PDA

View Full Version : What to charge???? Arborvite removal and planting

Kriz2ooo
03-18-2012, 12:48 PM
I have a bid to grind down 6 flush cut arborvite stumps and replant 6 new plants at 5-6' tall.

Materials are provided by customer and will be delivered.

I have to rent a Vermeer 252 stump grinder at $282.00/ day with tax.
I must pick up and return the machine.

I'm not interested in subbing out the grinding as I need the machine for multiple stumps at my property that day as well.

What should I charge for labor to grind the 6 stumps (8" wide) and plant the six new plants?

This is right by the road therefore access is a non-issue.

Any help is much appreciated!!!!

s-lc
03-18-2012, 12:57 PM
this is what i would do...

first of all, the cost to rent the machine is automatically included in the price/bill.

you mentioned that the customer is providing the plants. what about fertilizer, manure, pete moss, etc...?

then i would just figure out how long the job would take and charge my regular hourly rate.

for example...if the job would take 4 hours, i charge $25 an hour for labor.

thats $100 for labor plus the 282 for the machine rental. i would give the customer an estimate of $380-400. i always like to give a slightly higher estimate then what i figure so the customer is happy when it comes in "under budget"

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-18-2012, 09:10 PM
If the customer wants new shrubs planted back same spot you better check size of the new pots and grind the stumps deep at least 8'' deeper then the depth you be planting
I would bring in new top soil to put around the new shrubs

Kriz2ooo
03-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Got the job, thanks for the input snyder!
S-lc if i did the job for $400.00 I would lose money! I dont lowball...

Runner
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
there is NO way i would rent that stump grinder for 240 bucks. I could hire someone to do it for that, - probably less.

grandview (2006)
03-24-2012, 09:58 PM
there is NO way i would rent that stump grinder for 240 bucks. I could hire someone to do it for that, - probably less.

That is true,and depending on how far they are spaced ,I would grind the whole length of the bed to get rid of any roots and soften up the soil to replant the new ones.

phillie
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM

Ya know doubt... Must be a lot higher to rent stuff in Conn. I would think that for just the job not including your property you could get them stumps ground in less than 4 hrs rental. Depending on how far away the job is from the rental place.

dgw
03-24-2012, 10:06 PM

agree

the guy I use (legit) would be 150 tops

and make sure to integrate your new soil with the current on site soil

you dont want your root system staying in the new soil

Kriz2ooo
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the input guys. The grinding took 20 mins in and out tops. I needed the grinder or the rest if the day on other jobs that why I rented. I was quoted $100.00 from a guy to do it for me. If it werent for the other jobs I would have subbed it out no question.