PDA

View Full Version : BOP Quickie 32 Slowing Down

RocketLab
03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
My Quickie 32 single hydro has gotten slower almost down to a slow walk. I've adjusted the cables per the manual numerous times before with good results but it no longer seems to have an effect. I can go with no play in the levers or the recommended play and the drive speed is still slower than it has ever been.

Can it just be the cables have stretched too much even though the lever on the drive system does not seem to have any more movement that I can see when the lever is fully pulled? Or is my transmission wearing out in such a way as to lose it's speed? 875 hours on the machine.

Any ideas or anyone else having this problem?

Valk
03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
PM sent to RocketLab.

kipper
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I seem to have the same issue on a quick 36 with only about 65 hours.

TMAC669
03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Should have bought a Scag. There is commercial grade equipment and there is different levels of commercial grade equipment. Scag is top of the line commercial equipment, you get what you pay for.

kipper
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Lol!! Thanks for the help...

Valk
03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Should have bought a Scag. There is commercial grade equipment and there is different levels of commercial grade equipment. Scag is top of the line commercial equipment, you get what you pay for.

Wow...you're running a 32 foot wide Scag walk behind mower with 16hp??? Dude!

RocketLab
03-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks for your insight. Really helped out.

Valk I got a little more speed backing off the reverse like you suggested. Going to tighten up the forward some more and see what happens. Not going to worry about amount of play in the lever but maybe how much play before you feel the hydro start to kick in.

Valk
03-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Stretched cables will contribute to this...and if the forward cable is getting ready to break -> this can be another cause. I keep replacements with me at all times. A real easy fix.

Strangest thing: just by having replacement parts on hand, whatever the part, I swear those items don't break nearly as often.

RocketLab
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Is BOP your source for these cables or do we have another outlet?

Valk
03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Am thinking the cables are proprietary from BOP. The more I think about your dilemma, the more I'd suggest just installing a new forward cable and see where you land.

lifetree
03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Am thinking the cables are proprietary from BOP. ...

I don't think so ... I believe these are standard cables available from most outlets ... however, I could be wrong !!

Valk
03-29-2012, 11:00 PM
It's my understanding that several parts (clutch, transaxle, spindles, cables) were built to BOP's specs by other manufacturers. Whether they are available elsewhere I do not know.

kipper
04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I replaced my cables and still have the same problem. It actually wont go in reverse.

Valk
04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
When adjusting the cables, are you turning the inner 'barrel' counterclockwise, thus expanding the distance between the upper and lower hex pieces?

This is a 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' scenario. In other words, you must give up some forward speed to increase reverse speed. At one time I had mine over-adjusted for forward speed and it flat out moved faster than I could ever want to go/mow requiring a jog to keep up with it...of course, there was nearly no reverse available when setup for this pace.

Is the return spring still intact to bring this mechanism back to zero when neither handle is activated?

Email Gary at sales@betteroutdoorproducts.com.