PDA

View Full Version : pesticide storage

TYSON HARTLEY
12-09-2002, 03:48 PM
I was wondering if I started my Lawn care service and I offered fertilizing and pesticide services how would i go about storing these products I was told I could not store them In my garage I would have to use a commerical storage area would publice storage be good enough(were people store furniture and thing when they move).Or would I have to use a place that specialize in storage of these materials.

f350
12-09-2002, 04:24 PM
OUTSTANDING QUESTION!!!!

it's about time,

the need to check with your local doa office. they will tell you what you need to know. i doubt a storage facility wants hazmat in their compound. my states laws are really simple, pesticides need to be out of reach for children and animals. this is not required, but i also contacted the fire marshall and let him know the contents of my storage lockers. i use steel hazmat cabinets for all oil's, degreasers and pesticides.. everything stays locked.

KLR
12-09-2002, 04:24 PM
best to check with your state pesticide bureau

or perhaps someboby here is from IL and can help you?

dhicks
12-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Sorry but if you cannot store them at home in a garage, then you cannot store them in a public facility. At least here in MD, and each state must meet EPA requirements, pesticides cannot be stored in close proximity to human contact and that includes. food, water supplies, or where there is a possibility of a contact exposure.

Again, here in MD the storage facility, must be well ventilated, secured, lighted, have access to potable H20, and the storage facility must be clearly marked with warning signs. The list goes on-and-on.

I just donot see a storage facility allowing the storage of hazardous material in their facility. Let alone, assume the liability issue(s) re pesticides.

Lesco and my other vendors will allow me to store my product at their facility. I buy it and they store it. I come and get it as needed. There is no charge and they are certified for pesticide storage.

Randy Scott
12-09-2002, 06:31 PM
I assume you are not certified to even apply these products otherwise you would know this answer. You need, as said by others, to contact your state department of agriculture, trade, and consumer protection. The number will be in the government section of your white pages phone book. Start there, they will give you all the information you will need to get the ball rolling.

Tony Harrell
12-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Good question but, you're putting the cart in front of the horse. Get certified, get some business and buy enough to get the job done. As you grow, you'll figure out what to do.

fblandscape
12-19-2002, 12:41 AM
I had just mentioned in another post.
A small storage building which would be approved for keeping pesticides starts at $10,000.

If you keep pesticides in your home or shop, and that building burns down with so much as a single bottle or bag of pesticides in it... the DEC can declare the whole mess HAZMAT and you pay out a LOT of money to have that mess cleaned up and hauled away.

Fvstringpicker
12-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Don't mean to keep beating up on you Ty, but from the way you phrased your question most of us are assuming you're not certified. Hence, that's why we believe you'd already know the answer to your question if you were. Generally, if you are not certified, you can't apply pesticides to someone elses property so the question about where to store is moot. At some point, everyone interested in pesticide application comes to realize there's a lot more involved than any single issue such as where to store inventory. You're going to have to know principles of pest control, formulations, avoiding harmful effect to you and the environment, calibration of equipment, size of target area, disposal, etc, ect, not to mention type pest and disease agents. The best advice again, if you haven't already done it, is to check with state's department of agriculture. We're just trying to keep you out of trouble.