PDA

View Full Version : Bed edging, refining and reshaping as a niche stand alone service?

Exact Rototilling
03-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Okay.....I do power blade edging [side walks and driveways] as a niche service but now Iím considering adding bed edging, redefining and reshaping and bed cultivation [think mantis tiller] as a niche service.

However I am just NOT set up to do any real quantity of haul off or haul in of material other than say pre bagged product.

I am considering getting the ECHO PAS Ė280 anyhow as a power head back up to my PAS-265, however I hear the bed redefining attachment is a clog fest in damp conditions.....?

Any input appreciated....? :waving:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
If you going get in that type of business dont go cheap get something that doesnt take much effort to run
Best thing I seen and I bought one is a Turf Teq bed edge groomer bed maker its a walk behind Its so fast you wont belive ur eyes when the job is done

larryinalabama
03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
When I started my buiiness I bought a Brown bed edger for a good deal. I can say with the exception of my own customers and personal use I havend made anything off it. The good part is its likley worth more than I paid for it. I bought a stump grinding rotor that works ok for small stumps.
If what your talking about is a attachment similar to the Stihl Kombi I would purchase one. I wouldnt invest 700$ for a stand alone unit.

Alaways enjouy your post seems were like minded.

KrayzKajun
03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Give me my echo stick edger and a spade. Ill cut a bed edge tht no machine could compete with.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
03-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Give me my echo stick edger and a spade. Ill cut a bed edge tht no machine could compete with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Il just have to differ in opinions on that. The Brown puliverioses the dirt and theres nothing lef but a little raking then mulch. I can eaisly cut and rake bed lines in 20 minutes that would take a real hard day manually and they would look better.

Im with Exact still trying to figure out how to make money at it.

hackitdown
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
I have to say that around here, edging is really only done prior to mulching. Edging makes such a mess (especially if you use a machine) that mulching after seems like a no-brainer. That said, an edging combined with mulching business would be a winner.

BTW, my echo BDR was an excellent investment. Expensive for what they give you, but a great deal based on the productivity that thing puts out. Sure it can clog in rainy conditions, but so do my boots. As does my spade. It is much better than a shovel, regardless.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I differ in opinions on you I use to do them with a spade
Bought a Brown that was easier but still work
My Turf Teq so much easier Say takes you 1 hr with a spade brown do it in 30mins Turf Teq would do it in 15 mins
And they have other attachments
Bushog
Broom
power rake
Finish mower
Snowplow
I think offer a snow blower
So turf teq you buy and use it for more then a bed edger

Exact Rototilling
03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the input I have thought of the full throttle WB edgers. Brown ....Turf Torque.

Heck... I've even thought of the Brown sidewalk dedicated edger with the Honda GX160 but I'd need to be doing more edging jobs to justify that.

I have a Tanaka TLE 600 and McLane WB.

I'll just go for the PAS 280 and bed edger attachment to start and see how it goes. Much rather do that than trim bushes and prune. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the input I have thought of the full throttle WB edgers. Brown ....Turf Torque.

Heck... I've even thought of the Brown sidewalk dedicated edger with the Honda GX160 but I'd need to be doing more edging jobs to justify that.

I have a Tanaka TLE 600 and McLane WB.

I'll just go for the PAS 280 and bed edger attachment to start and see how it goes. Much rather do that than trim bushes and prune. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Bad thing with Brown model I had for bed edging you had drag it backwards by hand The turf teq is a true WB Drive kinda like a WB mower

Exact Rototilling
03-18-2012, 09:53 PM
I have a few Trench Blades but I was not all that impressed.....:rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device