PDA

View Full Version : Truck and trailer signs?

WHIPPLE5.7
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Has anyone ran their operation both with and without lettering on trucks and trailers to see if it is worth having on there?

WHIPPLE5.7
03-20-2012, 11:44 AM
100 views and not one opinion on this? Is the question too much for some to understand?

01thump
03-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Well might just be a dumb question ...if you have no sign on your stuff going down the road it looks like you are just towing stuff down the road...if you have a sign on your stuff going down the road maybe someone will think hey that guy might be in business so maybe i will call him....oh and then to answer your question you would have to do a study with and with out the signs to see how many people picked up on it and how many did not to see if it is worth having the sign on you stuff...there hope that helps you out a little bit...oh and you might want to ask your insurance company about signs on your stuff where i am from the price of insurance goes up with a sign...

knox gsl
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
A professionally lettered work vehical says that you're in the business not a weekend warior or part time fireman. It doesn't need to be a new truck but does need to be clean and in good repair. It's also a small part of your complete advertising program, truck signage, website, flyers, business cards, quality work, yard signs door hangers, and social networking.

Shawn S
03-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Nicely lettered and logoed vehicles are a rollling billboard, why wouldn't you want it? It's a very inexpensive way to advertise.

Of course if your truck and trailer are all beat up then maybe run without signage. All of our "nice" vehicles have nice lettering done by a local sign company. I have a 91 Chevy pickup with peeling paint and rust and it has no signage.

Poorboy's landscaping
03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
My trailer will be stickered. Now for the truck I would not like it to be, as it my dd draiver not just the work truck.

Deererunner
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I see your from the Northeast.. If your from Jersey, its law that your truck needs to be registered. If you are registered commercially, which you should be, the truck must display the GVW, DOT # if over 10,001 K, Company Name, City and State and at least 2 sides of the vechile in 3" lettering. I know of this because I was pulled over this weekend for not having my company name displayed. I normally run magnets on my one truck to keep it looking clean when not used for work purpose but now its being sent in to get lettered.

Mainly what I am saying is, Look into your state laws to make sure that you are following all of the laws for your state.

Oakleaf landscape
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I used to have an open trailer and no signage at all on either the truck or trailer. Then I bought an enclosed trailer this year and got it all lettered up. It has gotten me a few calls from prospective customers, but no work has panned out of it. But when I pull up to a new clients yard, they do compliment my truck and trailer, and say it looks very nice. I feel that it helps present myself as a professional and that i'm not just another kid cutting grass. I'm only 20 and am a full time student. Helps me sell that I don't just do it on the side.

rreyn1812
03-22-2012, 05:05 PM
I have a 16 ft open trailer, with just a basic sign (4 in letters) stating what I do (lawn, bush-hog, tree service) and my phone number on each side of the trailer (hand made signs). And a sign with just "lawn care + phone" on the gate facing to the rear.

I have a new 18 ft open PJ trailer on order and I have some professionally made signs ready to go on it when it gets here.

I just got back from meeting with a potential customer who called me after he got my number from the sign. I generally get 3 to 4 calls per year from people who get my number from the trailer. Half the time, the person is sitting behind me at a light and gives me a call. If you don't have some kind of sign, then there is no way for someone to call when your rig reminds them they want to hire someone to do their lawn work.

This is the only advertising I do, but I do have professional business cards. The great majority of my work has been developed by word of mouth and that works the best for me and I've got all the work I want.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I have a 16 ft open trailer, with just a basic sign (4 in letters) stating what I do (lawn, bush-hog, tree service) and my phone number on each side of the trailer (hand made signs). And a sign with just "lawn care + phone" on the gate facing to the rear.

I have a new 18 ft open PJ trailer on order and I have some professionally made signs ready to go on it when it gets here.

I just got back from meeting with a potential customer who called me after he got my number from the sign. I generally get 3 to 4 calls per year from people who get my number from the trailer. Half the time, the person is sitting behind me at a light and gives me a call. If you don't have some kind of sign, then there is no way for someone to call when your rig reminds them they want to hire someone to do their lawn work.

This is the only advertising I do, but I do have professional business cards. The great majority of my work has been developed by word of mouth and that works the best for me and I've got all the work I want.

Thats the kind of info I'm looking for, thank you. 3 or 4 calls a year isn't many. I recently put signs on my truck and have been wondering if I should do some on my enclosed trailer. It will cost close to $500 to do the trailer so before I do it I kind of want to have an idea of its its worth it or not. Also I have a personal truck with no lettering and I've considered keeping the trailer non lettered in case I use the trailer for hauling ATVs to the mountains or something. In that case I'd almost ratehr not have lettering but those would be rare occassions.

rreyn1812
03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Thats the kind of info I'm looking for, thank you. 3 or 4 calls a year isn't many. I recently put signs on my truck and have been wondering if I should do some on my enclosed trailer. It will cost close to $500 to do the trailer so before I do it I kind of want to have an idea of its its worth it or not. Also I have a personal truck with no lettering and I've considered keeping the trailer non lettered in case I use the trailer for hauling ATVs to the mountains or something. In that case I'd almost ratehr not have lettering but those would be rare occassions.

A lot will be driven by where you live, rural vs city. If you live/work in a large city then I would think the signage would be much more important. I'm mostly rural with the largest town I've serviced being about 50,000 population about 10 miles away. I've picked up more customers from walk-ups & drive-bys than from calls resulting from signs. Of course, the most of my customers have come from referrals.

334redlandman
03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
i get calls saying im behind you right now, ive seen your truck, your truck is pretty, ive seen you everywhere. the customer wants to know its you when you pull up for estimates too. and while your sitting in someones yard people ride by and go wow that looks good im gonna call him. magnets are cheap. just make sure you dont leave your truck parked somewhere for a long time or in a busy lot. competition WILL take your signs. But they are cheap so no big deal. i buy my 12x16 signs for my ford ranger for 15 a piece and i have a sign on my trailer gate too.

GreenI.A.
03-24-2012, 12:22 AM
My trucks are all fully wrapped or heavily lettered. Last year I had about 87k in revenue from people who called after seeing a truck or the enclosed trailer. I had been tempted to do less lettering on the truck I drive as a daily driver but am glad I did not, I got a $42k install from someone who saw my truck when I was at a family function in an area I do not normally work in or market. For me it is a no brainer to have lettering. Also like one poster said above some states require it. Here in MA you need to have lettering with commercial plates, police can ticket you each day you do not have lettering, or in the opposite case can ticket a lettered truck which has regular plates. Some departments enforce this relentlessness, others could care less.