I've spent the last year and a half realizing the mistakes I've made and now I'm ready to do something about it. I've decided to come back to this line of work because I truly liked it much better than the job I was in. At my job I felt like my knowledge and skills were going to waste because there was very little for me to do there. Many people like jobs where not much is going on but the boredom was too much for me. I really enjoy showing up at a place that didn't get any kind of fall cleanup and working my majic in the spring. The customers are blown away by the results.

Fine Gardens Landscaping
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Phone book advertising worked well in the 90's and early 2000's. It has since become an outdated ineffective advertising technique in my experience. An earlier poster mentioned that unless you get a huge ad it's not worth it. It could be that a huge ad will get you the calls. I'd recommend taking that money you would be spending on that huge ad and use it on other marketing techniques like having a strong presence on the internet. If your company could be one of the first to pop up when somebody typed lawn maintenance in their search bar that should be worth more than that big phone book ad.

corey4671
03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Just finished my youtube video greeting this afternoon. Now when folks text THEYARDBOY to 90210, they'll receive a text message with my name, number, website AND the link to the video where I introduce myself to them. Someone can be sitting in traffic behind me and get a digital business card right there on their phone and "meet" me! Go ahead...try it! you know you want to! :)

WHIPPLE5.7
03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Thats pretty cool. How do you setup that texting option?

Fine Gardens Landscaping
03-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Just finished my youtube video greeting this afternoon. Now when folks text THEYARDBOY to 90210, they'll receive a text message with my name, number, website AND the link to the video where I introduce myself to them. Someone can be sitting in traffic behind me and get a digital business card right there on their phone and "meet" me! Go ahead...try it! you know you want to! :)

Cool, checked out your introduction video and you did a nice job with that. How's business there in TN?

corey4671
03-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Just sent you a PM about the text marketing Whipplies

Fine Gardens, business is booming where I am. I'm actually turning down work right now. Started mowing about the third week of February and have not let up since! It's great! Last year, we were still having snow in the middle of March and we CERTAINLY weren't having 80 degree days and working in shorts in March!

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Craigslist.org is the best advertisement I have had.

AlohaMowing
03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I think the best bang for the buck on advertising is good magnetic signs on the sides of a truck that looks like a professional landscaper would use. (A sign on a beater full of trash unrelated to lawn care would probably drive away potential customers.) For a terrific value on a professional design, I like Judy at http://www.zibbet.com/PortableGraffitiGraphics/section/car-door-magnets. Then every time your truck is parked--on a job, at the grocery store, at Home Depot--you are advertising with no sweat and no additional expense. Be prepared with business cards and/or flyers to hand to the people who see the sign and stop you. Judy can design your business cards and flyers, too.

KrayzKajun
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM

Thts awesome. Could you send me a lil info on ths?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fine Gardens Landscaping
03-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Craigslist gets you calls, but are they from customers that are willing to pay for quality. I've been under the impression that people who look for stuff on CL are cheap but I have not tried it so I really can't say for sure.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Craigslist has been the most effective for me. Yellowbook does work because older folks like to use them.

mikesturf
03-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Hang out by the fertilizer section of Home Depot or Lowes and pass out business cards...with Scott's step #1 selling at $60/40 pound bag.

ptjackson
03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
When I did research for my company I found that yellow pages cost about $29 per call once you take the cost of the ad and divide by the number of calls you get. Facebook I think is a good word of mouth advertising even if you have zero customers most certainly you have some friends :)

Craigslist is also good free advertising but you get lost pretty soon in the shuffle, it irritates me that people post the same thing over and over. That's one reason I built Servicevines.com it's free to list your services, upload some pictures and people can search based on location and service offered. Then if customers post jobs they need done you can see them and bid ONLY if you want to.

Sorry for the "ad" I really want to make a site people like you all WANT to use, so that you can spend your time doing what you do best not worry about advertising.

SycamoreLawn
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Just sent you a PM about the text marketing Whipplies

Fine Gardens, business is booming where I am. I'm actually turning down work right now. Started mowing about the third week of February and have not let up since! It's great! Last year, we were still having snow in the middle of March and we CERTAINLY weren't having 80 degree days and working in shorts in March!

I to would like a pm of this texting ordeal if possable, sounds really neat

All_Toro_4ME
03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Came across this recently, seems to return a pretty good yield. Both options will cost you some money, but it'll definately get your name in front of thousands of people.

- Buy an ad with Facebook. They will send it to all of the users in the areas you specify. I'm not referring to making a post on your wall. There's a separate section for businesses and advertising on FB.

-Contact Groupon and have some initial offer for first time, new customers. They send out texts/emails everyday on deals to their users that have their app downloaded. You will have a lot of exposure in either case.

corey4671
03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I to would like a pm of this texting ordeal if possable, sounds really neat

you don't have enough posts yet for PM's...I think you need 5 posts to enable PM's. Get your post count up and I'll send you some info!

knox gsl
03-28-2012, 01:09 AM
you don't have enough posts yet for PM's...I think you need 5 posts to enable PM's. Get your post count up and I'll send you some info!

Need 10 post to PM. Will you send me some info on the text marketing and does the marketing firm provide the contact list?
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
03-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Need 10 post to PM. Will you send me some info on the text marketing and does the marketing firm provide the contact list?
Posted via Mobile Device
My bad. Thanks for the clarification. Pm sent
Posted via Mobile Device

jbpo
03-29-2012, 01:56 AM
corey4671,
can i get some more info on this please. i haven't seen anyone do this in my area and would like to give it a shot.

Bears Lawn Service
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
My bad. Thanks for the clarification. Pm sent
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd like some info on this too sounds really cool

headz77
04-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Craigslist- by far.

corey4671
04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
The text marketing has really been kicking here of late. Got some vinyl lettering for my truck windows ordered that should be ready this week plus some new yard signs that tell folks to text theyardboy to 90210. four new accounts this month that are direct results of people seeing the bumper sticker on The back of my trailer while sitting in traffic that directs them to text theyardboy to 90210
Posted via Mobile Device

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-23-2012, 08:37 PM
The text marketing has really been kicking here of late. Got some vinyl lettering for my truck windows ordered that should be ready this week plus some new yard signs that tell folks to text theyardboy to 90210. four new accounts this month that are direct results of people seeing the bumper sticker on The back of my trailer while sitting in traffic that directs them to text theyardboy to 90210
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a good way to get some attention. :weightlifter:

arninglawns
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
These days, you're better off spending your time developing your online presence. You can probably get more calls than you can handle by getting to the top of the Google search results for your area. I had to hire an office assistant this year, just to help me set up all our calls we're getting through my website (http://www.arninglawns.com) and place pages (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&prmdo=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=lawn+care+77546&fb=1&gl=us&hq=lawn+care&hnear=0x86409adac609ad1b:0x20d2c57e302da25f,Friendswood,+TX+77546&cid=15603940222258150244)

Champion-Lawn
04-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Getting referrals from current clients in a systematic way can really do wonders for an advertising budget. Basically turn your best customers into your valued sales reps, and do not settle for passive referrals, ASK for them. Four easy steps to getting referrals:
1. Tell your best customers you enjoy doing business with them more than any other cutomers you work with and probably associate with other people like themselves who have similar values and qualities.
2. Tell them that since they obviously know the exact people you would prefer to work with, you'd like to extend to them the opportunity of referring their trusted associates to you and you would rather have their referrals to any other source of customers.
3. Then help your referree see a clear idea of who in their lives could benefit naturally and effectively from your services. Tell them what kind or person or business it might be, what part of town they are in, and why they would benefit by doing business with you.
4. Extend a risk free totally obligation free sales offer. An offer to willingly meet with, review, advise, and/or talk to anyone important to your referee, as a service to them. Otherwise consult with the referee's referral without expectation of a sale, so you will be seen as a valuable expert they are comfortable to put their friends in touch with.

Cheers!

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Getting referrals from current clients in a systematic way can really do wonders for an advertising budget. Basically turn your best customers into your valued sales reps, and do not settle for passive referrals, ASK for them. Four easy steps to getting referrals:
1. Tell your best customers you enjoy doing business with them more than any other cutomers you work with and probably associate with other people like themselves who have similar values and qualities.
2. Tell them that since they obviously know the exact people you would prefer to work with, you'd like to extend to them the opportunity of referring their trusted associates to you and you would rather have their referrals to any other source of customers.
3. Then help your referree see a clear idea of who in their lives could benefit naturally and effectively from your services. Tell them what kind or person or business it might be, what part of town they are in, and why they would benefit by doing business with you.
4. Extend a risk free totally obligation free sales offer. An offer to willingly meet with, review, advise, and/or talk to anyone important to your referee, as a service to them. Otherwise consult with the referee's referral without expectation of a sale, so you will be seen as a valuable expert they are comfortable to put their friends in touch with.

Cheers!

This is a very valid point.

corey4671
04-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Ducke
04-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Not a lot I can add to this thread other then my best results was on Kijiji Classifieds and truck signage I also put on each side of my truck business card holders that are self serve they work awesome. I also do the door to door and flyers networking with local business associations, Tee shirts , lawn signs, post cards and local bulletin boards never past one with out pinning up a few cards.Then there face book twitter and my website. but the best is quality work.

corey4671
04-25-2012, 11:52 PM
new vinyl on the truck today

corey4671
05-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Had a guy at the gas station today ask what was up with the whole text theyardboy to 90210. once if actually DID it, he was sold. Translated, new customer today! It's different and sparks the interest of people. It's all about setting yourself apart from the crowd!
Posted via Mobile Device

quadsport09
05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Once I get 10 posts I'd really appreciate a PM about that text marketing , I haven't seen it at all in my area and I think it would work real well.

corey4671
05-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Once I get 10 posts I'd really appreciate a PM about that text marketing , I haven't seen it at all in my area and I think it would work real well.

Once you get up to that point just send me a message and I'll reply back to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Stopped in to grab some lunch today at subway....two more folks texted in theyardboy to 90210. one called me almost instantly. The other emailed me after watching the video that folks get when they text in. Guys, this is crazy. The only answer I have is that it is something that folks have never seen before and they just do it out of curiosity. The best part is, even when they text in, even out of curiosity, many times the information they get back is selling them on my service!
Posted via Mobile Device

USAProLawnCare
05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Ok I finally decided to try it... I've thought it was interesting from the time you decided to set it up, but never checked it out.. Its pretty sweet man.. Nice video message as well. So exactly how many customers have you picked up so far from it?

USAProLawnCare
05-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Also, I hate to bug you, because I know a lot of people have asked you already, but can you send me a PM with a link or something? I've googled it and come across a couple of things but can't be sure its the same thing you are doing... Thanks in advance.

corey4671
05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Just as quick as I get home I'll send you the link. For some reason my phone isn't letting me do it. You're not bothering me at all! I'm glad to share it cause it WORKS. I know of at least four new accounts that are a direct result of this campaign this spring. I've only had the lettering on for a few weeks so maybe the best is yet to come. I can tell you this. I know close to 100 have texted in since I started with it back in late December. I didn't really start pushing it til about 8 weeks ago because I honestly just didn't realize how effective it was going to be
Posted via Mobile Device

USAProLawnCare
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Cool thanks Corey. Also just for my info let me know how many customers you have actually obtained if you will.

360 Lawn Service
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I am also interested in info on the text marketing. PM would be great.
Thanks
QUOTE=corey4671;4405334]Stopped in to grab some lunch today at subway....two more folks texted in theyardboy to 90210. one called me almost instantly. The other emailed me after watching the video that folks get when they text in. Guys, this is crazy. The only answer I have is that it is something that folks have never seen before and they just do it out of curiosity. The best part is, even when they text in, even out of curiosity, many times the information they get back is selling them on my service!
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

Bunton Guy
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
What kind of clients are you gaining from this text marketing? Landscape installation,hardscapes,irrigation? Or just weekly cuts and please mow when im out of town kind of jobs?

corey4671
05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Every client so far has been a weekly account.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcatrg
11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Alright, I'm researching marketing today for my lawn maintenance and spray business. I remembered reading this thread a few months ago when I first started thinking about jumping off. I've been doing dirt work for several years sold all my heavy equipment and got my spray license.
In the dirt business, I've worked for almost all the same guys for several years, no need to advertise. Looks like with the lawn business I will have to be a little more aggressive with advertising.

Really intrigued by the text messaging deal but so many companies offering the service. Corey, which company did you end up going with?

Looks like prices range from $10.00 per month up to a couple hundred from the various companies.