PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to get rid of green moss in a lawn?

Gabby
03-18-2012, 02:21 PM
After the really rainy summer last year I am experiencing a lot of green moss in the lawn. What is the pest thing to put down to get rid of it without killing the lawn? Thanks.

RigglePLC
03-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Best way is to get rid of shade. Moss is not competitive if the grass gets at least 4 hours of direct sun per day. At least a third of the overhead should have blue sky visible. Heavy and frequent seeding of a quality shade blend will be a big help.

Second choice is any number of brands of products containing ferrous sulfate--as Scotts Moss Control. Turns it black--but not long lasting. Changing the acid level or lime seldom works.

Gabby
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Heavy and frequent seeding of a quality shade blend will be a big help.

When you say heavy and frequent seeding what do you mean? Over seed the area by laying down a heavy layer of seed right on top of the lawn that is there without loosening anything up or does it all have to be ripped up, soil loosened and then heavily seeded?

RigglePLC
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Heavy seeding works fine if you cannot do proper soil preparation. Say perennial rye goes in at 5 to 7 pounds per thousand sq ft, you would want to bump it up to 10 to 14 pounds per thousand. Costly--but seed is cheaper than labor.

Otherwise a heavy raking or power raking followed by seed should work. I have a bit of experience trying to overseed mossy areas, but I still have a lot of areas of my own lawn that die out almost every year due to shade. Ugly dirt.
This year I will try to seed both spring and fall.

RigglePLC
04-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Heavy seeding works fine if you cannot do proper soil preparation. Say perennial rye goes in at 5 to 7 pounds per thousand sq ft, you would want to bump it up to 10 to 14 pounds per thousand. Costly--but seed is cheaper than labor.

Otherwise a heavy raking or power raking followed by seed should work. I have a bit of experience trying to overseed mossy areas, but I still have a lot of areas of my own lawn that die out almost every year due to shade. Ugly dirt.
This year I will try to seed both spring and fall.

Chilehead
04-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes, ferrous sulfate will work but you may want to do a soil test to check for iron levels/ nutrient uptake first. I usually use plain iron to knock it out.
Posted via Mobile Device