PDA

View Full Version : F-150 '99 Payload capacity

DavesLL
03-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Important question (to me). Owner's manual isn't really being very helpful; to figure it from what the manual says I'm going to have to go to a vehicle weigh station. Some googling has shown a few different answers. And I'm not sure of the exact weights of some of the things I'll be hauling this year.

1999 F-150 Super Cab 5.4 V8 engine. The best information I've found online shows I should be able to safely put 2000lb in the bed, with another 3300lb on tow.

I recently took a cubic yard of #5 stone in two loads; the vendor indicated each half cubic yard was about 1500lbs. The truck rode and ran fine with that in the bed. Volume wise 1.5 cubic yards of stone will fit without spilling, but with something like stone I know it's much more about the weight than the volume.

So I'm looking for any comments on what people have hauled in their F-150s, so I can get a better feel for what I can do. Stone and occasionally pavers are going to be the heaviest things I'll be hauling; I'm not really concerned with overloading (weight wise) with material like mulch. But any comments would be useful if someone with an experience to relate could take the time to dash off a post.

Thanks in advance.

ecurbthims
03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
theres a sticker thats probably on the door of your truck ,it will tell you the weight capacity of the truck ,any more and your risking a ticket .

watsmi57
03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
that truck is rated to haul about 1000 lbs. yes it CAN haul more but its not really built to do it. if you have a utility trailer of any size it probably can haul more than your truck..

LarryF
03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
that truck is rated to haul about 1000 lbs. yes it CAN haul more but its not really built to do it. if you have a utility trailer of any size it probably can haul more than your truck..

And that may be why an F150 is generally referred to as a half-ton pickup. IMO, the guy who operates the loader where I buy stone is pretty sharp, so I go along with his recommendation when he's loading my trailer and keep it under 1500 pounds, and he's always been able to eyeball it to within about a hundred pounds. When I have needed more than that, I let the stone yard deliver it for me.

hosejockey2002
03-19-2012, 09:37 PM

It's impossible to tell how much weight a truck is rated for by looking at the emblem on the side. An F150 may be a "half-ton" truck, but there are versions of the F150 (Raptor) that are rated for barely 1000 pounds and others such as the F150HD that can haul nearly 3000. My Chevy 2500HD (2WD, gas regular cab work truck) has a cargo weight rating on the door jamb of over 3900 pounds, but the crew cab 4WD diesel version of the same truck is only rated at about half that because it is so much heavier empty. Bottom line, the only way to know is to weigh the truck empty and do the math. There is some fudge room for overloading of course (we all do it), but performance, safety and longevity suffer as the weight goes up.

unkownfl
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
GVWR minus curb weight it's right on your door. You can tow anything legally as long as you don't exceed your axle rating on any axles. It's all on your door jam. Keep in mind curb weight is truck plus liquids no passengers or gear.

Deori
03-22-2012, 01:14 AM
I've got an '01 F150 SCAB 2wd with the V6. It's rated at about 1800 lbs payload. I feel comfortable up to 2000, not towing at the same time. I don't like putting more than that in there but I'm sure I have before. I've had this truck nearly 10 years and I've worked it pretty good but if I'm towing I don't usually have more than 1000 in the bed and if I've got 2000 in the bed I don't really want to be towing at all. If you're going to do that, drive slow! It'll take a while to stop.

Mine has been mainly a mowing truck that gets some heavier weight in it a few times a month. If you're going to be hauling stone while towing on a majority basis, I'd say you should look into a bigger truck or you'll wear it out quickly. Hope that helps, best of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device