PDA

View Full Version : Choke knob comes off

hdtvluvr
03-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Sometimes the choke knob pulls off the cable. The cable end is knurled and the knob is pressure fit. Is there a replacement knob or a fix for this one? I've tried adding 2 or 3 pieces of copper wire strands and forcing the knob on but that doesn't work for long.

pugs
03-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Sometimes the choke knob pulls off the cable. The cable end is knurled and the knob is pressure fit. Is there a replacement knob or a fix for this one? I've tried adding 2 or 3 pieces of copper wire strands and forcing the knob on but that doesn't work for long.

The fix is a new choke cable.

Restrorob
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Then keep the new one spray lubed along with the throttle cable.

fixer67
03-17-2012, 07:11 PM
There is a "fix" for this. Get a threaded rod coupling. You pick what size you wait (1/4-5/16-3/8). Drill a hole in the side of it in the middle. Drill the hole the size of the shaft the knob went on. Get two Allen set screws to fit the threaded rod coupling you got. Slide the shaft into the hole you drilled and tighted the set screws from both sides. You only need to drill half way though the threaded rod coupling. It works great. Ihave doen it more than a few times. I had one man mess up 4 or 5 chokes cables and I told him I could make a handle if he wanted me to. I did and it has not came off in 5 years.

fixer67
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
It works for more than just choke cables. This is at my basement door. The handle went missing and this was a quick fix. I tried to find a replacement handle but nothing at any of the hardward stores would fit

hdtvluvr
03-17-2012, 09:01 PM
There is a "fix" for this. Get a threaded rod coupling. You pick what size you wait (1/4-5/16-3/8). Drill a hole in the side of it in the middle. Drill the hole the size of the shaft the knob went on. Get two Allen set screws to fit the threaded rod coupling you got. Slide the shaft into the hole you drilled and tighted the set screws from both sides. You only need to drill half way though the threaded rod coupling. It works great. Ihave doen it more than a few times. I had one man mess up 4 or 5 chokes cables and I told him I could make a handle if he wanted me to. I did and it has not came off in 5 years.

Perfect! I knew others have had this problem.

hdtvluvr
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Then keep the new one spray lubed along with the throttle cable.

I've been using Fluid Film but I must not be getting much in the cable sheath. There's not much extra room. Back in my motorcycle days I had a can of lube that had a long metal "needle" about 4 inches long. Don't have that now.

How does everyone else do it?

hdtvluvr
04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the coupler idea. Here are some photos. It works great.

rlitman
04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
There is a "fix" for this. Get a threaded rod coupling. . . Slide the shaft into the hole you drilled and tighted the set screws from both sides.

That is freaking genius.

If you go to a bicycle shop, they'll have a replacement cable housing that they can cut to length, used for bike brakes. The good ones have a teflon liner sleeve. That makes things much smoother.
It still doesn't hurt to spray a lube inside though, and lube the cable first, just for corrosion protection.

BigFish
04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Way cool idea, Fixer!

3238DPW
08-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I just came across this thread. My guy at the repair shop said to me when he saw mine come off "Let me show you how to fix that." He took a butane torch and heated the knurled part the plastic knob fits on to. Next pushed the knob on. He said let it cool and you will be good to go. It hasn't come off in two and a half years Thumbs UpThumbs Up