PDA

View Full Version : Correct plugging pattern

GWhunter
03-17-2012, 09:30 AM
I've been renting a plugger for a few accounts over the last couple of years. Seems to yeild mixed results at times. My question to the vets is about technique and pattern. I generally make two passes over an area in opposite directions. I'm thinking that I should make more passes in even more opposing directions.

I've been renting a Classen unit and penetration varies by moisture content.
The holes seem to fill in real fast and the plugs are gone in about two weeks.
Last year I mixed it up a bit, I plugged some, dethatched some and slice seeded some. I was not impressed with the slice seeder since I hear you guys recommend them so highly.

The dethatcher was pretty impressive but way more work than I anticipated.
I feel the plugger would work more consistantly with more holes closer together. Maybe I answered my own question here but your thought are welcome and appreciated.

Matt

RigglePLC
03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Good questions, Matt! The questions and controversy remain. Are you willing to try the three methods side by side on the same lawn for comparison?

So you are not in favor of dethatching because of the high labor requirement?

Do you mean bluegrass lawns? Does the time of year have any effect?

What was wrong with the slice-seeder? Or were the results disappointing? Which was easier to sell and which resulted in the most customer satisfaction?

GWhunter
03-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I should have clarified my statements a bit. One lawn had excesive thatch and after dethatching the soil was compacted. The slice seeder results weren't very good. The seed was no better placed than a broadcast spreader.

The dethaching was quite a learning expericence. I could not beleive how much thatch came up. But it too a long time to pick it all up. I then plugged it and overseeded. The lawns are mostly a mix of KBG,PR,CF.

Plugging seemed to have the biggest noticable impact. I will definatly try all three again as needed.

Exact Rototilling
03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
This issue has been discussed and debated here back and fourth for some time...if in fact .....aeration can provide a good seed bed. I think it can. Here is a video from just the other day I did to show the plug count difference between reciprocating and rolling tine aerators. I have done over seeding using this method with decent results. I typically do 4 passes with the Plugr 850 and depending on conditions I will adjust the tines to not go as deeply. To match the dirt soil volume with a rolling tine aerator you will need to do 6 to 7 passes maybe 8 to match the dirt volume. The other advantage is the reciprocating aerators tend to pop the plug further up toward the tops of the blades of grass making it more available for covering seed etc. If the are is very thin or thin this is less of factor.

The problem is if you have “too much thatch” and you are running Delta blades into the turf it will kick up a fair amount of thatch and debris. I learned my lesson on this and I will do a few test areas with my Blue Bird S22 seeder before I give a final quote. Having to contend with excessive thatch while seeding can be very labor intensive. :hammerhead:

bUl-OSZQLaY

edit***

The other factoid is at least with a reciprocating Plugr Hydro 850/855 you can used the hydro as a brake or accelerator to alter your fore and aft pattern can vary slightly so the cris cross method is not needed. A rolling tine unit could in fact be plugging nearly the same holes on a back and forth pass like in the video. Just to be clear that did not happen in the video. The rolling tine plugging holes are clear in the turf. Evidence of 4 passes.

It's just a better renovation tool IMHO. :)

GWhunter
03-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Wow, the results of they hydro plugger are amazing by comparison. Does anyone know of a hydro plugger rental place in my area? Anyone local with one? I know spring plugging is not popular but some of the compacted area's need it. Will aerating help with deep root growth and development?

Matt

teye69
03-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I need help. I bought a Ryan Lawnaire V aerator 2006. In great shape. Engine runs fine. Aerator moves great and the tines roll well. It will not leave plugs. I have sharpened the tines, I have cleaned the tines with a brush. It weights penalty and I even filled the roller with water plus put a 40 pound bag of sand on the aerator and still no plugs. It makes some nice 3 inch holes but will not leaver plugs. I have some photos. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

R & R Yard Designs
03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Are the cores open. Of full of crappy dirt
Posted via Mobile Device

teye69
03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
I need help. I bought a Ryan Lawnaire V aerator 2006. In great shape. Engine runs fine. Aerator moves great and the tines roll well. It will not leave plugs. I have sharpened the tines, I have cleaned the tines with a brush. It weights penalty and I even filled the roller with water plus put a 40 pound bag of sand on the aerator and still no plugs. I have some photos. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

GWhunter
03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
I need help. I bought a Ryan Lawnaire V aerator 2006. In great shape. Engine runs fine. Aerator moves great and the tines roll well. It will not leave plugs. I have sharpened the tines, I have cleaned the tines with a brush. It weights penalty and I even filled the roller with water plus put a 40 pound bag of sand on the aerator and still no plugs. I have some photos. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Stop hijacking other's threads. If you've got an issue start your own thread.
Second thread in less than a week.:hammerhead:

teye69
03-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Anything you say sweet pea. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch.
I did not understand how to start a new thread but again thanks for the help.
Now be a big girl and wipe your nose and carry on.

GWhunter
03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Anything you say sweet pea. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch.
I did not understand how to start a new thread but again thanks for the help.
Now be a big girl and wipe your nose and carry on.

OK ******, you can figure out how to post on others threads but not start your own. Well no wonder your to stupid to figure your plugger out. Good luck with Corky Thatchers Lawn Care Service. I'm sure you'll be real successful.

:laugh: