PDA

View Full Version : First lawn renovation, Sodding questions

zspeed130
03-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I will try to keep it short. I am new at this. This is a good client who I know will water. (I may actually be installing irrigation which I have done once before).

I have killed much of what is there. He wants 2" of sod cut off. Till what is left. Level and mix in about an inch of compost and some fertilizer to help the soil. Install the sod over that. The reason for removing some and or tilling is that he has one high spot in a bad place and a couple of low spots so I need to do something.

Do you all think it is a bad idea to cut the old sod off? Should I just try to talk him into tilling what is there and I can level that? He does have some low spots. Also should I roll the soil after I level it and also after the sod is applied?

I have done lots of reading but it seems there are so many opinions.

Thanks if you have time.

Z

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I would till whats there and wait cpl days then till it again grade it Some rolls it before some dont

RigglePLC
03-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Tilling can leave clumps of sod. Lumpy lawn. Remove the old sod with sod cutter and haul away; fix high and low spots, establish perfect grade and surface drainage--adding sub surface drainage tubes if needed.

Lightly till-in any soil additions(not really needed), add starter fert and lay sod. Do not roll, or if roll, only without water weight... just enough to firm new sod into place.

Smallaxe
03-20-2012, 08:17 AM
If he want 2" revoved then go ahead and do it... everything will be much easier from then on, especially tilling and leveling... Settle the soil with water, rather than a roller and rake out any discrepencies after it dries...
How large an area are you talking about?

zspeed130
03-20-2012, 10:44 PM
About 4500 Sq Ft. Not bad really. Mostly one big square.

Z

Smallaxe
03-21-2012, 06:16 PM
4.5K of turf, isn't that much turf to haul away, but I might set the sod cutter at an inch rather than 2... Have fun...